VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. So my brother works for someone that has tons of home videos that need to be digitized. I've done this kind of thing for my family with just random equipment I have.. AKA, a random VHS player + Elgato Game Capture HD with the Analog cable.

The results aren't terrible, and certainly let you watch the video on DVD or a computer BUT the clients are definitely "well-to-do" so they have enough money to fund me getting some higher end equipment. From what I've read here this involves getting a higher end / Pro VHS player with an internal TBC AND buying an external TBC. Also to note, I've got no idea what kind of tapes these are quite yet. They are likely VHS-C I would think, are those converter tapes a problem?

Problem was trying to find out what would be best for this situation. I thought I found the holy grail of VHS players, being the PANASONIC AG-1980, but then several posts here saying its "overrated crap", and you should just get a more modern player with 4 head playback, etc.

So my head is spinning from the variance in opinion. I would love it someone could just make an informed decision on whats best.

AKA: Suggested VHS Player > Suggested TBC > Suggested Capture Device.

I can figure out the software / editing / authoring situation. Im just at a loss as to the right hardware. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sending the tapes to a pro shop for digitizing will save you and your brother from getting lots of head aches from the boss.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I agree actually, thanks. Im in Nashville and I might have found the place.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just so you know, the days of the "recommended" VCR are now about a decade ago. Those "recommended" models were never intended to last until the end of time. The "recommended" models were made with substandard parts because nobody expected them to still be in use today. So even if you find one, the odds are huge that it's been used and abused. Repairs are possible, but they are expensive and sometimes only last a few months before something else breaks. Every year the number of "recommended" VCRs available shrinks as some die and get thrown out. I've read about some desperate souls who buy 2 or 3 broken ones and then pay some repair guy to cobble together one working model from the parts. At this point I just recommend that people get any working VCR they can get their hands on to get this tape capture done.

You're doing the right thing is not doing this yourself. The golden age of doing this is long long gone now. Honestly, if you have to ask these kinds of questions AND your client is stupid enough to have "tons of home videos" they want saved, you really don't want to be responsible for this. Point them to a shop that can do it and let that shop be responsible for the whole thing. People who have maybe hundreds of tapes they think they can't live without are really not very rational about this anyway and they're likely to just be a constant problem to deal with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    When I read this sort of thing I feel double lucky that I unknowingly bought one of the recommended decks (JVC HR-S9911U) about a decade ago. VCRs were so cheap, I just bought the best one I could find and then hardly used it for the first five years. Now I'm taking very good care of it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    The "recommended" models were made with substandard parts because nobody expected them to still be in use today.
    That's nonsense. Most prosumer and professional decks were far, far superior to the plastic consumer junk VHS VCRs. Pro and prosumer models are full of hard resin plastics and metal. Plus many had very advanced circuitry that make computers of the era look quaint.

Repairs are possible, but they are expensive and sometimes only last a few months before something else breaks.
    This is also total nonsense. Yes, many older decks need repairs. That's true of everything from cars to lawnmowers. But unlike cars (and sometimes mowers), the repair of a VCR tends to last years. It fully refreshes the unit. The most common issue is caps. Rarely does a fixed VCR have further issues.

Every year the number of "recommended" VCRs available shrinks as some die and get thrown out.
    Not even close. If anything, more VCRs become known. There are a lot of units that were never tested, and as some of us serious hobbyists and pros get our hands on them, they become suggested. And so the amount of VCRs to choose from increases.

I've read about some desperate souls who buy 2 or 3 broken ones and then pay some repair guy to cobble together one working model from the parts.
    There's nothing desperate about it. You can take 2-3 broken/problem VCRs, pick them up for cheap, and have a new unit cobbled together and refreshed like new. It's called "rehabbing". They have entire shows on HGTV for the same sort of thing -- but with houses. You don't just demolish it and build a new one. The original still has lots of value, and can be repair like new.

At this point I just recommend that people get any working VCR they can get their hands on to get this tape capture done.
    If you want low quality, then do so. But not everybody has such low expectations.

You're doing the right thing is not doing this yourself. The golden age of doing this is long long gone now. Honestly, if you have to ask these kinds of questions AND your client is stupid enough to have "tons of home videos" they want saved, you really don't want to be responsible for this. Point them to a shop that can do it and let that shop be responsible for the whole thing. People who have maybe hundreds of tapes they think they can't live without are really not very rational about this anyway and they're likely to just be a constant problem to deal with.
    Your attitude here really sucks. I agree that the DIY method is not for everybody. And some should not attempt it. But calling somebody "stupid" for wanting to archive their home videos is really disgusting. Some of us like to watch family videos, and share them with other family members or family friends. (And the VHS collectors want to convert their collections for all sorts of valid reasons.)

I used to respect you jman98, but you've said a lot of crazy factually-challenged BS these past few years.

What happened to you?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote