VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can provide to help me.

I have filmed all of my son's basketball games this season and we are heading into the playoffs soon. I would like to find an efficient way to cut, label, and save video clips to create a highlight move for the team banquet.

All video is AVCHD and saved on hard drive. A few games were recorded with a Sony camcorder 1920x1980i30(*.mt2s), the rest with my Canon DSLR1920x1080p30(*.mov). I will have about 35 or 40 hours of video by the end of the season. Probably around half a terabyte.

I own licenses to the following video editors.
    Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11.
    Adobe Premiere Elements 13 that I just purchased bundled with Photoshop Elements 13.

I struggled with burning AVCHD disks with the Sony software, so did the Adobe trial and everything worked great so I bought it. I went through one game and clipped the highlights, but can't figure out how to label them, or export them as individual highlight files.

I am open to using other tools if they don't cost too much, free would be awesome since I don't do this professionally.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dlbzone View Post
    ...but can't figure out how to label them, or export them as individual highlight files.
    I do not understand what you mean by label them, in Adobe you can give clips a name and also a color.

Do you want to export clips as separate files in Adobe?

If so then you cannot do that automatically, but what you can do is render a work area of one of more clips or make a nested sequences and render those.

Question though is why? Wouldn't you want to make one video with highlights comprising of many clips?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [/QUOTE]
    I do not understand what you mean by label them, in Adobe you can give clips a name and also a color. [/QUOTE]

Great, can you tell me how to do this? I did see about the colors in a search, but didn't see how to assign a clip a name.

[/QUOTE]
    Do you want to export clips as separate files in Adobe?

If so then you cannot do that automatically, but what you can do is render a work area of one of more clips or make a nested sequences and render those.

Question though is why? Wouldn't you want to make one video with highlights comprising of many clips?[/QUOTE]

You are right, if I can make it work, it would be nice to have everything contained within the project.

How could I use those same clips in another project though. I would like to create a video with just my son's highlights to share with family too.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dlbzone View Post
    How could I use those same clips in another project though. I would like to create a video with just my son's highlights to share with family too.
    Easy, in Premiere 2014 CC you can open (in read only) any project and copy anything to a new project.

One possible workflow, and I am not saying this one is the best, is to make one project will all the interesting clips. Of course make sure before you star to cut things up to do basic levels, white balance and other stuff. Then you can create new projects and take whatever you want from this base project for various montages.

As an alternative you can simply make additional sequences to recompose the clips. But if you go fancy with the clips you want to make sue you do your effects at the master level so that when the clips are reused they inherit the effects.

Quote Quote  
  5. You don't need to buy Premiere Pro, you don't need to create multiple projects. In Vegas Movie Studio you can make an add-edit at the start and end of the piece you want, right click and select "create subclip."

Label your subclip however you want and it may be helpful to put all your selects into a "highlights" folder.

There is probably a similar function in Premiere Elements, but I don't use it so can't give a step by step.

[Attachment 30418 - Click to enlarge]

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    But if you go fancy with the clips you want to make sue you do your effects at the master level so that when the clips are reused they inherit the effects.
    Not necessarily good advice. The more effects you add too early the more likely you are to bog down the timeline.
    Last edited by smrpix; 23rd Feb 2015 at 21:29.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree. Create some effects and save them as "custom presets", but don't apply them then. Once you've got the subsequent edit down, apply the custom preset effects to THOSE clips. Doesn't take that long and actually usually saves time overall.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks everyone for the great advice so far!

Key comments:
    1) I decided to move ahead using Adobe Premiere Elements 13 for a few reasons.
    - It is newer than my licensed version of Sony Vegas, by a couple versions.
    - It scales well on my UHD display.
    - I have had good success authoring AVCHD disks for playing on Blu-ray with it.
    - I was referred on the Adobe forum within minutes of posting to a nice tutorial titled "PE11: Project Assets Organization for Scene and Highlight Grabs from Collection of Video Files." This has been very helpful in getting me started in the right direction.

2) This process is really time consuming. I wish I had been doing this throughout the season. I have a steep learning curve and hope to learn shortcuts to make the process more efficient.
    - Great recommendation to make presets for effects. I will definitely have to learn how to do that. (I use develop presets in Adobe Lightroom and that saves me tons of time.)

3) I have Game 1 all clipped up and named so I can identify the necessary attributes of the clip at a glance, See example below. I have Game Folders and Scene folders nested in the Game folders that contain the highlights.
    - G01 S01-01 14-01 S-2P-LU = Game1, Scene1, Highlight1, Player#14, PlayerHighlight1, Steal-2Points-Layup.
    - After I create a highlight, I use the duplicate command to create the next clip, which keeps most of the highlight name that I need, and also lets me continue right where I left off in the previous clip.
    - I probably don't really need all this detail, but I don't want to get 25 games into the project and realize that I should have included more detail.

4) I think I am going to try to work on some transitions and effects and building of presets next and try to get highlights from Game 1 looking pretty good. One I am satisfied with the results, I will get back to cutting up and organizing the highlights for the rest of the games.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!