VideoHelp Forum

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey Everyone.

I have run into an interesting problem. I assembled a .m4a file from several .ts files streamed from a site (using TSSplitter to join the files). The resulting file plays well in VLC, with VLC listing the codec as MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a), stereo, 44100 Hz, SBR.

I wanted to edit the file tags and do some other activities using foobar, but foobar is complaining that "moov box not found"... I'm not sure what magic VLC is doing to be able to play the file, but most other audio programs are complaining about the moov box on this file. I don't have a reference file to compare it to, since I assembled the file myself from .ts files.

Is there any utility (free would be nice) to scan the .m4a and fix issues like this? I still think it's kind of surprising that VLC will play this file without the moov box...

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try remux them with mp4box or a gui like mymp4boxgui. Add the m4a and mux/make a new.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the response, Baldrick. I tried mymp4boxgui but had no success. When I go to add the m4a the program pops up a box which says "Add a video stream first." It won't mux only one (audio) input...
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try use vlc to save it as a new file under File->Convert/Save, load the m4a, click convert/save, select dump raw input, set output folder and filename. If it fails you could convert it to mp3 or mp4/aac in vlc also (some quality loss).

Or run it through ffmpeg, from the command line or start->run:
    Code:
    "c:\programs\ffmpeg\ffmpeg.exe" -i "c:\audiofiles\audio.m4a" -acodec copy "c:\audiofiles\newaudio.m4a"
    (replace all folders with your folders)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks, Baldrick! That worked... a little tweaking to ffmpeg syntax and I can produce exactly what I want without using foobar2000! Thanks again!
    Quote Quote