VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bhershey View Post
    ,,,ADVC-55 --> Firewire --> Canon FS-CF, AVI, Flash Card.....
    I seriously wonder if you know what you are doing.......

Quote Quote  
  2. What are you talking about NOW yogi newpball... user pippas suggested these devices can record the ADVC output... if that's true then I've found my solution!

Please offer suggestions instead of insults.

This seems to be an even better solution, more popular, higher compatability...

http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2AD75/Datavideo-DN-60A-CF-Card-Portable-Recorder/

I've confirmed elsewhere the DN-60 is compatable with the Canopus ADVC-55 output. AWESOME
    Last edited by bhershey; 13th Mar 2015 at 19:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here a idea get a Hauppauge HD-PVR Rocket
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Surely you need a computer for that device to work?..... If so, that unit is not really relevant to this thread...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Surely you need a computer for that device to work?.....
    No, the Rocket is a standalone device. But it always deinterlaces interlaced sources leaving a jerky flickery mess.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A terrible suggestion for VHS to DVD transfer, since it deinterlaces all interlaced input, and even worse. dumps every other field in the process, giving a jerky capture. (To preserve the original video's smooth motion, there should be 59.94 progressive frames per second but this device only provides 29.97 progressive frames per second.)

Hauppauge used to provide input and output information in the specs on its webpage for this device, but has since removed it. Probably the only way to hoodwink the public into buying this piece of crap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    Surely you need a computer for that device to work?..... If so, that unit is not really relevant to this thread...
    No it is a stand alone device
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Originally Posted by pippas View Post
    No it is a stand alone device
    I think I must have been looking at the software 'drivers' and things necessary to use the unit in the 'pass through' mode.....

Not really to be recommended for this type of job though, if the comments above are anything to go by....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    A terrible suggestion for VHS to DVD transfer, since it deinterlaces all interlaced input, and even worse. dumps every other field in the process, giving a jerky capture. (To preserve the original video's smooth motion, there should be 59.94 progressive frames per second but this device only provides 29.97 progressive frames per second.)

Hauppauge used to provide input and output information in the specs on its webpage for this device, but has since removed it. Probably the only way to hoodwink the public into buying this piece of crap.
    That odd I just re-tested both the Hopper Joey and my old Sony Hi8 camcorder and I'm getting solid 59.94 progressive frames in stand alone mode and don't see any jerky capture it smooth motion just like original video's as play from the Tape or TV.
    Now PC mode now that a diff story the frames per second don't seem stick to a solid 59.94 so I have talk them about that don't see any jerky capture it smooth motion just like original video's as play from the Tape or TV.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM

That odd I just re-tested both the Hopper Joey and my old Sony Hi8 camcorder and I'm getting solid 59.94 progressive frames in stand alone mode and don't see any jerky capture it smooth motion just like original video's as play from the Tape or TV.
    Now PC mode now that a diff story the frames per second don't seem stick to a solid 59.94 so I have talk them about that don't see any jerky capture it smooth motion just like original video's as play from the Tape or TV.
    Regardless, the Rocket is still a terrible suggestion for a company that does VHS to DVD conversion. VHS is interlaced. DVD is interlaced. Going from interlaced to progressive to interlaced is not a good workflow.

Maybe if you were more focused on what the OP in a thread wants and less focused on promoting Hauppauge's products in every post, you would make more appropriate suggestions.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Mar 2015 at 12:17. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search PM
    It is a VHS is interlaced. DVD is interlaced. Going from interlaced to progressive to interlaced is not a good workflow.
    Actually I recently learned to my shame from my fellow members that the DVD standard fully supports progressive video.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    It is a VHS is interlaced. DVD is interlaced. Going from interlaced to progressive to interlaced is not a good workflow.
    Actually I recently learned to my shame from my fellow members that the DVD standard fully supports progressive video.

