VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know how to change the speed of sections of a video or the whole video, but how does a person gradually change the speed of a video? I use premiere elements 11.

I hope this is worded okay and have a nice day.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The terminology you're looking for is time remapping, sometimes called time ramp.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-11/speed-up-or-slow-down-video-segme...ime-remapping/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In the time mapping area of premiere elements 11, is the ease in and ease out the closest thing to that gradual increase of slow down i am talking about?. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by john1967 View Post
    In the time mapping area of premiere elements 11, is the ease in and ease out the closest thing to that gradual increase of slow down i am talking about?. Thank you.
    I use Premiere Pro which is different so I don't know the answer. The tutorial from Adobe looks pretty comprehensive though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use Premiere, but normally "Keyframing" or a visual "Envelope" is involved to do custom animation. In Sony Vegas Pro, it's called a "Velocity Envelope".
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by john1967 View Post
    I don't think you have any option to vary the parameters of the 'ease in and out' timings with Elements.. unless someone knows different?

To have total control over exactly where - and how quickly - the 'slow down' and 'speed up' events change, most folk would look at using a program like Twixtor...... but it is expensive!

You can do it for free, using Avisynth and MVtools but there would be a bit of a learning curve involved. The attached short clip was done using those free tools.
    They allow you pick exactly where, how quickly - and by how much - the video speed is changed within parts of a clip. So the ease in and out times are completely controllable

In the attached clip the speed is deliberately exaggerated (it's slowed down by 10 times), but that was to illustrate how the AVISynth script avoided the 'stepping' effect that many editors seem to introduce into their 'slo-mo' effects, rather than to show ease in and out speeds...
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by pippas; 19th Mar 2015 at 16:04.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Another free option is slomovideo
    http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/

Most editors only use a combination of either inserting duplicated frames, or inserting blended frames to get the gradual slow down transition. To get very smooth slo motion and speed transitions, you need to use "optical flow" - the process where intermediate "inbetween" frames are interpolated / generated / synthesized. Twixtor uses this, as does mvtools2 in avisynth, as does slomovideo . The problem with optical flow is it's a lot slower (CPU +/- GPU intensive) and more importantly prone to edge morphing artifacts - some types of content are more prone to it than others.

You can see from the screenshots, that you have a GUI and curves to play with (non linear speed changes)
    http://slowmovideo.granjow.net/docs.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's another free option to interpolate the extra frames needed. http://www.spirton.com/convert-videos-to-60fps/. After conversion of 30p video to 60p, you can slow it up to half.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank youy everyone for your replies.
    Quote Quote