VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I received a couple of videos that I assume have been split into many pieces. The individual files are named:
    • xyz.wmv.001
    • xyz.wmv.002
    • xyz.wmv.003
    • ... etc. ...
    One has 7 pieces and the other has 8.

Each file except the last is exactly 40,960 KB.

If I rename the 001 file to remove the ".001", then Windows Media Player will sorta play it. This doesn't work for any of the other files.

Can someone recommend a program that I can use to join them back into a single file that I can view?

I will probably not need to do this very often, maybe never again, so I'd prefer something very simple without a lot of bells and whistles or much of a learning curve.

I don't mind paying for the program, but I may never use it again, so the cheaper the better.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    No. You are not looking for any video joiner. You want a file joiner. Or else would each file play in wmp.

Try FFSJ, http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~hoangle/filesj/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Note that if any of the individual pieces got corrupted, which can happen if you downloaded it from the internet, the video will probably not fully play and will abort at the spot of the corruption or maybe refuse to play at all. You won't be able to do anything with this kind of error. Just warning in case it happens.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Groucho2004
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    What about something simple like good old "copy/b xyz.wmv.001+xyz.wmv.002+xyz.wmv.003+... final.wmv"?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like these are component elements of a segmented zip file (or similar archiver/compressor), so you should try opening with one of those.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    No. You are not looking for any video joiner. You want a file joiner. Or else would each file play in wmp.

Try FFSJ, http://www.jaist.ac.jp/~hoangle/filesj/
    Wow!!! FFSJ works great! What an excellent recommendation. I really like that is offers a no-install version. I just copy it to the folder where the files are and run it. And it's tiny (396 KB).

Thanks so much for that pointer.

Now that I have it all combined, I see that it's over 45 minutes long. But there's only about 10-15 minutes that I am interested in. Is there a similarly simple program that will allow me to tag the sections that I want to keep and delete the rest? Or should I repost that in a new thread?

Again, thanks for the excellent help.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can cut wmv/asf with asfbingui....but the interface can be a bit confusing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Windows movie maker would surely suffice for this? If you don't have it, it is a free download:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-live/movie-maker
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. Windows Movie Maker will work and is probably easiest but it will always reconvert the video(lose video quality).
    Quote Quote