DVD from film sources might be stored as 23.976 fps progressive on the disc, but it is played at 29.97 fps interlaced. ...and we are not discussing a film source. We are discussing VHS home movies as the source. Those are 29.97 frames per second interlaced, and it makes much more sense to capture them that way.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM

DVD from film sources might be stored as 23.976 fps progressive on the disc, but it is played at 29.97 fps interlaced. ...and we are not discussing a film source. We are discussing VHS home movies as the source. Those are 29.97 frames per second interlaced, and it makes much more sense to capture them that way.
    Oh, I agree they should be captured and archived interlaced!

However if displayed on anything but CRTs one might consider delivering the video deinterlaced with frame doubling. Obviously DVD would not be the right medium as it cannot handle 60p.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

You can do 480p progressive if had right hardware decoder which min reg dvd didn't have but today Blu-ray player do.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search PM

You can do 480p progressive if had right hardware decoder which min reg dvd didn't have but today Blu-ray player do.
    No, you are wrong!

Fellow members corrected me in an earlier topic, SD video at 25/30fps progressive is completely supported by the DVD standard!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

No, you are wrong!

Fellow members corrected me in an earlier topic, SD video at 25/30fps progressive is completely supported by the DVD standard!
    I guest you don't get it
    YOU CAN PLAY 480p progressive WITH right hardware decoder WHICH CALLED a Blu-ray player get over it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Regardless, the Rocket is still a terrible suggestion for a company that does VHS to DVD conversion. VHS is interlaced. DVD is interlaced. Going from interlaced to progressive to interlaced is not a good workflow.

Maybe if you were more focused on what the OP in a thread wants and less focused on promoting Hauppauge's products in every post, you would make more appropriate suggestions.
    I was ref to this to workflow mess...

JVC SR-V101US --> S-video --> TBC-1000 --> S-video --> ADVC-55 --> Firewire --> Canon FS-CF, AVI, Flash Card
    JVC SR-V101US --> S-video --> HD-PVR Rocket no need for all that stuff from time to time you may have to used the TBC-1000 that really pain but tapes.

Well if still want make DVD with interlaced then that fine be side it time to move on Blu-ray any way or like some people are want just the video to put are home media server as raw file to play back that way.
    I perf progressive over any interlaced
    This what look http://www.shspvr.com/movie_other/sony-hi8-hdpvr-rocket.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by SHS View Post

I was ref to this to workflow mess...

JVC SR-V101US --> S-video --> TBC-1000 --> S-video --> ADVC-55 --> Firewire --> Canon FS-CF, AVI, Flash Card
    JVC SR-V101US --> S-video --> HD-PVR Rocket no need for all that stuff from time to time you may have to used the TBC-1000 that really pain but tapes.
    ]
    As the OP is already using an ADVC55, then just going for a solid state DV recorder has got to be a better answer than taking a chance on a 'Rocket' which -if the posts above are correct - would make mess of de-interlacing the VHS footage
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search PM
    I guest you don't get it
    YOU CAN PLAY 480p progressive WITH right hardware decoder WHICH CALLED a Blu-ray player get over it.
    You can use all caps but it really won't make your argument any stronger.

You can put progressive 25/30p SD video on a DVD and since it is part of the DVD standard a standard DVD player will be able to play it.

Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well if still want make DVD with interlaced then that fine be side it time to move on Blu-ray any way
    No. Authored Blu-Ray only supports interlaced video at SD resolutions. Read at "What Is Blu-Ray" if you don't believe me. ...or better yet have someone read it to you since you are apparently functionally illiterate.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Mar 2015 at 15:29.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM

You can put progressive 25/30p SD video on a DVD and since it is part of the DVD standard a standard DVD player will be able to play it.

I forgot that for MPEG-1 video, 352x288 pixels at 25 frame/s, progressive and 352x240 pixels at 29.97 frame/s, progressive are allowed. (The same as for the VCD Standard.) However, since most people probably don't want less than full D1 MPEG-2 video on their DVD transfers, I suspect the OP isn't using it.

