VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just ordered the video card,was wondering if anyone else here has one and there opinion of it.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Just ordered the video card,was wondering if anyone else here has one and there opinion of it.
    I am considering buying this one actually.

Currently I use a 4GB OCed 770.

960 is interesting for its H.265 support but it is not faster than a 770 and I prefer waiting till more models support the new codec.

One big plus is that the 900 series draw a lot less power.

Which one did you get? Looks like the prices range around $340.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I got this one,http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076&_ga=1.33611175.709047120.1407212165,it's priced higher since i live in canada with the lower exchange rate.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Nice one!

Last edited by newpball; 14th Mar 2015 at 17:43.
    Quote Quote  
  5. When you get it you would be doing this forum a BIG favor by testing it's hardware h264 and h265 capabilities, both from a performance perspective and an image quality perspective, with Staxrip, since it supports the new Maxwell encoding engine.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sure,soon as i get it and install it ill run a few test encodes and post my findings.I got it mainly for gaming but i do some encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  7. That would be great, I was thinking of picking up a GTX 960 because I do some color grading and filtering with AME and Vegas and gpu acceleration comes in REAL handy with those tasks but I was thinking of picking up an AMD card because they tend to be much faster for those workloads but if the new Maxwells have good image quality with h264 and h265 encoding then I may go with an Nvidia based card instead, since I can't afford to put together a dual Xeon like I really want to.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    I got this one,http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487076&_ga=1.33611175.709047120.1407212165,it's priced higher since i live in canada with the lower exchange rate.
    I just purchased a slightly more modest one:

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-970-4GD5T-OC-.html#hero-specification

Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Was Witcher 3 included in the price?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    Was Witcher 3 included in the price?
    Hah!

Interesting, it is on the front page of the Amazon product description, so it must be included conform Amazon rules!

I got this "rock-bottom" $330 no tax/free shipping from Adorama via Amazon.

We will see.

Edited to add: nope, read the small text only applies if directly purchased through Amazon not a third party seller.

Quote Quote  
  11. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sophisticles View Post
    When you get it you would be doing this forum a BIG favor by testing it's hardware h264 and h265 capabilities, both from a performance perspective and an image quality perspective, with Staxrip, since it supports the new Maxwell encoding engine.
    Did a test encode with a 1280x720 at 23.976 fps and got 45fps encoding,wasn't impressed plus the audio got re-encoded,was no option to bypass audio re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    When you get it you would be doing this forum a BIG favor by testing it's hardware h264 and h265 capabilities, both from a performance perspective and an image quality perspective, with Staxrip, since it supports the new Maxwell encoding engine.
    Did a test encode with a 1280x720 at 23.976 fps and got 45fps encoding,wasn't impressed plus the audio got re-encoded,was no option to bypass audio re-encoding.

45fps HEVC or H264 and what didn't impress you, the quality, the speed or Staxrip itself?
    Quote Quote  
  13. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    45fps h264,the speed plus the audio can't be bypassed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. How about H265, which I think would be a much bigger selling point of the card? As for the audio, Staxrip isn't exactly the greatest app out there, I only recommended it because it's the only free app that currently supports Maxwell's H264/HEVC hardware encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'll stick to handbrake and vidcoder since i can do a lot more customization and as to h265 i can't see it being applied any time too soon in any hardware player.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    How about H265, which I think would be a much bigger selling point of the card?
    The 970? I thought right now the only one that has full HW encoding is the 960.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    All the Mawell's after the 750 feature an updated nvenc hardware chip that is capable of both H264 and HEVC encoding:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/5
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    All the Mawell's after the 750 feature an updated nvenc hardware chip that is capable of both H264 and HEVC encoding:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/5
    You are correct.

The only difference is that the 960, unlike the 970 and 980, also supports HW decoding.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I thought I would let you guys know that now Media Coder also supports the Maxwell avc and hevc hardware encoding:

http://blog.mediacoderhq.com/mediacoder-nvenc/

So...hint, hint, if either one of you wants to test out the hardware hevc encoder and report back their impressions with regards to image quality, that would be great, hint, hint.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Banned
    Search PM
    About 65 - 70 fps for 1080p through Premiere Pro.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    One other nice thing of (most?) GTX 970/980 GPUs is their HDMI 2.0 support.

While I think DisplayPort is always preferable at least now we can drive a 4K TV over HDMI 2.0 at 60Hz.

However beware of gotchas:

- HDCP 2.2 doesn't do 4:4:4
    - Idiotic overscan is still prevalent on some models

So make sure you check before you buy a 40+ monitor/TV

http://www.geeks3d.com/20141202/tested-geforce-gtx-970-and-4k-60hz-on-hdmi-2-0/
    Last edited by newpball; 12th Apr 2015 at 22:22.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by newpball View Post

- HDCP 2.2 doesn't do 4:4:4
    - Idiotic overscan is still prevalent on some models

So make sure you check before you buy a 40+ monitor/TV

http://www.geeks3d.com/20141202/tested-geforce-gtx-970-and-4k-60hz-on-hdmi-2-0/
    Why does HDCP need to do 4:4:4 ?
    Which TVs don't let you disable over-scanning?
    Quote Quote