VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would like to purchase a Blu-Ray player for my parents...but I already have a bunch of DVD-Rs movies that I have burned over the years; so, I was thinking that I could purchase Blu-Ray movies and also burn some Blu-Ray movies of my own from HQ .MKV files I have.

Can someone recommend a Blu-Ray player (HDMI) that can read both "BD-R" & "DVD-R" formats?

This looked promising...but I dont think it is BD-R: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8915333&CatId=4670

Any help is much appreciated...thank you
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by THEBDC View Post
    Can someone recommend a Blu-Ray player (HDMI) that can read both "BD-R" & "DVD-R" formats?
    Any Blu Ray player should be able to read both.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I disagree sir...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by THEBDC View Post
    I disagree sir...
    Fine. Show me one that can't.

This assumes you are actually authoring proper BR and/or DVD structure to your (decent) -R media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Some older BluRay players did have problems with BD-R LTH discs. This should no longer be the case.

Any modern BluRay player should be able to read any consumer burnable DVD and BD discs without problems, but as always, improperly made or out of spec or low quality discs may have problems that correctly made good quality discs do not.

I'm not a huge fan of their stuff because I think the company is in some ways consumer hostile, but I've got a 2 year old Samsung 3D BluRay player and I've yet to have to choke on a DVD I've burned, but it is a little bit fussy on BD-R LTH discs. It has no problem with non-LTH BD-R discs. I'd honestly expect the Philips in your link to be fine. I've used their DVD players for years and never had a problem with media I've burned.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Originally Posted by THEBDC View Post
    I disagree sir...
    Fine. Show me one that can't.

This assumes you are actually authoring proper BR and/or DVD structure to your (decent) -R media.
    ...plus good burning software used with a burner that is not worn out.

Personally, I would not take a chance buying a refurbished Blu-Ray player online.

[Edit]Also, be aware that although many Blu-Ray players can play MKV media files, there is no guarantee that they will play every MKV file you throw at them. Blu-Ray players that can act as media players all have restrictions on what kind of audio, video, and subtitles are allowed for playback in an MKV container, assuming they support the MKV container.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 17th Mar 2015 at 15:59.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    And even if you convert the MKV files to Blu-ray format, you might still be stymied by Cinavia in some of them. Any new player, certified after February of 2012, is required to detect the Cinavia signal and, if detected, will stop audio playback from Blu-ray format video burned to a disc. Its just another gotcha you should be aware of.
    Quote Quote