VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Only recently did I go shopping for an inexpensive bluray player. At the big box store they told me blurays no longer are fitted with a composite connection which I use with an old Sony Trinitron.

The set is old but sharp and some connections on the back are flaky. I have connected the
    video composite plug from the front to my Sony dvd player. The audio is connected to a receiver/amp.

If I want to simply get a new player to work with both dvd and bluray plus the occasional CD
    what sort of cabling or bluray purchase can I get by with until a more general upgrade of
    system is needed?

I have seen everything from HDMI boxes costing $20.00 to cable sets costing 66 cents.

Please advise.

Also the composite cable I'm using is long. Indicate what sort of patch is needed for a run of 25 ft. Box at one end plus long wire or other.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Please advise.
    Sure, it is absurd to try to connect a blu-ray player to a composite input.

That's like putting Ferrari breaks on some 1970 Volkswagen.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So what do those cables and boxes do? Are they scams or vaporware?

I simply don't know the difference.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    So what do those cables and boxes do? Are they scams or vaporware?

I simply don't know the difference.
    The point is that blu-ray is high definition but composite is not.

If you want to enjoy HD it is time to depart from your good old Trinitron.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As you pointed out, there are boxes that claim to take a hdmi output (from your player) to a composite input (for your CRT)

If you read the reviews (Amazon etc.) there are mixed reports that they work. IIRC there is a topic or two on here about them as well.

One of the reviews I just read says that they do not support 60hz output so that might well exclude them for you. Someone with more technical knowledge might wish to contribute to that.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Yes I'd like to see a few more replies. If it's simply a no-go with the old screen that answers my question.

If HD quality is the concern, the Sony gives me adequate playback for my needs and has
    for-- 25 years or close to it.

To view content I may take the other route of upgrading to a bluray recorder and view that content
    on my 17in computer CRT.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only recently did I go shopping for an inexpensive bluray player. At the big box store they told me blurays no longer are fitted with a composite connection which I use with an old Sony Trinitron.

The set is old but sharp and some connections on the back are flaky. I have connected the
    video composite plug from the front to my Sony dvd player. The audio is connected to a receiver/amp.

If I want to simply get a new player to work with both dvd and bluray plus the occasional CD
    what sort of cabling or bluray purchase can I get by with until a more general upgrade of
    system is needed?

I have seen everything from HDMI boxes costing $20.00 to cable sets costing 66 cents.

Please advise.

Also the composite cable I'm using is long. Indicate what sort of patch is needed for a run of 25 ft. Box at one end plus long wire or other.
    Someone recommended an HDMI to composite converter in your other thread. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356492-What-s-the-latest-on-inexpensive-bluray-regi...=1#post2360599 He also recommended current model Blu-Ray player that has composite video out in that other thread, but the composite out only works for DVD playback, not Blu-Ray.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356492-What-s-the-latest-on-inexpensive-bluray-regi...=1#post2360025
    http://www.sears.com/seiki-u-vision-blu-ray-disk-player/p-05737800000P?gclid=CJzlw-rev...FVU2gQodTSgAXg
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiosity, why are you so wed to such out of date equipment (composite only CRT and 17" monitor). While I understand the appeal of CRTs (I'm planning to get a Triniton for my retro games, but currently don't have space), newer and higher quality replacements (i.e. CRTs with component and HDMI, 19" - 21" CRT monitors) are so cheap and readily available, often FREE. I've even seen the the holy grail of Trinitrons, the 34XBR960 for less than $100 a few times.

I was a long-time hold out on CRTs (going through about two dozen Trinitrons and PC monitors over the years), but now having moved on to Plasma and LCDs, I don't know why I held out so long.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    If HD quality is the concern, the Sony gives me adequate playback for my needs and has
    for-- 25 years or close to it.
    Then why waste money buying a blu-ray?

To view content I may take the other route of upgrading to a bluray recorder and view that content
    on my 17in computer CRT.
    My personal troll meter starts to become active.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    on my 17in computer CRT.
    You mean a Blu-Ray burner, not a Blu-Ray recorder. Is that monitor HDCP compliant? If not your idea probably won't work very well unless you invest in some software that removes Blu-Ray encryption and use free players. Commercial software Blu-Ray players require HDCP compliance on the video card and monitor connections.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Is that monitor HDCP compliant?
    Tell me you are kidding, how can ancient 17 inch CRT monitor possibly be HDCP compliant?

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Is that monitor HDCP compliant?
    Tell me you are kidding, how can ancient 17 inch CRT monitor possibly be HDCP compliant?

Of course it is rhetorical question.

I already mentioned the need for HDCP compliance in his other Blu-Ray player thread. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356492-What-s-the-latest-on-inexpensive-bluray-regi...=1#post2360601

We are largely going over old ground here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wait till it comes out on 'Beta'!!

kidding, o' course, -c-
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Only recently did I go shopping for an inexpensive bluray player. At the big box store they told me blurays no longer are fitted with a composite connection which I use with an old Sony Trinitron.

system is needed?

Please advise.

Someone recommended an HDMI to composite converter in your other thread. https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356492-What-s-the-latest-on-inexpensive-bluray-regi...=1#post2360599 He also recommended current model Blu-Ray player that has composite video out in that other thread, but the composite out only works for DVD playback, not Blu-Ray.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356492-What-s-the-latest-on-inexpensive-bluray-regi...=1#post2360025
    http://www.sears.com/seiki-u-vision-blu-ray-disk-player/p-05737800000P?gclid=CJzlw-rev...FVU2gQodTSgAXg

Quite frankly this thread continued after I read the part about needing separate software
    for the Bluray recorders used in computer setup.

Things remain confused but I did not follow the thread after a certain point and forgot
    about it.

The pertinent information was about a Seiki model which I never heard of and apparently available at Sears in the US. I'll see if anything is available from Sears on it.

It seems way to easy to get caught with a unit that doesn't do this or that region or Pal/NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    At the big box store they told me blurays no longer are fitted with a composite connection which I use with an old Sony Trinitron.

A lot of new cheap-ass blu-ray players have HDMI output only. That way when the HDMI jack fails (and they do) you can toss the player and purchase another. Why give the consumer multiple hook-up options?
    Seriously though, look around for a slightly older model player that has more outputs. Check out eBay. I prefer having all the options, composite, component, analog audio, as well as the HDMI & digital audio outs. I like the older Panasonics that still support RAM playback.

Find a Blu-ray player with the additional jacks, and hook it up the same way your current DVD player is connected. Don't mess with adapters.

What's with all the chop bustin'? If the OP is happy with their CRT, let it be. Maybe they aren't so concerned about 720 or 1080. Perhaps they just would like a new player with the ability to access extra content, streaming, and play more types of discs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mikey man View Post
    A lot of new cheap-ass blu-ray players have HDMI output only. That way when the HDMI jack fails (and they do) you can toss the player and purchase another. Why give the consumer multiple hook-up options?
    That wasn't the reason. The technology licenses needed to decrypt commercial Blu-Ray discs required the gradual elimination of all analog connections. The responsible parties didn't want anyone to have the ability to record Blu-Ray movies with an analog capture device.

2012 was the last year that manufacturers were permitted to get a license for a Blu-Ray player that allowed composite video and analog stereo audio to be used for Blu-Ray playback, although some Blu-Ray players licensed that year just had HDMI and maybe digital coaxial. I got an LG BP220 for my parents that year. It has composite out for Blu-Ray and DVD, assuming the firmware update I performed in 2013 didn't cripple that feature. The LG BP320 and LG BP620, also from 2012, have composite video and analog stereo audio too.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That wasn't the reason. The technology licenses needed to decrypt commercial Blu-Ray discs required the gradual elimination of all analog connections. The responsible parties didn't want anyone to have the ability to record Blu-Ray movies with an analog capture device.

2012 was the last year that manufacturers were permitted to get a license for a Blu-Ray player that allowed composite video and analog stereo audio to be used for Blu-Ray playback, although some Blu-Ray players licensed that year just had HDMI and maybe digital coaxial. I got an LG BP220 for my parents that year. It has composite out for Blu-Ray and DVD, assuming the firmware update I performed in 2013 didn't cripple that feature. The LG BP320 and LG BP620, also from 2012, have composite video and analog stereo audio too.
    Thanks for cluing me in!

Now that you mentioned it, I do recall reading about eliminating analog connections.

I was mostly ranting about the lack of features and the poor build quality of today's electronics.
    I'm glad I've hoarded a bunch of older equipment. Now I'm scared to update firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    I'm glad I've hoarded a bunch of older equipment.
    Out of curiosity what equipment have you horded?

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I'm glad I've hoarded a bunch of older equipment.
    Out of curiosity what equipment have you horded?

I've got several Panasonic and a few LG DVD-Recorders, several Panasonic and a couple LG Blu-Ray players, a few LG HD OTA receivers (3510)
    Also, have a BNIB Sony 34XBR970 as a back-up, along with a few VCRs & LaserDisc players and a Toshiba HD-DVD player.
    Couldn't pass up the deals on most of my gear. Oldies, but goodies!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by mikey man View Post
    At the big box store they told me blurays no longer are fitted with a composite connection which I use with an old Sony Trinitron.

