VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys

is there any way to take out from audio just some parts that you want to? For example, i have recorded some old olympic opening ceremony with local tv commentator, from that file i just want to take out voice of commentator so latter i will put it on better quality video .. is there any way to remove all sound from background, music, talkings etc etc and just take out voice of commentator WITHOUT ANY noise from backround?

thanx a lot
    Quote Quote  
  2. Under very specific circumstances it can be done. See this:
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq_i18n?s=editing&i=remove-vocals
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by kasda View Post
    is there any way to remove all sound from background, music, talkings etc etc and just take out voice of commentator WITHOUT ANY noise from backround?
    I'm not sure I parsed your question correctly. Do you want to keep only the commentator? Or do you want to keep everything but the commentator?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    By my reading I think you want to keep the dialog as a clean track ie no background. The simple answer is no but you can minimise the sound between the words by using a noise gate and as long as you replace the background noise with say music or new effects using a noise gate can give the impression of "packets" of words, a bit like a string of sausages, between silence if done to extremes. So a modest dip of 3 or 4db can improve things a tad.

The sound behind the narrator whilst he/she is speaking well it's a bit like trying to unscramble an egg...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    @smrpix - tnx

@jagabo - yes, i want to keep only the commentator

@netmask56 - can you recommend some software to do this?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Did you even look at smrpix's link? Apparently not. Geez, even TWO sentences were simply too much for you in his response and you didn't even bother to look. His link tells you what to use and how to do it. For a guy who wants help, you are really resistant to following the help you are given.

I really am sick and tired of people coming here asking for help and if they get anything more than 1 sentence in reply or God forbid a link they are asked to click in then their brains completely shut down. I suppose I can take some satisfaction out of the fact that the odds are high you won't be able to do it because your audio won't be in the right format and you've already given up reading this as my reply is more than your one sentence limit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The link to Audacity is not going to help the OP at all - he wants to KEEP the dialog and remove the background. The technique explained in the Audacity link is the converse ie remove and throw away the dialog to be left with a backing track or a Karioke backing. But there really isn't any practical way of extracting the dialog only as a pure audio track even if it was stereo.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by kasda View Post
    @smrpix - tnx

@jagabo - yes, i want to keep only the commentator

@netmask56 - can you recommend some software to do this?
    If you are using Audacity (I don't I have Adobe Audition) look for a plug in that Audacity will accept. You need to look for

Noise gate (that you have some control over like depth and attack etc)

or

Downward Compressor sometimes called "UnLimiter" Sometimes the standard compressor has settings or presets that allow this.

The idea is that in the absence of the desired signal ie dialog, the plugin lowers the volume between words by a set amount. Less is better to avoid it becoming too obvious.

It is possible Audacity might have one built in.

High end plug ins like Waves make several but they are really quite expensive.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!