VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I'm a newb so go easy. I am desperately trying to find a program to DL Digital 8 footage from several home movies off my Sony Digital 8 CC to my PC for saving, editing, etc. I'm using Firewire directly connected from CC to PC. I've tried WinDV to no avail, it won't capture off the CC, just looks for already captured video. Same with DVIO. Same with scenalyzer. The only one that has shown any vid at all onscreen has been Virtualdub but that thing is so incredibly complicated I can't figure it out. I just want a simple program to DL off the tapes I have to my PC for saving. I can handle some settings, like deinterlacing and audio and video size and type, etc. I'm just trying to get the friggin thing TO the PC so I CAN do something with it! What programs, preferably free, is available and from this century that can capture the friggin video off the CC to the PC so I can get it on my PC??? I've been through so many programs and settings my head is spinning. Need serious help here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "CC" means some sort of memory card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Oh I see....CC is "camcorder" I guess. Most camcorders need to be in playback mode (viewable through the LCD screen) to enable firewire transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There were windows 7 driver issues with some firewire devices. Since none of the apps would capture your problem may lie there. A bad port is another possibility.
    (I also had to read this repeatedly to figure out what "CC" meant. Very non-standard.)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    The card I bought said the drivers that came with it were causing issues with windows so folks were recommending just letting Windows install its drivers. I am able to see the video on virtualdub just not the other programs. I have a Sony DV camcorder also that when it's connected shows itself under Explorer as a type of drive. This doesn't. Is that normal?? There's no selectable 'drive' with 'camcorder' listed in drives under explorer. I may have to try to find different useable drivers if this doesn't work. This is the card I purchased http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Profile-PCI-Express-Chipset-SD-PEX30009/dp/B002S53IG8/ref=s...et-SD-PEX30009

I may have just found my answer, not sure yet though, will have to wait to try it at home. Posted by someone on Amazon:

Try updating the drivers. UniBrain makes great drivers for all FireWire cards. Hope this helps! - http://www.unibrain.com/downloads/
    Last edited by Sporttster; 20th Feb 2015 at 07:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Either way....when you see the video in VirtuaalDub.....that is "capturing". You need to do a straight data transfer via Firewire.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Be sure you use the FW400 (6-pin) port for DV capture. FW800 has always been sketchy.
    Quote Quote  
  8. And use the legacy driver. If it's win 7, then that driver is there but you need to install it. Search Google on how to install the legacy firewire driver.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using WinDV on a windows7 laptop with a firewire card and I had the same problem for a while. I had to update the driver. Does the IEEE 1394 controller show up as "working properly" when you look at it through the control panel?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    What Tree suggested was the issue. It needed the legacy driver installed. I followed that and was able to get it to recognize. Thanks for the help, folks! The other problem I'm having is with VirtualDub. It captures the video but not the audio, strange enough, no matter what settings I tried. I'm using WinDV and it works fine but was really wanting to use VD due to having more settings available. Anyone know what's up with VD not capturing audio??? I saw it mentioned somewhere that a cable from the soundcard to the capture card may be needed but that's silly as WinDV is able to use sound off the capture card. And the Capture card said nowhere on it about connecting any audio cables to the soundcard.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Once AGAIN......WinDV via Firewire is a DATA TRANSFER!!!!!!!!!!.......anything via VirtualDub is a CAPTURE. Two completely unrelated activities.
    A DATA TRANSFER via Firewire is 1000X better than capturing via VirtualDub. Why are you even entertaining the idea of capturing material from a Digital8 camera?
    What are you talking about??? BOTH images look the same when I copied them to my pc! The issue here is one produces audio, the other does not. I don't give a flip about the technicalities of how it does it, I'd like a answer as to why I can get audio from WinDV and not from VirtualDub. They both are coming off the firewire here. And to ask why I'd like to capture material from a Digital8 camera??? Isn't that a bit of a absurd question?? I'd like to put in on the PC so I can keep a digital copy of it there, and not just on my aging tapes! You get so caught up in the stupid terminology 'capture, save, download' whatever the h@ it's called. I'm interested in getting it FROM tape TO pc, that's it! You flip out when I put down CC earlier, not realizing this is the CAMCORDER forum??? OMG, I used a term you couldn't figure out??? Seriously?? Sorry, rant off, but I get tired of condensending priX that instead of helping would rather target some stupid crap instead. Thanks for the non help
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sporttster View Post
    Once AGAIN......WinDV via Firewire is a DATA TRANSFER!!!!!!!!!!.......anything via VirtualDub is a CAPTURE. Two completely unrelated activities.
    A DATA TRANSFER via Firewire is 1000X better than capturing via VirtualDub. Why are you even entertaining the idea of capturing material from a Digital8 camera?
    What are you talking about??? BOTH images look the same when I copied them to my pc! The issue here is one produces audio, the other does not. I don't give a flip about the technicalities of how it does it, I'd like a answer as to why I can get audio from WinDV and not from VirtualDub. They both are coming off the firewire here. And to ask why I'd like to capture material from a Digital8 camera??? Isn't that a bit of a absurd question?? I'd like to put in on the PC so I can keep a digital copy of it there, and not just on my aging tapes! You get so caught up in the stupid terminology 'capture, save, download' whatever the h@ it's called. I'm interested in getting it FROM tape TO pc, that's it! You flip out when I put down CC earlier, not realizing this is the CAMCORDER forum??? OMG, I used a term you couldn't figure out??? Seriously?? Sorry, rant off, but I get tired of condensending priX that instead of helping would rather target some stupid crap instead. Thanks for the non help
    With all due respect, what you wrote was confusing. When people use the words "capturing" and "Virtualdub" in the same sentence with respect to copying audio and video from a camcorder it usually means they are recording the output from the audio and video ports using an analog capture device.

Avery Lee, Virtualdub's author wrote this:
    Video for Windows only captures audio through a sound device; with DV, the audio is interleaved with the video itself. I don't have any DV specs, so I can't make VirtualDub extract the audio.
    That is one reason why nobody recommends the use of Virtuadub for DV tranfer.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!