VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I see plenty of cheap composite to HDMI converters out there, but I don't trust the no-name cheapies (I bought one previously and it was horrible). I'm wondering if you all might know of a brand of reliable converters that I can send composite/svideo to and have it convert up to HDMI?? THanks-
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I haven't even seen one that lets you output at 480i/p to bypass crappy upscaling. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have a device that attaches to the back of a Nintendo Wii and outputs HDMI at 480p with no unnecessary upscaling. The Wii has component output on it's video connector. Unfortunately the device is Wii specific so it can't be used with any other input device. Considering that the device was less than $20 I am surprised at the quality of the output.

I guess this proves that there are devices that can convert component to 480p HDMI.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by awhite2600 View Post
    I have a device that attaches to the back of a Nintendo Wii and outputs HDMI at 480p with no unnecessary upscaling. The Wii has component output on it's video connector. Unfortunately the device is Wii specific so it can't be used with any other input device. Considering that the device was less than $20 I am surprised at the quality of the output.

I guess this proves that there are devices that can convert component to 480p HDMI.
    Re-read the initial post. The word "component" is only mentioned in the thread title. In the post itself, the OP says specifically he is looking for a good composite/S-video to HDMI converter. Finding a device that does a good job with composite or Svideo to HDMI conversion is hard.

Finding a device that does a reasonable job converting from component video to HDMI should be easier since the analog signal being converted is higher quality.

[Edit] If one can be found and someone is willing to pay the price, the Atlona AT-HD520 might be OK for converting composite/S-Video to HDMI, although I have never tried one. Atlona has a good reputation. Upscaling is optional and it has proc amp controls.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Mar 2015 at 09:28.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Re-read the initial post. The word "component" is only mentioned in the thread title. In the post itself, the OP says specifically he is looking for a good composite/S-video to HDMI converter. Finding a device that does a good job with composite or Svideo to HDMI conversion is hard.

Finding a device that does a reasonable job converting from component video to HDMI should be easier since the analog signal being converted is higher quality.
    Fair enough usually_quiet. I wasn't attempting to answer the OPs question directly. The point of my reply was to let people know that there are inexpensive devices available. In this case the device used component and was application specific. I was also pointing out that not all devices force an upscale of SD video to 720p or 1080 i/p. There are far too many people out there that think that 480 i/p video is not supported over HDMI so upscaling is required.

I realize that most devices that convert composite or svideo to HDMI are expensive. I know people that have devices like that. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cheap converters available from Asia. I suspect that in these cases you would get what you paid for.

While it is slightly off topic again ... I have an older Cisco cable box with composite inputs on the front. It is connected to one of my TVs via HDMI and does a good (not great) job of converting composite to HDMI, without upscaling. I use it sometimes for testing older game consoles.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    I realize that most devices that convert composite or svideo to HDMI are expensive. I know people that have devices like that. I wouldn't be surprised if there are cheap converters available from Asia. I suspect that in these cases you would get what you paid for.
    Ok I'll bite, which convertors that you consider good do not come from 'bad' Asia?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

Fair enough usually_quiet. I wasn't attempting to answer the OPs question directly. The point of my reply was to let people know that there are inexpensive devices available. In this case the device used component and was application specific. I was also pointing out that not all devices force an upscale of SD video to 720p or 1080 i/p. There are far too many people out there that think that 480 i/p video is not supported over HDMI so upscaling is required.

While it is slightly off topic again ... I have an older Cisco cable box with composite inputs on the front. It is connected to one of my TVs via HDMI and does a good (not great) job of converting composite to HDMI, without upscaling. I use it sometimes for testing older game consoles.
    Silly me. I thought that vaporeon800 understood what the OP wanted, while you did not. Good to know that you understood what the OP wanted and took the thread off topic deliberately.

[Edit]I added information about what should be a quality component/S-Video to HDMI converter to my initial post in this thread.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Mar 2015 at 09:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Ok I'll bite, which convertors that you consider good do not come from 'bad' Asia?
    I don't have any specifics. We all know how to search Amazon and eBay. There are low price products - in any category - that are frequently far from high quality.

All I was attempting to say was that there are occasionally low priced products that do perform well. In my case I was giving an example of a low cost product that was similar to what the OP was looking for. Sorry if I couldn't give a specific product recommendation. I was also NOT implying that everything from Asia is bad. You can find good and bad products from any region.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!