VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 27 of 27
Thread
  1. I LOVE America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. In the past I have had success using VSO Downloader to capture the episodes from their website. They were about 170 megs in size and were watchable. This method no longer seems to work, so I need to find a new method. I have tried Audials 12, and Get FLV, but neither work; I either can't get the download started or it fails at some point. Same story with browser download and video capture add-ons.

    When I do get something to work, I get a 132 meg file, but I know there is an HD stream hiding behind it. ATK's sites use a content distribution network and some clever javascript coding in their pages, so you never see the URL for the video file.

    So what can I use to get a good quality download of one of their shows (see http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/452-sweet-on-custard-and-cookies?ref=Episode_feature_21 for example)? How are people ripping things off of Netflix and Hulu, but I can't get videos off their website?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post
    I LOVE America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. In the past I have had success using VSO Downloader to capture the episodes from their website. They were about 170 megs in size and were watchable. This method no longer seems to work, so I need to find a new method. I have tried Audials 12, and Get FLV, but neither work; I either can't get the download started or it fails at some point. Same story with browser download and video capture add-ons.

    When I do get something to work, I get a 132 meg file, but I know there is an HD stream hiding behind it. ATK's sites use a content distribution network and some clever javascript coding in their pages, so you never see the URL for the video file.

    So what can I use to get a good quality download of one of their shows (see http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/452-sweet-on-custard-and-cookies?ref=Episode_feature_21 for example)? How are people ripping things off of Netflix and Hulu, but I can't get videos off their website?
    hi you can use downloadhelper addon on firefox
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post
    I LOVE America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. In the past I have had success using VSO Downloader to capture the episodes from their website. They were about 170 megs in size and were watchable. This method no longer seems to work, so I need to find a new method. I have tried Audials 12, and Get FLV, but neither work; I either can't get the download started or it fails at some point. Same story with browser download and video capture add-ons.

    When I do get something to work, I get a 132 meg file, but I know there is an HD stream hiding behind it. ATK's sites use a content distribution network and some clever javascript coding in their pages, so you never see the URL for the video file.

    So what can I use to get a good quality download of one of their shows (see http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/452-sweet-on-custard-and-cookies?ref=Episode_feature_21 for example)? How are people ripping things off of Netflix and Hulu, but I can't get videos off their website?
    Just so you know, if this were an America's Test Kitchen video that requires a subscription to view, you'd be out of luck. Anything that requires a subscription is off-limits for discussion here. That includes Netflix and Hulu Plus, too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Just so you know, if this were an America's Test Kitchen video that requires a subscription to view, you'd be out of luck. Anything that requires a subscription is off-limits for discussion here. That includes Netflix and Hulu Plus, too.
    That's why I used a video that is available to everyone as the example.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by biezom View Post
    hi you can use downloadhelper addon on firefox
    That downloaded it no problem, but it gave me a small file with terrible quality.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post
    That downloaded it no problem, but it gave me a small file with terrible quality.
    1080p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_wxn16fcz/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ponens View Post
    Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post
    That downloaded it no problem, but it gave me a small file with terrible quality.
    1080p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_wxn16fcz/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    How did you get that link? That is what I am trying to grab!
    Quote Quote  
  8. you can find with winhex and read in plugin memory

    bitrate="471000" 360p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_d3y6xua5/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    bitrate="671000" 360p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_dkfcz443/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    bitrate="964000" 360p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_kt93koz3/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    bitrate="1565000" 720p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_f7l6i4mi/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    bitrate="2628000" 720p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_embt8z21/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    bitrate="4128000" 1080p
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/v/1/flavorId/1_wxn16fcz/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    Last edited by biezom; 21st Mar 2015 at 20:00.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by biezom View Post
    you can find with winhex and read in plugin memory
    How did you use winhex and plugin:memory to find all those media links just from the URL I provided? I haven't heard of either of those programs, so I apologize for all the questions and lack of knowledge.

    I can tell how each link is different and which part determines which stream you are getting, I just don't know how to find this info myself.
    Quote Quote  
  10. ...
    Last edited by sysanin; 15th Nov 2015 at 15:38.
    Quote Quote  
  11. yes an easier way
    why make it simple when we can make it complicated

    use adblock plus addon on firefox

    Name:  manifest.png
Views: 3108
Size:  21.9 KB


    Click image for larger version

Name:	manifest2.png
Views:	282
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	30829


    Click image for larger version

Name:	manifest3.png
Views:	251
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	30830
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by sysanin View Post
    Find the link playmanifest

    How?

    Originally Posted by biezom View Post
    yes an easier way
    why make it simple when we can make it complicated

    use adblock plus addon on firefox
    I get to the point where I choose to open the link listed in the bloackable items in a new tab, but it just opens the video in the new tab. How do I get that last image with you posted with the HTML code?