Seriously though, look around for a slightly older model player that has more outputs. Check out eBay. I prefer having all the options, composite, component, analog audio, as well as the HDMI & digital audio outs. I like the older Panasonics that still support RAM playback.

Find a Blu-ray player with the additional jacks, and hook it up the same way your current DVD player is connected. Don't mess with adapters.

What's with all the chop bustin'? If the OP is happy with their CRT, let it be. Maybe they aren't so concerned about 720 or 1080. Perhaps they just would like a new player with the ability to access extra content, streaming, and play more types of discs.
    Thanks for the attaboys. I too noticed what you have called chop busting. True, I forgot about an older post. No trolling on my end though.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

Thanks for the attaboys. I too noticed what you have called chop busting. True, I forgot about an older post. No trolling on my end though.
    For your old thread, the part about the seiki deck was one thing and like its previous model I did verify the all regions and pal/nstc for both blu and dvd on it, but you missed the part where I did list an hdmi to rca device that does work and do the job you needed

this:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356492-What-s-the-latest-on-inexpensive-bluray-regi...=1#post2360599

On the needed bluray player front,
    I also did find a refurbished Panasonic blu deck that Walmart.com was selling that has the rca composite jacks we both need and they were not disabled. I use this as my main player for anything that I would not need to do a pal/ntsc or region change issue. I keep it for a straight/direct US player- This was the Panasonic DMP-DSB100

The downside is Walmart.com no longer sells this refurbished player, but this place on ebay does (and for the same price- $50.00)- also this is NOT a 3d deck, some of the info mentions it can do 3d but that is the Panasonic DMP-BTD100 not the DSB100

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMP-DSB100-Smart-Network-Blu-ray-Disc-Player-/151230...item23360b6294
    Last edited by mazinz; 25th Mar 2015 at 23:16.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I will look at the ebay entry. Thanks for continuing with this.

I will report back any progress.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got one of these a while back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hiteker-TLBD-02-Blu-Ray-Player-Ethernet-1080p-VCD-USB-HDMI-/38...item58c19bff39

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151607061792?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Pretty cool player, was Region Free right out of the box. At least for regular DVDs. Automatically converts PAL to NTSC.
    Not sure about all region on Blu-Ray. But, this machine played a couple of Blu-Rays that would not play on my Panasonic Blu-Ray players. One was a BR from Russian Federation, and the other a European BR import that didn't specify a region code.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I took the precaution of looking up the owner's guide for the Pioneer under discussion above. That does show composite hookup. It would have a refurb warranty as well.

Still considering.

But the discussion is a good one.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I took the precaution of looking up the owner's guide for the Pioneer under discussion above. That does show composite hookup. It would have a refurb warranty as well.

Still considering.

You mean the Panasonic under discussion... Nobody in this thread has mentioned any Pioneer Blu-Ray players.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I took the precaution of looking up the owner's guide for the Pioneer under discussion above. That does show composite hookup. It would have a refurb warranty as well.

Still considering.

You mean the Panasonic under discussion... Nobody in this thread has mentioned any Pioneer Blu-Ray players.

Yes. Noted.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    I will look at the ebay entry. Thanks for continuing with this.

I will report back any progress.
    I placed the order for the suggested Panasonic player today at Ebay.
    As the charge went through it showed Meritline as the recipient so I feel less queasy about
    the purchase. Meritline is a trusted source for media which I've used in the past.

Thanks for the tip. I'll report back any issues.
    Quote Quote  
  28. The story so far is that the unit I ordered became unavailable and a refund was issued from Ebay seller.

I saw a listing for the Samsung BD-C6500, looked up the manual and it does appear to have composite connects.

Is there review information at Videohelp?

The available listing was for a big box store but it might have been an old weblink. I'm going out today to investigate.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    The story so far is that the unit I ordered became unavailable and a refund was issued from Ebay seller.

I saw a listing for the Samsung BD-C6500, looked up the manual and it does appear to have composite connects.

Is there review information at Videohelp?

The available listing was for a big box store but it might have been an old weblink. I'm going out today to investigate.
    Ahh too bad about the Panasonic, but doing some google image searching as well as info related to the samsung you mentioned it does have the rca composite jacks you need and so does this Samsung from the same year- Samsung BD-C5500
    Quote Quote  
  30. Another dead end unfortunately. The link must be one of those that never gets updated.

Thanks for answering. If one of those patch boxes is no good (and they don't even sell well) then I'll just have wait out the CRT's demise-- or run a Bluray burner as playback.
    Quote Quote