VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab All-in-One and rip streaming video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'd like to make a recording that allows me to use my HD webcam, and switch to my desktop at times. I didn't think this would be so difficult, but after trying several different things, I've been surprised to find that nothing I've tried has been able to do this adequately. I need something that easily allows me to switch between the camera and desktop while recording, records in HD, and records sound in at least stereo. What would you suggest?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried Mirillis Action! It can record the desktop and I think also from webcam in recent versions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Took a quick look at that, this doesn't really look like what I'm looking for. It seems to be a desktop capturing software for streaming...which happens to be able to do webcam and record. I'm really looking for something that is meant for recording and multiple sources, and that will allow me to easily switch between sources while recording. There seems to be a lot of amateur crap when it comes to these program, I'm really looking for something a bit more professional.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt you will find anything proffesional with desktop capture also. But if you do post back.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ridiculous that "professional" software can't do it....what a load of bs. I really don't understand it, it's as if all software programs are required to be idiots.

How in the heck are people posting any videos that allow them to alternate between webcam and desktop?

I've be fine with something that gives me full recordings of both that I can edit later.

I started the process trying to keep it simple and use what I have. The logitech software that came with the webcam (big mistake I know), and vlc to capture the desktop. I ended up with a webcam recording that had mono sound, which was absolutely useless to me, and a huge file from vlc that nothing can open, perhaps it doesn't like hour long desktop captures....

Does anyone other there make any software that actually works?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Pretty sure Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) will be perfect for what you want: https://obsproject.com/

1. Right click > Add > Monitor Capture/Window Capture depending on situation
    2. Right click > Add > Video Capture Device > Logitech cam (if DirectShow ofcourse)

Then just untick the box to switch between monitor and webcam (the one on top has priority on the viewing). It will be some learning in order to set up the reoslutions and what not but should be good. Always great to learn OBS since it's so versatile.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I played around with that, but it appears to be intended primarily for streaming, with recording an after thought. I was unhappy with the video quality, and it was doing something weird with the audio resulting in a doubling of the sound. It seems the only setting I could find for the video quality was setting the bitrate, it didn't seem to have any real settings for the video format type, and only gave me lossy audio choices.

This program has come the closets so far, as it does allow capturing multiple sources and easily choosing between them. But, it just isn't at the level that I'm looking for as far as capturing those sources. Like I said, I'm looking for something a little more professional, not an amateurish streaming software of low quality that throws in a record feature as an afterthought.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Looks cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have missed that Wirecast also supports desktop capturing.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm trying this out and playing around with it. And, it'll do for recording....but if I"m gonna go pro with this, may as well use it for streaming. And....what is this, some sort of a cruel joke? It doesn't work at all for streaming to youtube. When I go to the output settings and select youtube and click authenticate, it opens a browser to youtube, which I log in, and click accept, which takes me to a page with a code I'm supposed to copy and paste. Meanwhile....Wirecast is still waiting for something to happen, it is stuck on the Please sign into YouTube using your browser window, with the only thing I can click there is cancel. Meanwhile, youtube just has a code that it expects me to do something with.

God....I hate idiot programmers that can't actually make a piece of software that works properly. What the hell, man? What is this....some kind of a joke? And they want nearly $500 for that? Do they expect anyone to buy it after trying out the trial and running into confusion like that?
    Quote Quote