VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

Hello, friends.

I am trying to find a good lapel microphone to use with my Canon VIXIA HF R500 camcorder...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders/consume...AndAccessories

The problem is that I live in Venezuela, South America, where politics and the economy are so bad, that it is not easy to find the right accessories when I need them. I travel back to Atlanta, once a year, and try to pick up better equipment with each trip, but, for the moment, I need to make do with what I can find here locally.

Last trip home, when I bought the camera and began preparing for my first filming project, somebody recommended that I buy a shotgun microphone, and I did. It is the Polsen SCL-1075. As I film now, it has helped a lot, but is still not close enough to the subjects for better sound. If I had a little more help, and a boom, I suppose I could hold it over their heads, but I would rather not go that far, just yet, but only as a last resort. (Below is the link to the Polsen mic)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=bannerE&A=switchLanguage&Q=&ul=E&man...hMexico-_-toEN

But, as I intended to shoot a series of skits, to use in my line of work, with two or three actors in each--each person using hidden microphones--I had expected to use lapel-microphones mainly, and to use the shotgun only as a back-up, by recording with all of them simultaneously. In fact, in my ignorance, I counted on using little computer microphones like the Genius Handsfree Clip-on Omni-directional Microphone, as they had the same 3.5mm stereo plug...

http://www.amazon.com/Genius-Handsfree-Omni-directional-Microphone-Internet/dp/B007LA1TAW

Of course, as soon as I plugged it into the camcorder, I heard nothing in the test recording. It was too bad, because I had bought two of them for just the purpose. What a dummy.

In fact, while I was first in Atlanta, making general plans for this project, someone had recommended that I buy a little microphone mixer, in order to plug several microphones into my camcorder simultaneously. I ended up buying the Azden CAM-3, listed here...

http://www.azden.com/products/mixers/cam-3/

Unfortunately, as I was counting on the lapel mics that I already had, I did not bother to buy a different type of mic. As it stands, these computer mics do not work at all with this mixer, nor when plugged directly into the camcorder.

I might add that my Polsen shotgun works fine with this Azden mixer, and works fine plugged directly into the camcorder jack, also. The Polsen uses one AA battery inside it. What does not work is the computer mic described above.

In the meantime, I have to make these videos as soon as possible, working with what I can find locally.

I have three digital memo recorders, and I put one in each subject's pocket, attaching the same computer-mics described above, to those recorders, and that worked well for getting sound a lot closer to the subject. (In fact, the quality was not as good as I had hoped, even in "HQ mode") The worst part is that, on my video editor, on the computer, I will have to sync the sound manually from each recorder, to the video, in order to get the best results with these little memo-recorders. I would rather have all the audio going directly into the camera during filming, to avoid that very tedious process, not to mention the touch-up that I have to do on each audio recording, on the computer.

I am assuming that, until now I have been using the wrong "type" of microphone, all along, and not just the wrong model. (Most of you are probably saying, "Duh...no kidding.")

So, in Venezuela I went all over town looking at other possibilities to replace the computer mics, so that I could plug something better into the Azden mixer, and run the mixer into the camera.

While I found lots of big, traditional, hand-held microphones in local stores, I found no "lapel mics" as such (although there are hundreds back home in the U.S.A.). What I did find locally--at two different stores--was the tiny VCM-3 Peavey "Choir microphone"...

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/691/115651/VCM%26trade%3B3ChoirMicrophone-White#features

While it does not have a clip, it looks like a lapel mic, and with the windscreen taken off, it is even smaller. Moreover, because of the nice exchange rate at the moment, on old stock, I could buy this mic for $88 brand new here, which may be cheaper than back home. Nevertheless, the question is "Will it work on my camcorder?"

The store would probably not allow me to return it, if it did not work, so I don't want to take a chance without being sure. After looking at the specs provided through the links above, what would you say? Is it a sure bet or is it rather another wrong choice?

And, by the way, would you also please tell me what the correct "type" of microphone is that I need--in any case--in order for it to work on my camcorder?

If there are several "types" that will work, please tell me what each one is called. Please also explain briefly to me, if you will, why one type works and not another. This way, I will not only understand whether the choir mic will work, but, if I stumble across another mic somewhere, I will immediately know whether it is the right type as well.

If you can excuse my ignorance on this subject, I will be grateful for all the suggestions and information that you can provide--especially whether this Peavey will do.

Sincerely yours,

Erik
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Your Genius microphones, while not the best quality, are medium-impedance and should have worked with the Vixia. Did you adjust the microphone level as described in the (English) manual on Page 144? I presume the mic cable terminates in a TS plug — you might have to convert it to TRS so you are feeding just one channel.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the suggestion, J.V., and for your patience in reading my long post.

In fact, I had the camera in "auto" mode, all along, which I should have mentioned. Even so, in P[rogram] mode, the mic sensitivity (input volume) is already at 70%, and I could raise it, but I would hate to get some uncorrectable distortion and clipping, by raising it much further. For one thing, the Polsen mic does fine without raising the input vol.ume, while the Genius mics (and other computer mics that I tried) give me absolute silence, as if in "mute". This must be the wrong type of mic, but I don't know what the "right" type is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, now I see in your OP that the Genius has a stereo plug just like the Polsen and is of similar impedance. The only difference, then, is that the Genius appears to be dynamic. Perhaps you need to stick to condenser mics. The Vixia manual does say to plug in a condenser microphone. Your choir mic is a condenser and will require phantom power to operate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ErikJon View Post

What I did find locally--at two different stores--was the tiny VCM-3 Peavey "Choir microphone"...

http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/691/115651/VCM%26trade%3B3ChoirMicrophone-White#features

While it does not have a clip, it looks like a lapel mic, and with the windscreen taken off, it is even smaller. Moreover, because of the nice exchange rate at the moment, on old stock, I could buy this mic for $88 brand new here, which may be cheaper than back home. Nevertheless, the question is "Will it work on my camcorder?"

Erik
    NO! It wonīt ...the microphone in the peavey site requires phantom power which neither your camcorder nor your mixer provides...youīll need an external phantom power supply just to make it work.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Do you need/want the lavalier mics to be wired or wireless? (because you mentinoed the distance from which yo shoot your subjects), you could use microphones like this:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3656-REG/Azden_WLX_PRO_WLX_Pro_Wireless_Lavalier.html
    They are of the same brand as your mixer, there should be no problem coupling them together. Notice that they are on the lower end of the price/quality scale, of course there are much better ones but you donīt mention a budget limit, for example this one is a better unit (and it īs UHF, instead of VHF so theoretically youīd have less interference from a number of sources and a "cleaner" signal)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/564454-REG/Azden_105LT_105LT_105_Series_UHF.html
    Of course there are better brands (like senheisser, shure, sony) providing in general better sound quality, specs and features but the prices go higher, again, we donīt know your budget.
    If you think you can make do with wired microphones, you can use several within this list:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_PRICE_2|0&ci=8535&setNs=p_PRICE_2|0&N=402875...31&srtclk=sort
    Most are condenser microphones (like your shotgun) but have their own power supply (accepting different kinds of batteries)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wonderful information. Thank you!

So, the Peavey would work, if it were not for the need for external Phantom power. I did not know that. The box does say "electret condenser" but it also says "Phantom power required".

So, my goal is to look for a self-powered (i.e., battery-operated) microphone that is called a "condenser mic" (I overlooked that bit in the manual--sorry), but NOT to buy anything that requires phantom power. Got it. Correct me if I have misunderstood.

Bottom line: I should not buy the Peavey, but keep looking for something else.

JVRaines and Julitomg: you are the best. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And yes, I will look into those mics that you mentioned. I expected to pay up to $100 for each mic, but not really beyond that. Thanks for the links.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just don't have access to those devices where I live. I will write it down for my next trip home.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Iīm happy to help, but, donīt just take our word for it, I suggest you do some research on the subject. Thereīs a ton of info bute hereīs a good starting point:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphone
    Of course you donīt need to become an expert and learn all the theory. You may be interested more on the subject of polar patterns and the chapter (named "varieties") that describe the difference between a condenser and a dinamic mic, for example (so youīll know more about phantom power, its uses and advantages, etc)
    Also, when you find a piece of equipment that you think might work for you, look into the web for reviews, for example, youīll read how itīs worked (or not) for others, its pros and cons, also there are a lot of youtube videos where people review and test microphones and stuff, for example this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuBCyt-KOs
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Julitomg.

Yes, I happened to do that before buying the Polsen mic, and saved myself from buying a different model that did not live up to its name.

I appreciate your kind help.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!