VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have several dvds personal photos, etc that i want to transfer to an external hard drive, do i have to name each one of those as i drag them from the dvd rom to the external hard drive, i assume if i don't they wont be recognized, i have lots of them to do. They would have to be named once on the external drive? or before?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Copy one, (re)name it when it's completed, go on to the next one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have many in groups such as when you offload vacation shots from camera, and the names are slightly different (dated, etc) then a handy utility to name before or after would be Bulk Rename Utility. http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Screenshots.php. It's free and works great for changing, numbering every way imaginable.

Just use the change portions of the camera names to your own, number them and it will show you a preview before you change. Just a possibility if you have a ton with a way to separate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_136 Feb. 20 00.08.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	30368
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like something left over from DOS days
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I love Bulk Rename....GREAT program.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Love it also... Only one I've found that handles dozens of variations for your favorite photos.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I'm not sure if i made this clear, but these are dvds already burned and i want to load them on to external hard drive, this is one at a time, by putting them into the pc dvdrom. Am i trying to do something i can't? Can you drag and drop them from there, if so you have to rename each one as you have it on the external drive or you can do it before?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by bad channel View Post
    I'm not sure if i made this clear, but these are dvds already burned and i want to load them on to external hard drive, this is one at a time, by putting them into the pc dvdrom. Am i trying to do something i can't? Can you drag and drop them from there, if so you have to rename each one as you have it on the external drive or you can do it before?
    This is computer 101 stuff man.....just copy and paste the damn disc to the external and be done with it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    This is computer 101 stuff man.....just copy and paste the damn disc to the external and be done with it.
    Exactly!

And yes, bulk rename is a great tool!

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    You'll have to over look my density, if i do these one at a time which is the only way you can do it, i don't think there are names on them except in the titles inside the dvds, so how will they be recognized,, do they all have to be named , other wise they will show up only as one, that's where i am confused. sorry
    Quote Quote  
  11. Are you copying isos or DVD folders?

If isos just rename it after it is copied i.e. LOTR4.iso
    If DVD files and folders, copy each into it's own folder and name it appropriately i.e LOTR4
    Quote Quote  
  12. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have several dvds personal photos, etc...
    Create as many folders as there are discs, and then copy the contents of each disc into each of the folders.

If you don't know how to do this, maybe you shouldn't be playing with computers...
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    I have several dvds personal photos, etc...
    Create as many folders as there are discs, and then copy the contents of each disc into each of the folders.

If you don't know how to do this, maybe you shouldn't be playing with computers...

WHAT'S WITH THE ATTITUDE HERE YOU COME LOOKING FOR A SOLUTION AND GET A CRACK POT
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search PM
    We are here to help.

Bad channel, let's take this step by step.

1. Put in a DVD in your drive, write down the drive letter, we call it X for convenience.
    2. Make a folder on your favorite drive called MyDVDs, we call you favorite drive Y for convenience.
    3. Now create a folder DVD1 in MyDVDs
    4. Now copy the files from your DVD in drive X to Y:\MyDVDs\DVD1

Repeat 3 and 4 but change DVD1 to DVD2, DVD3 and so on for every new DVD you put in your drive.

Are you with me so far?

Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several dvds personal photos, etc that i want to transfer to an external hard drive, do i have to name each one of those as i drag them from the dvd rom to the external hard drive, i assume if i don't they wont be recognized, i have lots of them to do. They would have to be named once on the external drive? or before?

thanks
    I think part of the confusion and frustration with this is that everyone is assuming you have Data DVDs based on your description ("I have several dvds personal photos, etc...". By chance do you also have Video DVDs in which the folder and file structure must be copied exactly as the original?

If its a Data DVD, the folder and file structure is the same as it would be on your hard drive and can just be copied by drag and drop into your new drive. You can move and rename them anything you like, but if you copy the entire folder(s) from the DVD to the hard drive, they'll retain their original names. Note that a Data DVD can contain anything including videos, but not Video DVD compliant video (with the rare exception below).

If it's a non-commercial Video DVD, the folders (there are only two folders Video_TS and Audio_TS*) and all files within those folders must be copied exactly as they are to the hard drive. If you rename any folder or file, the video will not be playable. If it's a commercial Video DVD, it's probably copy protected and you'll have to use something like HD DVD Decrypter to break the protection and copy the disc.

*Sometimes the Audio_TS folder is omitted since it's usually empty

There is a rare third type of DVD, Mixed Data DVD which contains both the Video DVD folders as well as data folders. Again, the Video_TS and Audio_TS folders and files must be copied exactly or the Video DVD portion won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
    Usually?