    Sorry if I need to be walked through this.
    Quote Quote  
  13. right click on the entry => open in new tab
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post
    How?

    I get to the point where I choose to open the link listed in the blockable items in a new tab, but it just opens the video in the new tab. How do I get that last image with you posted with the HTML code?

    Sorry if I need to be walked through this.
    The search (for this website) really only has to be done once, and from then on you can use a template. Note this template...
    Code:
    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/format/hdnetworksmil
    "1_ufku0ooh" in the above url identifies the particular episode. When you load the page for a different episode, say this one...
    Code:
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/422-elegant-brunch-favorites
    View the source for the page (Ctrl-U) and search the source for "1_" or " VideoPlayer".

    You'll see the entryId for this episode, in this case "1_xtdznu4t"

    Edit the template url (from above), inserting the new entryId...
    Code:
    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_xtdznu4t/format/hdnetworksmil
    Load the page. In the result, each quality has a flavorId, in this example "1_ma3s4r9w" is 1080p.

    Using the url in post #6 of this thread as a template, form a new url, changing only the entryId (episode) and flavorId (quality).
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_xtdznu4t/v/1/flavorId/1_ma3s4r9w/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    Note that the non-public episodes may use a different mechanism entirely.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post

    How?


    I get to the point where I choose to open the link listed in the bloackable items in a new tab, but it just opens the video in the new tab. How do I get that last image with you posted with the HTML code?

    Sorry if I need to be walked through this.
    I think your browser use html5 and not flash plugin
    Quote Quote  
  16. good job
    Last edited by matths; 22nd Mar 2015 at 10:32.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ponens View Post
    Originally Posted by eday_2010 View Post
    How?

    I get to the point where I choose to open the link listed in the blockable items in a new tab, but it just opens the video in the new tab. How do I get that last image with you posted with the HTML code?

    Sorry if I need to be walked through this.
    The search (for this website) really only has to be done once, and from then on you can use a template. Note this template...
    Code:
    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/format/hdnetworksmil
    "1_ufku0ooh" in the above url identifies the particular episode. When you load the page for a different episode, say this one...
    Code:
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/422-elegant-brunch-favorites
    View the source for the page (Ctrl-U) and search the source for "1_" or " VideoPlayer".

    You'll see the entryId for this episode, in this case "1_xtdznu4t"

    Edit the template url (from above), inserting the new entryId...
    Code:
    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_xtdznu4t/format/hdnetworksmil
    Load the page. In the result, each quality has a flavorId, in this example "1_ma3s4r9w" is 1080p.

    Using the url in post #6 of this thread as a template, form a new url, changing only the entryId (episode) and flavorId (quality).
    Code:
    http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_xtdznu4t/v/1/flavorId/1_ma3s4r9w/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4
    Note that the non-public episodes may use a different mechanism entirely.
    Yes! This works beautifully. You are my hero. I thank you a hundred times over for taking the time to walk me through this and explain how it's done. THANK YOU!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member vhelp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New York
    Search Comp PM
    they have a youtube channel, americastestkitchen as well. if you search the source code via the "source view" after entering Ctrl+U for "follow-us"**1 you will see the different websites and channels they are on, and you could download them through the youtube-dl tool. i seached that channel and found over 400 videos, but getting the specific one you were asking (testing) about**2 was not found via google advanced search. i use that search engine to find youtube clips like in this situation. but i must be typing something incorrectly. i'm still trying to find that particular episode.

    **1
    Code:
    <ul class="follow-us">
    <li class="title">Follow Us</li>
    <li><a href="https://www.facebook.com/americastestkitchen" target="_blank">America's Test Kitchen</a></li>
    <li><a href="https://www.facebook.com/CooksIllustrated" target="_blank">Cook's Illustrated</a></li>
    <li><a href="https://www.facebook.com/CooksCountry" target="_blank">Cook's Country</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://twitter.com/TestKitchen" target="_blank">@TestKitchen</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://twitter.com/CPKimball" target="_blank">@CPKimball</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://www.youtube.com/user/americastestkitchen" target="_blank">YouTube</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://americastestkitchen.tumblr.com/" target="_blank">Tumblr</a></li>
    <li><a href="https://plus.google.com/+AmericasTestKitchen" target="_blank">Google+</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://pinterest.com/testkitchen/" target="_blank">Pinterest</a></li>
    <li><a href="http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/" target="_blank">The Feed</a></li>
    </ul>
    **2 -
    Code:
    <script>
      $(function() {
        new EmailFriend({
          'document_title': "Sweet on Custard and Cookies",
          'document_id': "452",
          'document_type': "Episode"
        });
      });
    </script>
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    they have a youtube channel, americastestkitchen as well. if you search the source code via the "source view" after entering Ctrl+U for "follow-us"**1 you will see the different websites and channels they are on, and you could download them through the youtube-dl tool. i seached that channel and found over 400 videos, but getting the specific one you were asking (testing) about**2 was not found via google advanced search. i use that search engine to find youtube clips like in this situation. but i must be typing something incorrectly. i'm still trying to find that particular episode.
    They don't put their episodes on YouTube. They will put a whole slew of other videos on YouTube, like quick tips and promo stuff, but episodes are strictly on their website. Everything but what is found in their current seasons of America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country is behind a paywall. So they won't give that stuff away for free on YouTube
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi,

