VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I cracked the LCD screen of my laptop and I wanted to get my documents from it. I don’t have any spare monitors, so I bought a HDMI-Composite converter to connect an HDMI cable to the broken screened laptop to the converter to composite cables to my Zenith CRT tv. No, I don’t have an HD tv. All I am getting when I do this is a blank blue screen, a screen which is definitely different from the default one for the tv. I assume some sort of connection is wrong. I checked to make sure multiple times that all of the connections were sound. The converter has a PAL/NTSC switch so I made sure to set it to NTSC. I’m really at a loss as to why this isn’t working and the converter cost me $40 bucks. I really need it to work. Can someone please suggest what could be wrong?

P.S. I tried plugging in another laptop to the adapter and I got the same blank blue screen on my tv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If your laptop has a standard VGA connector, take the converter back & get a refund. Then go to a garagesale/fleamarket/thrift/resale/pawn/used-goods shop and buy a clunky LCD or even CRT monitor for $5-50 (yes, they are often that cheap).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. How would I ascertain that? Pardon my ignorance.

This is the converter attached in the photo.
    Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Akhet View Post
    Can someone please suggest what could be wrong?
    Lot of things but i would check first if "external output only" is active or not (Fn+display key).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Akhet View Post
    I cracked the LCD screen of my laptop and I wanted to get my documents from it.
    Remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by Akhet View Post
    Can someone please suggest what could be wrong?
    Lot of things but i would check first if "external output only" is active or not (Fn+display key).
    This Fn + display key ... could you explain this please. I am assuming it's on the keyboard. I'm not trolling I really don't know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fn_key
    http://www.mytoshiba.com.au/support/items/faq/387

If you have problems on getting an image displayed on the correct monitor, you should use the FN + F5 hot key to change the display settings (if you then disconnect the external monitor before you turn the computer's power off, be sure to press FN + F5 hot key again to switch to the internal display).
    Quote Quote  
  8. As a rule there's a function key, probably labelled Fn and possibly with blue writing on the key. If you hold it down while tapping the display key, the laptop should cycle through the different display modes (single, mirrored, dual etc). The display key's probably the one with a "symbol" on it that might look something vaguely like a monitor screen if you use your imagination, and it might also be blue, but it'll be one of the F keys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0939a.JPG
Views:	1025
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	30405
    Last edited by hello_hello; 23rd Feb 2015 at 02:16. Reason: spelling
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok thanks! I tried holding down function and tapping each one of the f keys multiple times in succession individually but nothing happens. I just see a blank blue screen on the tv.

P.S. I tried the same thing on a functional laptop and nothing happens either. Same blank blue screen.

OK Update I just tried again on the functionally screened laptop and I am getting audio input from Youtube out of the tv instead of the laptop but I still see a blank blue screen. No video.

I was able to display video on the laptop with the functional screen by going into the control panel and forcing it to display onto the tv. The problem is how can I do that with the broken screened laptop when I can't see the menu to go in and force it?

At least I know the adapter works well ;0
    Last edited by Akhet; 23rd Feb 2015 at 02:57.
    Quote Quote  
  10. You have another computer, the easiest solution is to get a 2.5" HDD enclosure, remove the drive from the dead screen laptop, put it in the enclosure and download your files directly to the other laptop. On Vista and above, you will find your files in the Users folder under your username. With XP look under Documents and Settings (this example is not my screen cap, ignore the red circles and the username is justme).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Akhet, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,

Moderator redwudz

And I would agree about using a 2.5" USB enclosure and backing up your files that way if you can't get the video converter to work.
    You could use the enclosure for the laptop drive as a new backup drive if you decide not to repair the broken laptop.

Replacement laptop screens are often available on Ebay, but it's not simple to change out one.
    You can also view tutorials for laptop maintenance on YouTube, including hard drive removal and screen replacement.
    Last edited by redwudz; 23rd Feb 2015 at 09:39.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, removing the drive from the laptop and putting it in another computer or a USB enclosure is by far the simplest and least expensive solution. You can use the drive for backups once you've retrieved all your important files.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Or go to your neighbor house that have lcd tv and connect the laptop there even cheaper
    Quote Quote  
  14. Rather than fuss with an enclosure I keep one of these in my tool bag to recover data from SSDs and laptop hard drives:

StarTech.com USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA III Hard Drive Adapter Cable
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!