VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Samsung TV and it has a USB port, sometimes I watch videos put on a key from my TV.

But strangely, I noticed that sometimes it cuts my video before the end, when I check if the video file has a problem on my computer, no worries, the video is going well until the end.

Do you have an idea of the reason of that?

Maybe because of a setting (or wrong setting) of the TV that cut my video or there would be a problem with the time?
    Sometimes I have videos of 1h30 or 2 hours, this could be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this helps but my TV & DVD player can only access files up to 1GB.
    Anything beyond 1GB is ignored
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Generally the firmware on those TVs is of miserable quality so no surprises here!
    You will be much better off getting a HTPC. Any simple media player is vastly more capable than that garbage that is generally put in TVs.

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing View Post
    Not sure if this helps but my TV & DVD player can only access files up to 1GB.
    Anything beyond 1GB is ignored
    If true then this is yet another instance of unbelievably sloppy firmware engineering.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your answer, IKnowNothing

on other sites, people say that the problem might be the debit, or else the file itself and that it should be re-encode.
    Or that because the video file is 1Gb (or more) that is why it cut

For me, I think that if the problem is the size, the tv should not normally play the file at all, and not play half of it...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've played mkv files bigger than 1 gb on a newer samsung tv with no cutoff so it most likely a problem with the video file.Computers are generally more forgiving with errors.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it's because your Tv is newer that mine, that's why it doesn't have this problem, johns.

The file is 847 Mb, so it's strange because it isn't heavy, justly.

I re-encode it in mp4 or avi and the problem persist.

On the web, people said maybe it's a problem with the usb key.
    So, I tried putting the video on other usb keys, and it's the same problem.
    Then I used my external hard drive, the video also cut before his end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I tested with a 1Gb video that lasts 2 hours and as I thought, it's the same result, the TV cut the video 20 minutes before the end.
    Moreover, I re-encore this 1Gb video, after put it on the usb key, I plug it in the tv and... no change
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The length doesn't seem to be the problem because I played a 1h47 video (700 Mb) without any interruption.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This whole thread illustrates what I have said numerous times here. When consumers buy TVs with media players, there is an assumption that the player will perfectly play EVERY file they ever put in it without any problems on any device they attach to it. But reality is much different. TV media players have all kinds of limitations on formats they will play. And in your case yours seems to have some weird bug where it prematurely ends your videos during playback.

You want to use the free media player that comes with your TV? Then you accept that fact that it won't be problem free.
    You want problem free media playback? Then you buy a real media player like a Western Digital or something similar that actually does what it is supposed to do - play your videos correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You want to use the free media player that comes with your TV? Then you accept that fact that it won't be problem free.
    You want problem free media playback? Then you buy a real media player like a Western Digital or something similar that actually does what it is supposed to do - play your videos correctly.
    Exactly use a HTPC!
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have a Samsung TV and it'll play pretty much anything I throw at it via USB (all the common formats). It's about four years old. Very, very occasionally, it won't play something but that's fairly rare. Nothing to do with file size though. I've played MKVs well over 10GB in size. I've never had a problem with any of my own encodes (Xvid/AVI or h264/MKV/MP4). It has a 2TB drive size limit, but no file size limit I'm aware of.

The next thing to try might be to split one of the problem files in half. You can do that with MKVMergeGUI (it'll open various file types and remux them as MKV). MKVMergeGUI has splitting options under the Global tab. If a file that won't play to the end does play okay after you've split it in half, then the TV must have some sort of file size/length limitation. It'd be a tad annoying to have to split files before transferring them to a USB drive, although it's not hard and doesn't take long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for your contributions.

Like you said, problem seems to be the TV itself, his firmware or others parts and components, I can't know exactly what.

In any case I'll fall back on the solution that has always worked carefree and not complicated.

I liked the TVs of the brand Samsung because it plays a very large number of files.
    (That's what I loved about my own, before discovering the problem on this topic)
    At a friend's home, he is still annoyed because his TV (another brand) is very limited for file playback, sometimes it makes him "unable to read this file"

I conclude, in case if people having the same problem seeing this topic here.

I guess I would not find a solution currently. I'll get around the problem.

I'll plug my laptop with my TV through an HDMI cable and play the video from my computer.
    I already have used this method with my family, to look at photos directly on TV from the computer.
    Quote Quote