VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It seems that peeps are fixed on the idea that length should be 1280p period (not more, not less). But then most of the time AR of the encode wouldn't be 100% identical with the source. Just an example, the other day a friend was arguing that my crop/resize is not right.
    A 1920/1036=1.853 source (2x22px crop) for instance.
    I intended to keep the AR and get as close as possible to 1280p, and ended with 1286/694= 1.853 (same as original AR).
    My friend said he'd have made it 1280/690 which is 1.855 so slightly different AR from source. When I asked him why he can only say 1280p is standard, period lol. Well, that's not good enough argument for me, sorry. I can't see why one couldn't play flawlessly a 1286/694 file. I play my files without problems from pc with MPC/LAV/madvr spline resizer. Changing AR will even hurt the quality in my opinion. Any suggestions, good reason why I should force resize to 1280p? Thanks
    ps. I realized after posting it should be under "Video Conversion", I apologize, could someone move it? thx
    Last edited by mkvonly; 26th Feb 2015 at 01:10. Reason: wrong category
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It depends entirely on what you consider a good reason. 1286 is not mod16.

1280 looks neater and makes more sense when compared to standard resolutions, you can look at it and think "ah, that's 720p".

1280 prevents people like your friend from commenting on it...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    1286 is not mod16.
    Heck, it's not even Mod4. Nor is 694. As you are explaining, there are other reasons besides just keeping a perfect AR to resize differently than mkvonly suggests.

Originally Posted by mkvonly View Post
    I intended to keep the AR and get as close as possible to 1280p, and ended with 1286/694= 1.853 (same as original AR).
    My friend said he'd have made it 1280/690 which is 1.855 so slightly different AR from source.
    A tenth of a percent difference? Are you serious? Do you think the eyes can even tell? I'd probably do it for 1280x688, actually, under a .4% difference. Remember, you need roughly a 2% aspect error before a ball begins to appear even slightly oval.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by mkvonly View Post
    It seems that peeps are fixed on the idea that length should be 1280p period (not more, not less).
    Yes, I know the type!

And before we go on and on about this mod 16 or not is not going to make any noticeable difference.

Those who disagree are free to give an AB comparison of the 'dramatic' differences for all to see.

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Last time I checked, certain settings in VLC would give you ugly green lines if the video resolution wasn't divisive by a decent MOD value.

It limits the devices you can play videos back on without artefacts, not all of the old devices that couldn't handle odd resolutions would have been thrown out yet.

If you plan on distributing a video (which obviously we aren't in this case) not adhering to decent MOD values would be irresponsible.

The resolution he's considering does look ugly on paper as well.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lol, I thought it was already said before that mod16 has no meaning nowadays and only for anamorphic (DvdRips) was useful if I remember correctly. Maybe on old devices helped but not these days. I can't remember where I asked about mod16 and I was told I should ignore it. I still didn't get an answer, is there a reason why a 1286/694 file wouldn't play flawlessly?, as I said I have no issues playing it. Why would be 1280x690 better then 1286/694 taking in consideration that 1286/694 kept the original AR.

Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    Last time I checked, certain settings in VLC would give you ugly green lines if the video resolution wasn't divisive by a decent MOD value.

It limits the devices you can play videos back on without artefacts, not all of the old devices that couldn't handle odd resolutions would have been thrown out yet.

If you plan on distributing a video (which obviously we aren't in this case) not adhering to decent MOD values would be irresponsible.

The resolution he's considering does look ugly on paper as well.
    You should use MPC if you want better quality, less cpu usage and flawless playback. Vlc is probably the worst player of all, especially for HD movies.
    "look ugly on paper", exactly, only on paper, I don't care about how it looks on paper lol.
    Last edited by mkvonly; 26th Feb 2015 at 02:13. Reason: quoted a comment
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I said, it depends entirely on what you consider a good reason.

(and please tell me how to disable deinterlacing in MPC, I couldn't figure it out.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    As I said, it depends entirely on what you consider a good reason.

(and please tell me how to disable deinterlacing in MPC, I couldn't figure it out.)
    Why do you want to disable it? I never disabled it, I use LAV + madvr. Chose "Weave" for no deinterlace.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Because I don't actually use my PC to watch things, I have a WDTV for that. I use VLC as a tool to help me analyse my DVD/Blu Ray rips and other files to help me decide how to process them properly. I'm more interested in IF they're interlace than seeing them look presentable.

Selecting "LAV Video Decoder (internal)" pops up exactly the same LAV settings window as I get when I select "LAV settings" in the Codec Pack whose name if even mentioned on the MakeMKV forum gets the post automatically and irrevocably deleted and if mentioned on GitHub apparently gets you banned for life. Whatever deinterlacer MPC uses by default on my PC tends to add interlacing artefacts somehow to videos that are otherwise progressive encoded as interlaced, so I've switched on Yadif 50/60p. Hopefully that helps.

The "Settings" that play up in VLC when the MOD settings aren't right are some of the output modules, which lets you select between different renderers in case you think a renderer is causing an issue, I suppose MPC has add-ons for that kind of thing.

To answer the actual thread "A Good Reason" is subjective, if you came here already determined your chosen resolution was impeccable then you're pretty much just trolling asking a question like that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    If I were the O.P.:

1920 ÷ 1036 = 1.8532818532818532818532818532819

1280 ÷ 1.8532818532818532818532818532819 = 690.66666666666666666666666666667

So, I would first resize to 1280×690, then crop to 1280×688, then re-encode.

And FWIW:

MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 require mod8 at least.
    MPEG-4 ASP and WMV3/VC-1 require mod2 at least.
    H.264 also requires mod2, at least when chroma subsampling is used.

Just my 2 cents.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncompressed_video#HDMI_Specifications

If you follow standard resolutions your player can simply add black bars to the top and bottom to get it to 720p then pass the video through a HDMI connection as is (which would prevent double dose resizing when played back on WXGA screens).
    Quote Quote  
  12. 1280x690 gives you an aspect ratio distortion of 0.097%. Just a little more than none. It's less than one pixel out (1036/1920x1280=690.667).

1286x694 gives you an aspect ratio distortion of 0.014%.

I tend to try to stick to a mod4 width myself. Not because it's likely mod2 will be a problem, but just in case. If you're resizing with Avisynth:
    Spline36Resize(1280,690,0,0,0,-1)
    Cropping 1 row of pixels gives you an aspect ratio distortion of exactly zero (1035/1920x1280=690). I'd possibly do it that way.
    Unless I cropped a tad more and resized to 1280x688 instead. Cropping an extra 4 pixels from a height of 1036 is hardly the end of the world when the result is zero aspect ratio distortion (1032/1920x1280=688). I'm a bit OCD with aspect ratio distortion so I'd possibly do it that way too. Just because......
    Last edited by hello_hello; 3rd Mar 2015 at 10:13.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!