VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried to back-up DVDs using a number of different programs. Whilst some won't work with protected DVDs, others say they do but those I have tried give me a good video but very poor (almost unhearable) speech although sometimes the music and some sound effects are fine. Can anybody explain this please?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Please give ALL information.

Just a dvd backup should be exact same like if you rip with anydvd, makemkv, dvdfab decrypter(rip to hdd). Then play the dvd folder, mkv or dvd iso with a vlc, mpchc.

Are you converting to avi,mp4 or something?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry, I didn't give the full problem.

The backup on my PC is OK but, when I put it into Adobe Premier Elements to combine it with another DVD, I lose the sound. This doesn't happen with films recorded from TV although the files seem to be in the same format. This has happened wit DVD decrypter and DVD Fab 9.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why join with adobe? Are you doing any advanced editing? I would guess adobe elements has problems with the ac3 5.1 audio.

If you just want to join two dvds can you try the old dvd shrink, under reauthoring (click on for some guides).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Many thanks for you time snd help.

I like to put 2 or more (sometimes on double layer) on 1 disc with a menu. I can't see how to do 2 films at once with DVD shrink.

I put 1 film through DVD shrink and it did improve the speech but it's still very muffled and also very out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tonwen View Post
    I put 1 film through DVD shrink and it did improve the speech but it's still very muffled and also very out of sync.
    Then the original is "muffled and very out of sync" because DVDShrink does not touch the audio.....at all.
    DVDShrink is old and cannot handle many newer DVD copy protections, but it still NEVER touches the audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. The original - from the DVD via DVD Fab 9 - is fine but when I put this through DVD Shrink it's awful. It's the same with DVD Decrypter.

I can't use DVD Shrink on the DVD because, as you said, it can't handle the copy protection.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The original - from the DVD via DVD Fab 9 - is fine
    Then keep using it(DVDFabDecrypter) and buy some dual layer DVDs....preferably Verbatim.....and use ImgBurn to burn. Jamming multiple Dual Layer DVDs onto one single layer DVD was never a good idea.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for your input hech54 but you haven't understood the problem. Files produced by DVD Fab and DVD Decrypter lose audio when loaded into Adobe Premier Elements.

I only use the main film and not any extras and I have been doing this for some years but the latest encryption seems to have me beaten.

I do use DL discs when I need to. I always use Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Thanks for your input hech54 but you haven't understood the problem. Files produced by DVD Fab and DVD Decrypter lose audio when loaded into Adobe Premier Elements.
    As stated earlier, neither of those programs change the audio from the original disk in any way, shape or form....never have. Your problem lies with Pro or Elements(whenever you decide which one you are using) Or there is something else going on that you are not telling us.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm not disputing what you are saying and really appreciate your taking the time to help an incompetent but I can only report that I have 2 sets of files. 1 from DVDFab 9 which are fine and 1 after DVD Shrink has processed the first lot which are not. The good ones lose audio quality when in PE.

Baldrick said this might be to do with the 5:1 audio not being handled by PE which seems to be the answer. Is there a way I can change the audio to sterio with DVD Fab or similar?
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK so I'm an idiot. When I tried doing the same thing I'd done meany times before but now without success, it seemed natural to think that the problem lay with the software which I hadn't used before (ie DVD Decrypter and DVDFab9). However, when thinking about Baldrick's comment about Premier Elements not coping with 5.1 audio I decided to do the obvious and look at the settings in PE. Of course, if you use the right settings, it works.

Having said that, the 1st film I did was perfect but the next one is odd. It is split into 4 sections (which is fine). sections 1 and 3 are good but the others have audio description which I can't get rid of.

I am also finding that DVD Decrypter won't close. I first get - Failed to set"" - and then - Failed to set data for 'DVDDecrypterPlayDVDMovieOn Arrival'. I have no idea what this means and have to use Task manager to close the program.

What am I doing wrong now please?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!