VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a new computer for video editing, Toshiba Satellite C55-b5270, and it says in the specs that it supports 1366x768 (HD), 16:9 aspect ratio, and 720p content. Does 720 content mean that the camcorder can have a maximum resolution of 720p? It seems that most HD cameras have a minimum of 1080p, at least the one's I'm looking at. Is this the wrong computer? If so, I must return it by tomorrow (Monday) for a refund.

Thanks for your help,
    Lakevid

Here are full specs of the computer:

Performance
    PROCESSOR*
    Intel® Pentium® N3530 Processor
    OPERATING SYSTEM*
    Windows 8.1
    GRAPHICS ENGINE*
    Mobile Intel® HD Graphics
    Memory and Storage
    MEMORY*
    8GB DDR3L 1333MHz memory
    HARD DRIVE*
    500GB HDD (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
    OPTICAL DRIVE*
    DVD-SuperMulti drive (+/-R double layer)
    Audio and Video
    DISPLAY SIZE
    15.6" widescreen
    DISPLAY TYPE*
    HD TruBrite® LED Backlit display
    DISPLAY RESOLUTION
    1366x768 (HD), 16:9 aspect ratio, Supports 720p content
    AUDIO
    Built-in microphone, DTS Sound™, Headphone jack (stereo), Stereo speakers tuned by Skullcandy

Expansion
    SMARTCARD READER
    No SmartCard Reader slot
    MEDIA
    Memory Card Reader
    USB PORTS
    1-USB (3.0) port, 2-USB (2.0) ports
    HDMI
    HDMI® output port
    RGB
    RGB port
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That is the screen display size. It can still process and display HD video. You would need probably a 17" screen for a native display of 1920 X 1080 pixels.
    My Asus laptop has a 1366x768 display and 1920 X 1080 HD video looks OK. If you are planning to use a laptop for editing, more important is the CPU
    and likely the video card specifications. I'll let others comment on laptop specifications for video editing and processing.

And not sure how familiar your are with Windows 8.1, but IMO, it's really made for a touch screen PC. I usually install a program like Start8 to make it work
    more like Windows 7 as I prefer that GUI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks redwudz! I don't know if this is the right computer to run Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum. Perhaps, others can comment on that.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Lakevid View Post
    Thanks redwudz! I don't know if this is the right computer to run Sony Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum. Perhaps, others can comment on that.
    I certainly can give you my comments:

1366x768 is absolutely not enough pixel real estate for video editing.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks newpball. Does that mean that any 15.6 laptop will not work for video editing?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Lakevid View Post
    Thanks newpball. Does that mean that any 15.6 laptop will not work for video editing?
    I would not recommend a laptop for any kind of video editing. First of all the screen is small and second those screens usually suck quality wise. Third it is very limited connectivity wise, you cannot add internal drives, no option for PICe cards, no overclocking, not flexibility on video cards, the list goes on and on.

If you do not want to replace the laptop at least hook up an external monitor.
    Last edited by newpball; 22nd Feb 2015 at 20:34.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again. Any ideas on low cost external monitors? Could this PC use my 2009 iMac as an external monitor?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the info. for my iMac. Screen res. is 1920 x1200.

NVIDIA GeForce 9400:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400
    Type: Display
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0867
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3379
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Depth: 32-Bit Color
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    All of newpball's comments should be taken with a grain of salt. Particularly when commenting on "what's good enough for ...".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm really new to this and so, to me, all of you are experts. I'm trying to figure out if I should return this computer.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your laptop is not ideal for video editing, but could still be used for editing home movies with Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum. Its CPU and memory more than meet the minimum hardware requirements for Vegas Movie Studio 13 Platinum. However a 500GB hard drive is rather small for storing HD video files, and having a second hard drive makes a big difference, although you could attach an external USB 3.0 drive. A video card is used for hardware accelerated encoding, but not everyone uses hardware accelerated encoding. Using the CPU by itself just takes longer.

A 1366x768 screen can work. However, you might be more comfortable using a larger screen if that is what you are used to. If your iMac's monitor has a DVI or HDMI connection you could use it with the laptop. (If the monitor has DVI, you would use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to the laptop.)

That being said, if the laptop will primarily be used for editing video and portability isn't important, I would return the laptop and get a desktop. You will get more for your money, and non-slim desktop PCs from the big name PC makers can usually take 1-2 drives in addition to the boot drive. Also, internal hard drives are less expensive than USB 3.0 drives of the same capacity.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks so much , usually_quiet. Great clarity.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!