    I found this old thread and in following the steps, I am not seeing the various video resolutions as shown in the screenshots from biezom (post #11).

    Am I doing something wrong or has something changed on that website where they are only making the video available in lo-res. Can anyone else please follow the steps posted and confirm ? much appreciated.

    Similar as the original poster, my wife is an avid fan of the videos from amercias test kitchen but not so PC savvy so I would like to extract the videos and put it on my media streamer for ease of viewing.

    many thanks for your reply,
    Gadgetzilla
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by gadgetzilla View Post
    Hi,

    I found this old thread and in following the steps, I am not seeing the various video resolutions as shown in the screenshots from biezom (post #11).

    Am I doing something wrong or has something changed on that website where they are only making the video available in lo-res. Can anyone else please follow the steps posted and confirm ? much appreciated.

    Similar as the original poster, my wife is an avid fan of the videos from amercias test kitchen but not so PC savvy so I would like to extract the videos and put it on my media streamer for ease of viewing.

    many thanks for your reply,
    Gadgetzilla
    hi
    in this example

    with adblock plus you can find

    Code:
    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/format/hdnetworkmanifest/protocol/http/uiConfId/16401451/a/a.f4m?referrer=.................................................................

    change

    Code:
    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/format/hdnetworksmil
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi Biezom,
    Thank you for your reply, and glad to see you are active on this forum
    I do not see what you are seeing so I would like to step through what process I am following with as much details as possible. so, thank you in advance for your patience.

    1) Go to americas test kitchen website to their episodes section.
    2) Choose a show. For my example, I chose baguettes at home. it is located at the following URL
    http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episode/472-baguettes-at-home?ref=Episode_browse_1

    3) I start playing, then go to my adblockplus and choose: Open Blockable items
    4) In the search field, I typed playmanifest. In doing so, the following is what is available:

    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_tateirbj/flavo...a.mp4?referrer..................

    In looking at your reply, the code you have posted is slightly different than mine.
    http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_ufku0ooh/forma....f4m?referrer=.....................

    I may be missing something basic but can't figure out what am I missing or doing wrong. Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  23. I made some progress.

    Seems to be that I need to be using a monitor that is capable of displaying 1920 x 1080 to download the 1080p size file. I duplicated my steps on a different PC/monitor and now the code matches yours. I will continue forward to see if I can successfully download a 1080p version of the episode.
    Quote Quote  
  24. There is a simpler way to do this.

    Go to your baguettes at Home episode. When the page loads, right click on the page and select "View Source".

    In the new View Source window, do ctrl+F to open the Find option, and search for VideoPlayer.

    You will see the following: player = new VideoPlayer('15333771','1_tateirbj', '640px', '360px');

    What you want is the this ID: 1_tateirbj.

    Open an new tab, and paste this URL, but don't hit Enter yet: http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/p/1445801/sp/144580100/playManifest/entryId/1_h7pciizl/forma.../hdnetworksmil

    Paste the ID you found over 1_h7pciizl in that URL and hit Enter. You should be presented with the following:

    Click image for larger version

Name:	cdnapi.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	34043

    The bottom item in the list the the highest resolution option.

    Now, take this URL: http://cdnbakmi.kaltura.com and add /p/1445801/sp/144580100/serveFlavor/entryId/1_tateirbj/v/1/flavorId/1_ivvtei2r/forceproxy/true/name/a.mp4 and hit enter. When the Video starts playing, right-click on the video and click "Save video as" or a similar option, depending on the browser. Name the file and watch it download to your hard drive. Then rinse and repeat for the rest of the episodes
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thank you so much for the step by step breakdown of the tasks.

    I was successfully able to download a couple of videos in 1080p.

    Currently, rinsing and repeating
    Quote Quote  
  26. I am able to follow the above instructions and template to download these videos. However, I am curious where you got the critical part for your template that is (near beginning for http):
    cdnbakmi
    Quote Quote  
  27. To get English srt subtitle file, start video (hit refresh page if necessary), Adblock plus >open blockable items, type srt in the search box, right click on subtitle url to copy address. (see screenshot).
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	34835  

    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads