VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. At least according to this very non-comprehensive test that I found:

http://forum.mediacoderhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13184&start=10

According to the poster:

Quality from best to worst
    x264 veryslow 2pass > x265 medium > NVENC H265 ≥ x264 medium > NVENC H264

The big thing is that speed was said to be 200fps!

He has posted some test samples, I just received my tax refund, I think I'm going to have to treat myself and run some extensive tests to see how accurate his assessments are.

The other thing to remember is that the new NVENC exposes a number of quality settings that Media Coder doesn't support at the moment, only the plugin for Premiere Pro has those options, so it may be that with better settings NVENC could move up in the ranks of quality, at the expense of speed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Quality from best to worst
    this would mean the exact opposite of what your title says.

NVENC H265 is worse in quality than x264 and x265, it is only faster, also without exact settings and the source no one can reproduce the results.
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Selur View Post

NVENC H265 is worse in quality than x264 and x265, it is only faster, also without exact settings and the source no one can reproduce the results.
    How does it mean "the exact opposite"? It says that NVENC H265 is greater than or equal to x264 medium, as for the source it's a well known test sequence that I have seen and used dozens of times and you know the exact presets used for the software encoders and as I pointed out Media Coder doesn't yet expose any settings for NVENC, so...
    Quote Quote  
  4. it also sais that nVENC H265 is worse than x265 medium and x264 veryslow 2pass,...
    + I only see a single screen shot and I'm not surprised that with a relative low bit rate (when looking at the source and source resolution) an encoder with more smoothing will win. (Depending in the settings VP9 will also be better than x264 medium)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post

How does it mean "the exact opposite"? It says that NVENC H265 is greater than or equal to x264 medium, as for the source it's a well known test sequence that I have seen and used dozens of times and you know the exact presets used for the software encoders and as I pointed out Media Coder doesn't yet expose any settings for NVENC, so...
    A > B

Means: A is greater than B.

Quote Quote  
  6. So "x264 veryslow 2pass > x265 medium > NVENC H265" means that "x264 veryslow 2pass" is better than NVENC H265 and "NVENC H265 ≥ x264 medium" means that "NVENC H265" isn't clearly better and x264, otherwise a ">" would have been used. Summing that up, it seems wrong to state that 'Nvidia NVENC HEVC is better than x264'.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have a question:
    What graphics cards work with Nvidia CUDA HEVC?
    How to set the parameters for the encoder? I would like to test it a little bit.
    Quote Quote  
  8. for H.265 encoding you need a Marvell or newer NVIDIA card.

How to set the parameters for the encoder?
    If you use NVEncC you can set them through the command line.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK
    Last edited by Jamaika; 25th Mar 2015 at 05:30.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    for H.265 encoding you need a Marvell or newer NVIDIA card.

How to set the parameters for the encoder?
    If you use NVEncC you can set them through the command line.
    Marvel (without the extra L is a comic book company), Maxwell is the gpu architecture named after a physicist (not the coffee).

With Media Coder you can click on "encoder" and a new window will pop up that allows you to configure some parameters, though that implementation doesn't yet expose all the settings.
    Quote Quote  
  11. LOL, nice typo from myself.
    Quote Quote