VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anyone have experience with these device kits for calibrating computer monitors?
    There is a video on youtube which shows a guy testing both systems to calibrate his monitor (I'm not sure which Colormunki he used - I think it was Colormunki Display). He found that they produced different results.

I don't know whether he used the devices and their software correctly, but assuming he did, why were the results so different?
    If his results are valid, which system is more accurate?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    I use the Spider pro and I am happy with it.

I have heard only the top model Colormunki is a worthwhile alternative.

You definitely got to have a good and recent (e.g. after 2008) monitor to get useful results.
    Many older monitors will simply be too dark to be of any use.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Absurd, newpball. Monitors for video work are calibrated to a brightness of 120 cdm2, not the 350 footcandles you're using out of the box to burn logos into the paint on the walls in your viewing room.

The O.P. should be using an IPS display or better for video or graphics. So if you want to specify "newer", then brightness isn't the issue. Color Accuracy and good blacks are priority.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Absurd, newpball. Monitors for video work are calibrated to a brightness of 120 cdm2, not the 350 footcandles you're using out of the box to burn logos into the paint on the walls in your viewing room.

The O.P. should be using an IPS display or better for video or graphics. So if you want to specify "newer", then brightness isn't the issue. Color Accuracy and good blacks are priority.
    So what color calibration do you use LMotlow and what monitor(s)?

It is not about the brightness, I notice with older monitors after calibrating I can not distinguish the darks.
    Last edited by newpball; 27th Mar 2015 at 08:09.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Fairly modest setup for a small working area and 3 PC's:

LG Flatron IPS226
    HP ZR2240W
    Now and then I hook up the old Samsung L781 17" LCD for my old capture PC. Maybe once a year, for a nostalgia hit.

X-Rite EODIS3 i1 Display Pro
    HCFR software for TV setup and PC monitor checks

Between the Spyder4 and ColorMunki, take your pick of the best of two evils. ColorMunki has a more accurate sensor but results could be better if the software routine allowed you to use custom RGB controls in the monitor for initial setup. Otherwise, it's almost entirely automated. Spyder4 software is more detailed in the Advanced mode, but sensor QC is iffy, black levels tend to be inaccurate at low IRE's, with grayscale mostly OK but not as right-on as the i1 sensors when it comes to consistent saturation levels.

With a good monitor, you'll have to be pretty sharp eyed to find a difference between the two products, unless your Spyder is a lemon. I've had enough of Spyder's weird QC to last a lifetime, though, so I usually go with Xrite/i1. Choose your poison.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 26th Mar 2015 at 21:01.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use Spyder4 but with dispcalGUI, works best.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What is the gold standard for deciding which system produces the most accurate results?

This article claims that in a review of 6 calibrator systems, the X-Rite low-end offering, ColorMunki Smile, produced the "most accurate" results, based on the lowest Delta E.
    http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/02/25/best-monitor-calibrator-for-photographers...ted-and-rated/
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by liddle View Post
    What is the gold standard for deciding which system produces the most accurate results?

This article claims that in a review of 6 calibrator systems, the X-Rite low-end offering, ColorMunki Smile, produced the "most accurate" results, based on the lowest Delta E.
    http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2014/02/25/best-monitor-calibrator-for-photographers...ted-and-rated/
    I wonder why you are so concerned, what monitors(s) do you have to calibrate and what work do you do with it?
    Quote Quote