VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Definitely not a color correction monitor but still for the price.

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-B326HUL-ymiidphz-32-inch-Widescreen/dp/B00JB6HE62/179-68368...SIN=B00JB6HE62

Not bad for $429.99
    Last edited by newpball; 3rd Mar 2015 at 20:10.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The size is about right. The dot pitch on my 27" 2560x1440 is too small for my old eyes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Cons:
    - This panel has a forced overdrive setting that you cannot turn off. Whenever you move a window/anything around there will be a very noticeable almost flashing purpleish shadow following anything you move around (this drove me crazy/caused eye fatigue for me)
    - Mine had dead pixels
    - Colors are muted, even with calibrations this monitor didn't have clear quality color representation
    - AVHA Panel seems to bottom out on the low end of the color scale, things that are dark are way too dark (you lose quite a bit of detail in the blacks)

Cons:
    * Flashing in some games (Skyrim, ARMA3, etc) and certain Google maps areas, just like the BL3200PT.
    * Very poor black uniformity. The one I received had clouding issues, and the one side of the screen was lighter than the other.
    * Very poor gray uniformity. This display has the same banding issues as the BL3200PT, and it is noticeable in normal use.
    * Noticeable inverse ghosting and unadjustable overdrive. You can see a blue trail on the mouse cursor. It is noticeable in games as well. The BL3200PT does not have this issue.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Wow LG 34" UltraWide for $800 with madsavings

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=7704205&SID=0c3993dff36c4cce8efba57a0...025-066&cm_sp=

With the curved version you could do something like this:

The future looks bright (from all directions)!

Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by newpball View Post

except up and down ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And behind.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by _Al_ View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post

except up and down ...
    Seriously have you ever worked for longer periods on a desk with multiple monitors?
    Looking up and down all the time is far more strenuous than looking left and right or twisting your chair a bit.

Seriously the sometimes lack of common sense on this forum.......
    Last edited by newpball; 5th Mar 2015 at 13:45.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Seriously?! From the person who posted the semicircle?! Look in the mirror.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Seriously?! From the person who posted the semicircle?! Look in the mirror.
    Why?

We could do another bet that 10 years from now a lot of engineering cubicles will actually look like this, perhaps a little bit more stretched vertically but not much more.

It is basic ergonomics, screen real estate is essential for good editing and looking up and down is just not feasible.

For instance you really cannot go any higher than this:

This, I would argue, is pretty bad ergonomics, I could not work with this, too high, my neck would strain:

Wow, a wall of six ultrawides:

http://youtu.be/zeCd8oC_38I?t=37s

You need some serious GPU power to drive that!

Last edited by newpball; 5th Mar 2015 at 13:51.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have no idea why you'd think having to keep looking left, right and centre is any harder than looking up or down a bit. In fact I'd prefer having to look up and down a little than having to keep turning my head/body through 180 degrees all the time.

Obviously different workflows would have different requirements, but if you've used a multi-monitor setup for more than 10 minutes you'll know often having the various Windows as close to each other as possible is more productive, especially if you're copying data from a program running on monitor A while pasting it into a program on monitor B while keeping an eye on monitor C. The less head spinning required, the better.

And once again, it'll be different for different tasks, but wide-screen computer monitors are often not the most practical. Depending on the software etc, even several 4:3 screens might be more productive. As you disappear down the wide screen rabbit hole, never to have a rational aspect ratio discussion again, maybe at least try to remember there's a reason why many wide screen monitors have a portrait mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	de1716d0_desknew.jpeg
Views:	6444
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	30599

Click image for larger version

Name:	4-portrait-monitors-1.jpg
Views:	3085
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	30600
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Lol, that's basically an ultrawide curved screen!

And yes different tasks require different aspect ratios.

I am sure a "desktop publishing help forum" would have members with different requirements.

But eh, this is the videohelp forum right?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, a desktop publishing help forum would have members with different needs, just like this one. The members here aren't two dimensional and no doubt have interests outside video and aspect ratio obsessing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    "Immersive bliss" indeed!

A review on the LG 34UM94 Ultrawide Monitor

Who can not be excited about this?

Quote Quote  
  14. It's like somebody took a 16:9 monitor and sliced around 500 rows of pixels off the height.
    I'm excited......

Does it come with little curtains each side that close a little when watching 16:9 video?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!