VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am new here and have only done very low key video editing in the past, such as recording TV and syncing Rifftrax to movies so i don't know a whole lot about this field. I hope this is the right section to post this question. Also please note that cash is tight for me right now so any answer that involves me having to buy new hardware or replace my computer will not work, I am hoping to fix this problem without having to spend a lot of cash, I have to work with what I have at the moment and what I have is a computer that has worked well as my DvR up until a few months ago when this problem seemed to pop up.

Okay so for reasons I can't understand it seems that some times my video capture card is capturing video at 24 fps but it is capturing the audio at the normal 29.97 FPS Tv broadcasts on so the audio is going out of sync. I figured I could fix this myself by demuxing the files and then using audacity to introduce a delay in the audio file. There is just one problem, I can't seem to find anything online about what kind of delay I need in order to sync up the audio. There is plenty out there on what to do when you are syncing 25 FPS audio to 23.97 FPS video but nothing out there about how to do it for 29.97 FPS audio with 24 FPS video. If anyone here knows what percentage or number of seconds delay I need to add to make this work could you please tell me?

I have been trying to figure it out on my own for a week and have had no luck.

Thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This sounds really strange...

Does the sync gets worse and worse? How many seconds as most?

What do you capture with? The capture card software?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DrMovieandtvfan View Post
    but nothing out there about how to do it for 29.97 FPS audio with 24 FPS video.
    You must be mistaken unless the audio is 20 minutes off after an hour and sounds like The Chipmunks.

How about a text file from MediaInfo so we can see what you really have. And as Baldrick asks, how much is the audio off after how much time? And the audio gets worse as time goes on, and plays more and more ahead of the video?

As for figuring a delay, you play the video using a player that can change the delay on the fly, one such as MPC-HC. Once you figure it out then you can set the delay when remuxing, or remove the delay entirely. But from your description it's not a constant but a progressive delay and just setting a delay won't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    This sounds really strange...

Does the sync gets worse and worse? How many seconds as most?

What do you capture with? The capture card software?
    I am using WinTv 7 and the 1255 capture card that goes with that. The audio starts out about 1 second ahead of the the video and then by the end of a one hour file it is as much as three minutes off. The voice don't change but they are way out of sync. As I said I am new to this but when I convert the video to 29.97FPS it seems to stay in sync but then the video is really jumpy and it can be hard to keep track of what is going on in action scenes.

Thanks for the help I will look into getting you more information.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!