I refrain from commenting on this 'design gem' because I suspect I would, yet again, get the usual defense arguments over me.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search PM
    The reason for my question is, i have a ton of these, some mostly are ball games from tv burned by several stand alone burners -r 8x, i wanted to give them to my kids. If they are all out on an external drive regardless of how they are named or put in folders, will they then on play from the drive to a pc or will they hook to an hdtv for viewing ? I can copy them reburn them, but if i can put them on 4 different drives is that feasible to view with what source?
    Or am i better off buying a 5 bay burner and doing it that way.? Time, is one factor the ultimate factor is playback by what. I do have data dvds which are personal videos and photos as well.

So we have a complicated situation on my end, naming them and viewing them, simple if i reburn them, faster if i can put them on external drives.

I don't know if this is enough to clarify it , i can get a couple later and insert them to see how they show up on the pc, if i put them in the burner player, they will come up with the titles of what ever is on the dvd, there may be 1-10 titles on any of them, they will show that way upon playing them on the pc, what they will show just in the drive i don't know without inserting one.
    thanks
    maybe i have to big of an issue but there is a a way

cr is not an issue
    Last edited by bad channel; 20th Feb 2015 at 23:07. Reason: added
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search PM
    The reason for my question is, i have a ton of these, some mostly are ball games from tv burned by several stand alone burners -r 8x, i wanted to give them to my kids. If they are all out on an external drive regardless of how they are named or put in folders, will they then on play from the drive to a pc or will they hook to an hdtv for viewing ? I can copy them reburn them, but if i can put them on 4 different drives is that feasible to view with what source?
    Or am i better off buying a 5 bay burner and doing it that way.? Time, is one factor the ultimate factor is playback by what. I do have data dvds which are personal videos and photos as well.
    You are best off putting them on a hard disk and have your kids copy them as they like to their own hard drives.

The next generation is certainly not going to fumble with silly optical drives holding a lousy 4-9GB.
    For goodness sake they got keychain USB sticks with 132GB now!

And in a few years they have 1TB keychain drives.

Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    They are not that young, how ever factors change fast , it might be best, i give them to them as they are, they can deal with it when ever
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM

So we have a complicated situation on my end, naming them and viewing them, simple if i reburn them, faster if i can put them on external drives.

I don't know if this is enough to clarify it , i can get a couple later and insert them to see how they show up on the pc, if i put them in the burner player, they will come up with the titles of what ever is on the dvd, there may be 1-10 titles on any of them, they will show that way upon playing them on the pc, what they will show just in the drive i don't know without inserting one.
    thanks

cr is not an issue
    Okay, we're getting closer. It seems you do have Video DVDs from your description. Check one to be certain. You should have folders/files like this (source: What is a DVD page on this site):

AUDIO_TS
    VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO The first video play item, IFO, usally a copyright notice or a menu
    VIDEO_TS.VOB The first video play item, VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO Title Set 01, IFO, usually the main movie
    VTS_01_0.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 0, the menu for this title
    VTS_01_1.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 1, the video for this title
    VTS_01_2.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 2, if larger than 1 GB it will be splitted into several vobs
    VTS_01_3.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 3
    VTS_01_4.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 4, up to 10(0-9) VOB files if necassary
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO Title Set 02, IFO, usually movie extras
    VTS_02_0.VOB Title Set 02, VOB 0, the menu for this title
    VTS_02_1.VOB Title Set 02, VOB 1, the video for this title
    VTS_xx_x.BUP
    VTS_xx_x.IFO And so on
    VTS_xx_x.VOB
    VTS_xx_x.VOB
    VTS_99_9.VOB Up to 99(1-99) titles with max 10(0-9) VOB files each

This is a Video DVD and the folders/files MUST be copied EXACTLY as they are to the hard drive. The best way to do this is as an .ISO (which is an exact image copy of the disc. You won't have to worry about folder/file structure or renaming.

Since these are home copies I recommend DVDShrink. It should take no more than 10 minutes per disc. You'll have an exact image copy of the disc on your hard drive that can be burned to another disc (with ImgBurn) or viewed directly with certain media players (I like VLC for this) on your PC. You can rename the .ISO anything you like, but you CANNOT RENAME any of the folders or files.

Now on to playing them on your directly on your HDTV. Even if you have a Smart TV with a USB port, it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to play any Video DVD directly from a hard drive. Options are convert your Video DVD to a compatible format or stream it from your PC to your HDTV. This is a whole new aspect and topic that should be discussed later.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Usually?

I refrain from commenting on this 'design gem' because I suspect I would, yet again, get the usual defense arguments over me.
    Those crazy engineers again!

