VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    - resolved - see post # 27

is there any way to install Internet Explorer under windows xp ?

my current version is 8

so, i was attempting to load up some youtube and vimeo webpages in an old browser app that i did custom (delphi) programming in, (i.e., twebbrowser) and for some reason, those webpages will not load. "the program cannot display the webpage". i'm guessing that my browser DLL's are outdated and i need to update them with the latest ones, but the m$ website will not update mine and wants me to install windows 7 or 8 which i have on my laptop and windows tablets, and don't need my custom app for those machines. I believe that somewhere inside this programming project, it is using the resources from IE 8 system files.

thank you.
    Last edited by vhelp; 7th Mar 2015 at 23:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No. IE 8 is the last version that will run on XP. IE 9 and above require features that are not included in Windows XP.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp, I still run XP and I can watch videos on both YouTube and Vimeo in IE8.

YouTube does display the old browser version warning, but the site still functions in IE8.

Perhaps you have another problem that is not related to IE8?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i honestly can't tell for sure. i can go to those web pages fine under firefox 27.01 and chrome x and opera 12.17 just fine.

but the browser project (delphi) will not open those pages...

i am using both delphi 6 and delphi 7 to test. youtube and vimeo pages won't load.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i still receive this java script error, could never figure out how to get rid of.

"(!) access violation at address 633A001A in module jscript.dll. . . "

but here are what i get when i try those webpages:

this is from a bare-bones project since i didn't want to show my other project. this program is a very simplied version to demonstrate the problems with retrieving those webpages.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to go with firefox since it still works with xp for updates.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IE has lots of issues anyway.
    Use Chrome or Firefox instead.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    lordsmurf beat me to it. I can personally confirm that the latest Chrome still works in XP.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    This is good development. People at this stage should really be discouraged from still running XP. Same with flash, finally YouTube is on HTML5, hopefully they will put a reasonable end to legacy support and then stick to it!

And yes folks that is my honest opinion, an opinion by the way that seems so indigestible to some here that they feel they have to resort to personal attacks. I don't care if it is not a popular one among some of the frequent posters here it is my opinion and I stick to it!

Maintenance of obsolete software costs our economy billions. Of course there has to be a transition, you announce way ahead when support stops, but there also must be a clear end, some people simply ignore it and then complain when support stops.

Nightmares like IE 6, endless XP support and now flash should come to an end. And yes there will be stubborn people who won't update, well that's too bad then!

Chrome is doing the right thing and ending it all in April 2015:
    http://googleforwork.blogspot.com/2013/10/extending-chrome-support-for-xp-users.html

It is waiting now for Firefox. Their current stance is absurd IMHO, they have big bug backlogs and their resources are thin and instead of fixing present things they work on supporting an OS that is no longer supported? Go figure!

Last edited by newpball; 28th Feb 2015 at 23:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    http://googleforwork.blogspot.com/2013/10/extending-chrome-support-for-xp-users.html
    There are only two right things that Chrome could ever do:

get rid of its moron-friendly interface, OR destroy itself.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    There are only two right things that Chrome could ever do:

get rid of its moron-friendly interface, OR destroy itself.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    And yes folks that is my honest opinion, an opinion by the way that seems so indigestible to some here that they feel they have to resort to personal attacks. I don't care if it is not a popular one among some of the frequent posters here it is my opinion and I stick to it!
    Got an example of these personal attacks because you think people should be discouraged from running XP?

Not because you repeatedly ignore questions or inject your opinion despite it doing nothing to help with the problem being discussed, or because you post annoying pictures, but an example of a personal attack simply because you think people should be discouraged from using XP.

"Maintenance of obsolete software costs our economy billions." Where'd you pull that figure from? Where have you worked where the cost of upgrading software is zero? Where training staff to use new software comes free?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Avant Browser http://www.avantbrowser.com. I'm not sure if they're using their own version of IE (the early versions required the IE engine to run), but the Ultimate version has an IE compatibility mode, Firefox and Chrome. You can switch on the fly between browsers without having to exit (though you still have to reload open page(s))
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's time to upgrade. Get win 7 or 8.1 and you will be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free. A good time to change. XP cannot do what win 7, 8.1 or 10 can do. You can pull a 8 wheel trailer with a VW but, not very efficiently.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    XP cannot do what win 7, 8.1 or 10 can do.
    For example?
    Granted, some software no longer supports XP. That was inevitable. You haven't been able to upgrade IE on XP since IE8, so that's hardly anything new. And hardly a problem for anyone who wouldn't use IE anyway.
    I'm still waiting for a practical example of something I'll be able to do using my PC if I upgrade Windows XP. Something that'd improve the experience of running my usual software. I keep asking.......
    I imagine the difference must be huge. Especially for Windows 10. I assume that's why Microsoft is giving it away?

Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    You can pull a 8 wheel trailer with a VW but, not very efficiently.
    That's definitely one of the most bizarre Windows analogies I've read so far. I get the VW is probably supposed to be XP. What are we talking about though? Golf? Passat? Transporter? The 8 wheel trailer part though..... I guess that's not a $500 notebook or a tablet? What are we referring to there?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Originally Posted by pepegot1 View Post
    XP cannot do what win 7, 8.1 or 10 can do.
    For example?
    Granted, some software no longer supports XP. That was inevitable. You haven't been able to upgrade IE on XP since IE8, so that's hardly anything new. And hardly a problem for anyone who wouldn't use IE anyway.
    I'm still waiting for a practical example of something I'll be able to do using my PC if I upgrade Windows XP. Something that'd improve the experience of running my usual software. I keep asking.......
    If you are using old software on a PC as old as yours, you are right. Window 7, Windows 8.x, and Windows 10 probably won't do much to improve the experience for you.

I did notice one older program (designed for use with Windows 98, Me, and XP and not at all video related) actually worked better when I switched from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7 and a new PC. The use interface was somewhat broken under XP SP3, but works perfectly with Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. I'm sure you don't use it.

A few other programs, MS Office 95, as well as old versions of Nero Express, Cyberlink PowerDVD, and Cyberlink PowerProducer were incompatible with Windows 7. I can't say that I miss them. I switched to Open Office, did without Nero Express, and got newer OEM copies of PowerDVD and PowerProducer with a Blu-Ray burner a couple of years ago.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    For example?
    I imagine the difference must be huge. Especially for Windows 10. I assume that's why Microsoft is giving it away?
    As long as WinXP does what you need done I wouldn't upgrade either since I detest fixing something when is not broken. However, in my situation I'm forced to upgrade due to the fact Quickbooks won't install on WinXP beginning with the 2015 version. However, I decided to install Win8.1 to dual boot with WinXP because there are some older apps that won't run in later Windows versions. I also had to replace a wireless adapter because the old one that still works in WinXP isn't recognized in Win8/1. The dual boot setup gives me the best of both worlds imo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys.

As long as WinXP does what you need done I wouldn't upgrade either since I detest fixing something when is not broken.
    i agree, nothing is broken in my desktop pc with windows xp and everything works pretty well illregardless of the age of this OS. And i don't consider myself behind the times since i do have windows 7 and windows 8.1 on other equipment that i use in-between free time. Anyway.

As i stated originally in my first post, i have windows 7 (laptop) and windows 8.1 (tablet) and both are working quite well. However, I do most of my work, (programming hobby mostly) on my desktop pc. I surf on all my computers quiet well, using Chrome, Opera, and IE9 and my custom browser under windows 7 and my desktop pc (windows xp, using Opera, Firefox and my custom (delphi programed) browser) so there is no issue be it xp/7/8.1.. The issue is with my custom browsers and webtools that are not totally working with Youtube and Vimeo anymore, and that i suspect that it is because my delphi compiler uses the ActiveX control that is directly tied to the Internet Explorer via DLL/COM features. There is no ActiveX control/component for Delphi that supports any of my installed Opera or Firefox or Chrome browser. Therefore, i was wondering if there were any unofficial installation methods for IE9, hack or other means, to install under windows xp so that i can continue work in my custom browsers and webtools that i want to continue using on my desktop pc with windows xp. That is what this thread discussion is about. As i was saying... Please note, that these custom browser/webtools I developed under delphi 6/7 work perfectly fine under my laptop's windows 7 (in 32bit mode) and I have no problems pulling up and viewing Youtube and Vimeo videos on the laptop in windows 7. But it is windows xp that these custom tools will not completely work when i try to surf over to Youtube and Vimeo website, unless there is a way to trick those websites into thinking that my browser is IE9. I think i read something about that some time ago, but i'm not sure.

i develop various tools, including Database, Internet, and other tools for these platforms/OS's:

delphi 6 and delphi 7 for my desktop pc under windows xp
    delphi XE7 Professional 32/64 bit support under windows 7 on my laptop pc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    great news... so far, i found an alternative solution. Delphi Chromium Embedded, a component i install in the delph ide environment. but that was last updated in 2011. it works, and at least i can view youtube and vimeo websites under windows xp again. we'll see how that goes for now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still use netscape....no viruses for me

try it...you'll love it!

http://www.netscape.ca/ns/browsers/7/download/
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is a video site. Windows XP still rules the world for video capturing.
    Vista and Win7 are so-so for video capture.
    Win8 is terrible.
    Win10 probably guts it even more.

This is why many of us still have WinXP systems deployed.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This is a video site. Windows XP still rules the world for video capturing.
    True only for standard definition analog capture, since some well-liked capture hardware and software is incompatible with Vista or above.

For DTV and high definition video capture, especially HDMI, Windows 7 and Windows 8 are a better choice than XP. Some of the software and hardware I own is incompatible with XP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    +1 for xp. i do all my SD (analog) s-video capturing from my directv dvr with my hdpvr 1. i have the elegato for the HD for my dell laptop 64bit windows 7 home premium but i don't have any HD source mediums to use it on for daily use. and, my 8 pound laptop sits on my dinning room table where its connected to my neatreceipt scanner for convenience, and my desktop pc is in the living-room/den area of my apt where its closest to my directv dvr where my dish is inside my apt next to the window. thus, my desktop situation is most convenient for me.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hey vhelp,

Have you updated Flash lately?

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah. i've tried many times, but it won't install, because several years ago i was using ilo shield and system mechanic, and one day i ran their registry tunup utility and it screwed up my pc so bad that i get the wrong apps that try to run when i do things like right click an image (instead of the Properties poping up) for instance, and some citrix app tries to load but can't, or some windows installer tries to run but then fails, and a few other quirks. but i suspect that flash won't run because the registry is so falwed up it fails every time. i still get the weekly popup to update, but i just cancel it.

actually, your question just gave me an idea. i have my netbook pc with windows xp home. i should test my custom browser/webtools on that to see if it works. if it does, then your theory may be the answer, that it is fash that's causing the problem all along. thanks. but i'll have to get back to you tomorrow since my netbook is at work.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Try uninstalling the old version of Flash first:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Good luck...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - resolved - my flash version was outdated. thanks moviegeek.

my custom made browser/webtool does work on my netbook with windows xp--youtube and vimeo webpages show and so do all the videos. i do recall having trouble uninstalling flash from my desktop pc, before, but i will have to try again.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!