VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to know some practical stuff...

First I'm wondering about the HDMI output, and whether it'd work just as well with a TV set as a monitor.

Also, are those USB ports on TVs also powered? I thought they were only used for input, but on monitors they seem to power external devices as well (one guy apparently built his Pi into a Dell flatscreen).
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by ahhaa View Post
    Also, are those USB ports on TVs also powered?
    Yes. Otherwise they couldn't read a flash drive or any other device that doesn't have its own power supply. They may not provide as much current as a PC USB port though.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Mar 2015 at 16:18.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All USB ports provide some current. Some just a trickle and others put out a bit more.

I was trying to use the new RaspPi2 with the 1A PSU from my old Model B and I kept getting the underpowered warning on the screen so I wouldn't dare try to power one with the TV's USB port.

The HDMI port works fine with TVs. I use mine as HTPCs running Kodi.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys; you cleared up my thinking!

smitbret, I musta missed the memo... what does this mean from your link to VH software:

'Kodi ... featuring a >10-foot user interface < for use with televisions and remote controls.'

looks like good software; is the linux version fully polished?

PS The PS I ordered, recommended from MCM, is 2.2A Switch Mode Adapter for $7.75 SKU 28-17985.

I figured why fry something and I want wireless keyboard & mouse plus wifi dongle, so all the USBs will be drawing.
    Last edited by ahhaa; 19th Mar 2015 at 18:01. Reason: addition of info
    Quote Quote  
  5. you can get OpenELEC that is Linux bare minimum + Kodi
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kodi (previously known as XBMC) is HTPC software for playing back media on a PC, RaspPi, Chrome device, etc. I didn't intentionally link it, the website does that automatically. The 10-foot user interface just means that it is intended for home use like you would a DVD Player or cable box (i.e. within the 10 feet from your TV to your couch or home theater seat).

The only way I have run Kodi on my HTPCs is with the standalone OpenELEC package. That way it boots straight up into Kodi and I don't have to worry about a separate OS. It's the same Kodi, but it has a stripped down OS that keeps the whole install package at right around 100MB. The RaspPi2 runs it very well.

I put a 2A charger on mine and the problem went away. I have a FLIRC, WiFi adapter and a 16GB USB flash drive stuck in the USB ports. Haven't had any issues with it to this point.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Duplicate
    Last edited by smitbret; 19th Mar 2015 at 18:45.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My new Raspberry Pi 2 runs fine on a Samsung PS that is rated 5VDC at .75A. I guess not all PSs are equal.
    The USB PC 1.x and 2.0 specification is only for .5A at 5VDC per USB channel, which may be a bit low for a Pi, especially if it has some accessories.
    USB 3.x has more output, but uses a different cable.

I used a 32GB micro SD card for memory, as I had a spare. Running Raspbian Wheezy OS at present.

I haven't tried the HDMI output on a TV as I don't have a TV, but if it's HDMI, no reason it wouldn't work.
    I also picked up a HDMI>VGA adapter so I can try the Pi on one of my older monitors that only has VGA input.

I got the plug in video camera also, but haven't had time to try it.

I also got a small touchscreen video display, though it's really made for the older model B, that I also have. If they re-write some code, it may work on the Pi 2.

If you haven't been there, try Adafruit for lots of Pi accessories: http://www.adafruit.com/category/105

Microsoft has mentioned a version of OS10 that will run on Pi 2, but I haven't heard back from them after I registered as a beta tester.
    Last edited by redwudz; 19th Mar 2015 at 21:08.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have a Raspberry Pi Model B. I've played around with Kodi, RetroPie and a few other pre-packaged configurations - all just for fun. I don't use the RPi regularly.

I didn't experience any issues with a noname HDMI monitor, a 2 year old Samsung TV or a 4 year old Toshiba flatscreen TV that I use for testing. I did have issues with an older Samsung LED DLP rear projection TV that I use as my primary TV in my living room. I needed to add a number of the optional parameters to the RPi config file to get a picture to display. The most critical were hdmi_drive, config_hdmi_boost and hdmi_mode.

Once the display was visible everything worked well. I could even use the TVs standard remote control to navigate in Kodi.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    What do you folks think of this tool for kids.

My son is almost 8, would it be a good idea now to let him have a go at it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post

It would be great as a joint project, father and son.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post

It would be great as a joint project, father and son.
    That's what I am thinking, getting him to learn the basics of programming and actually seeing he could do something with it.

He frequently asks me how to make a full fledged video game and how to do it. Not sure he has actually accepted that that is hardly a one-man-job.

Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    learn the basics of programming
    Arduino is a better platform for that. You won't be doing fancy video with one though -- not strong enough.

He frequently asks me how to make a full fledged video game and how to do it. Not sure he has actually accepted that that is hardly a one-man-job.
    Many small scale games have been written by one person. Look at Flappy Bird, Tetris, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flappy_Bird
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris

Even many of the early Atari console games were the work of one person (per game).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    smitbret- I just found a youtube vid that showed a Samsung TV auto-setup itself with Pi so the TV remote also ran the Pi...

What TV are you using, and did this happen the same on it? (remotes & me...sigh)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    newpball- I've been exploring the web a lot for Pi Projects, and have seen several relatively simple existing 'classic' game adaptions.

The Adafruit link above from Red with take you to some of them, and there's quite a lot of YouTube demos (and helpful photos too; google Raspberry Pi cases as images)

Adafruit has a number of of screens available, from tiny TFT touchscreens to 7" mini-monitors; not to mention some crazy lightshow LED panels.

I strongly agree about the father/son aspect; and if you are paying for the lot, then you can still get everything you'd want for less than some Nike running shoes.

I'd also check out the make your own smart phone projects (you can stick a GPS tracker in..:]).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    newpball- afterthought; a little more further out, but the 3D printer DIY set are very engaged in Pi projects. Just a thought, but by the time your kid comes of age, 3D printing will very likely be a mainstream 'experts in demand' vocation. Game design will be a glut, viable only for geniuses or cubicle sweatshops.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just a add on, but I would pick up one of the transparent cases for the Pi.
    That makes it much easier to deal with and carry around and lessens the chance of damage if you drop it.
    And all connections are still available. It also helps if you happen to drop a screw or metal object on a powered board.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    How about getting the Raspberri and then a transparent case + monitor as an add on:

http://www.amazon.com/JBtek-Raspberry-Transparent-Included-Software/dp/B00L15FOF4/ref=...ry+pi+2+screen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Newpball- uhmm, the price looks OK as far as saving time, tho it is described as a kit; but I just got my Pi Model 2 so I noticed something- that video jack is orange, mine is black and none of the photos seem to show the mobo end with the USB ports.

You'd want the model 2, it is 6X faster and has 4 well-juiced USB ports (all for the same price) aligned with the Cat5 off the unshown end of the mobo. (Earlier boards only had two USBs.)
    It may not be an issue, or it could be a case for a prior model Pi. They are very similar but not identical.
    You should ask and be sure that screen is OK with the 2- it most probably is...
    also go to http://www.raspberrypi.org/community/ for more connections to useful info.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    Oops, I just looked at the bad reviews, for sure I am going to skip on this case/display combination.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK!
    You'll really want to go here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi31-spread.pdf
    Several gaming articles: Young Hackers & Makers, Making Games in Easy Steps, & Retro-gaming Group Test, Minecraft, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  22. yeah, look for Pi2 model B only, no older versions
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    yeah, look for Pi2 B only, no older versions
    Got it!
    Quote Quote