IIRC, I've actually seen data (e.g. PDFs) in the Audio_TS folder. Though I may be wrong and they were in a Data folder.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They are not that young, how ever factors change fast , it might be best, i give them to them as they are, they can deal with it when ever
    Sounds like a good plan. They probably know more about how to copy DVDs than you think.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM

thanks

cr is not an issue
    Okay, we're getting closer. It seems you do have Video DVDs from your description. Check one to be certain. You should have folders/files like this (source: What is a DVD page on this site):

AUDIO_TS
    VIDEO_TS
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO The first video play item, IFO, usally a copyright notice or a menu
    VIDEO_TS.VOB The first video play item, VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO Title Set 01, IFO, usually the main movie
    VTS_01_0.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 0, the menu for this title
    VTS_01_1.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 1, the video for this title
    VTS_01_2.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 2, if larger than 1 GB it will be splitted into several vobs
    VTS_01_3.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 3
    VTS_01_4.VOB Title Set 01, VOB 4, up to 10(0-9) VOB files if necassary
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO Title Set 02, IFO, usually movie extras
    VTS_02_0.VOB Title Set 02, VOB 0, the menu for this title
    VTS_02_1.VOB Title Set 02, VOB 1, the video for this title
    VTS_xx_x.BUP
    VTS_xx_x.IFO And so on
    VTS_xx_x.VOB
    VTS_xx_x.VOB
    VTS_99_9.VOB Up to 99(1-99) titles with max 10(0-9) VOB files each

This is a Video DVD and the folders/files MUST be copied EXACTLY as they are to the hard drive. The best way to do this is as an .ISO (which is an exact image copy of the disc. You won't have to worry about folder/file structure or renaming.

Since these are home copies I recommend DVDShrink. It should take no more than 10 minutes per disc. You'll have an exact image copy of the disc on your hard drive that can be burned to another disc (with ImgBurn) or viewed directly with certain media players (I like VLC for this) on your PC. You can rename the .ISO anything you like, but you CANNOT RENAME any of the folders or files.

Now on to playing them on your directly on your HDTV. Even if you have a Smart TV with a USB port, it's extremely unlikely you'll be able to play any Video DVD directly from a hard drive. Options are convert your Video DVD to a compatible format or stream it from your PC to your HDTV. This is a whole new aspect and topic that should be discussed later.
    ---------------------
    The ones i would have made on the pc would most likely have an ISO , if the stand alone burner would be what ever format the video is produced at, i do have a VTS_01_01 on this pc FYI i just located it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so you do have Video DVDs.

Download DVDShrink (it's free): https://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Shrink.
    *Yes, I know there are newer and better programs, but DVDShrink works for this basic operation and has an easy interface.*

Compression Setting: No Compression>Open Disc> Backup!>Select backup target: ISO Image Files>Select target image file: <your external drive><name**>OK

**This is where you can rename your .ISO image anything you like (by default all your .ISOs will probably have the same name since they're burned discs), just be sure to add .ISO at the end of the new name.

Note: ISO is a container and can contain anything, VIdeo DVD folders/files or data.
    Last edited by lingyi; 21st Feb 2015 at 00:59. Reason: Fix typos for clarity
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    And i assume you are telling me every dvd will have to have a different name preceding the ISO?

So after we do this, if we do, these will be playable via the external hard drive , primarily on a pc?

I am not into streaming, never did it.
    tks
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "And i assume you are telling me every dvd will have to have a different name preceding the ISO?"

Yes.

"So after we do this, if we do, these will be playable via the external hard drive , primarily on a pc?"

Yes, though not all video players (e.g. Windows Media Player) will play it directly.

Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search PM
    So under what method if there is one could i put them on the external drive so they could be played via tv or pc to tv?

Or due to the amount i have, buy a 5 tray burner?
    Quote Quote  
  28. You need a media player, the most common types are:

1. A standalone media player such as WDTV Live
    2. A Media Player built in to the TV
    3. A Blu Ray player that accepts external inputs
    4. A computer with media player software

I have no idea how you're hoping to use a 5 tray burner.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    Maybe I'd be better off buying a duplicator, to do this, multiple dvds at a time, how much my budget will allow, i will review all suggestions.
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is more for everyone else than the OP.

I think I've pieced together what the OP is trying to do despite the complete lack of clarity and information in the posts. He/she needs four copies of each DVD (this is where the 5 tray duplicator comes in) and had planned to put them on hard drives, but can't comprehend the process of ripping a Video DVD. *SIGH*

Anyway, I'm done!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!