For MPEG-2 video, 480p at 23.976 fps with 3:2 pull-down, 576i at 25 fps and 480i at 29.97 are allowed. 480p at 23.976 fps with 3:2 pull-down is a poor choice for home movies shot on VHS at 29.97 interlaced, so I doubt that the OP uses it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Search PM

I forgot that for MPEG-1 video, 352x288 pixels at 25 frame/s, progressive and 352x240 pixels at 29.97 frame/s, progressive are allowed. (The same as for the VCD Standard.) However, since most people probably don't want less than full D1 MPEG-2 video on their DVD transfers, I suspect the OP isn't using it.

For MPEG-2 video, 480p at 23.976 fps with 3:2 pull-down, 576i at 25 fps and 480i at 29.97 are allowed. 480p at 23.976 fps with 3:2 pull-down is a poor choice for home movies shot on VHS at 29.97 interlaced, so I doubt that the OP uses it.
    But also 25/30p for full SD (480/575) is allowed!

I did not know that and to my shame had to admit I was wrong!

Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM

No, you have misremembered, or misunderstood. There may be some DVD player somewhere that plays 25/30p for full SD (480/575) but the spec doesn't allow it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search PM

No, you have misremembered, or misunderstood. There may be some DVD player somewhere that plays 25/30p for full SD (480/575) but the spec doesn't allow it.
    That's what I thought as well but to my shame I was corrected by some of the experts on this forum

later I will find the original topic in which this was discussed
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by newpball;2381196[Quote
    That's what I thought as well but to my shame I was corrected by some of the experts on this forum
    But you may not be remembering all that you learned as you're not making the important distinction between how it was encoded and how it was output. For example, you might encode something for DVD as progressive 29.97 frames per second, but the player will always output it as 59.94 fields per second (or interlaced 29.97fps with each field pair from the same point in time).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by newpball;2381196[Quote
    But you may not be remembering all that you learned as you're not making the important distinction between how it was encoded and how it was output. For example, you might encode something for DVD as progressive 29.97 frames per second, but the player will always output it as 59.94 fields per second (or interlaced 29.97fps with each field pair from the same point in time).
    What are you talking about, if you can put 25/30p progressive on a DVD and it plays you do not think that means it is fully supported by the standard?

Here is the topic in question for those who are interested:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370581-Self-made-DVD-s-from-DVD-recorder-showing-in...es-on-HDTV-why
    Last edited by newpball; 20th Mar 2015 at 17:08.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well we could always say the same thing about SVCD and so on usually_quiet.
    Let see once upon a time there are tools that allow you to change settings with in the video file such as 3:2 pulldown, framerate, video size/resolution and etc, etc there for tricking the authoring tools in doing what you want and there other way to but don't I want get in that one.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by SHS View Post
    Was the firmware or software was updated recently? I read in the past the 30i was always deinterlaced to 30p. In any case, the deinterlacing to 60p is pretty poor. It looks like a simple bob. All the VHS luma noise is gone -- and all the small low contrast detail went with it. Of course, that could have been partly your hi8 player's fault. Can you disable noise reduction in the Rocket? The hi8 player?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    What are you talking about, if you can put 25/30p progressive on a DVD and it plays you do not think that means it is fully supported by the standard?
    Just speaking the truth, something you like to take liberties with:

You should listen and learn from usually_quiet, since he knows what he's talking about. And don't contradict people on subjects about which you know little. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. DVD was developed for interlaced displays (old CRT televisions) and a DVD player always outputs 480i/576i. usually_quiet was absolutely correct.

Of course, in your own way you were correct as well, in the sense that one can encode as progressive. But you were contradicting him and you were wrong to do that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Was the firmware or software was updated recently? I read in the past the 30i was always deinterlaced to 30p. In any case, the deinterlacing to 60p is pretty poor. It looks like a simple bob. All the VHS luma noise is gone -- and all the small low contrast detail went with it. Of course, that could have been partly your hi8 player's fault. Can you disable noise reduction in the Rocket? The hi8 player?

No new firmware but the software is always getting update as they posted 1.0.33057

The tape is very old at least 10+ years it a Sony CCD-TRV328
    The Rocket doesn't haven't noise reduction as far I know of jagabo
    As for Sony Camcorder I forgot look and see if DNR and TBC was on or off and not sure what default was only just pop in the battery got a tape hook it up and made a recodering.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!