VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just got a Toshiba DVR620 to convert some VHS tapes of martial arts forms from the school I went to 13 years ago, to digital, so I can watch them on my PC. I just returned to the same school and want to use these videos as a learning aid. ( they don't have videos anymore but still do the same forms )

I have an Asus Essentio CG5270 with an ATI Radeon 5670, which doesn't have any video inputs.

In the Toshiba forum, they're telling me to just hook the DVR620 up to my TV, which does have a HDMI input that I can hook the HDMI output from the DVR620 to, but I'd have to do it in another room from my PC and hope that it works well with the TV and I can successfully convert the tapes, using the TV for the menus.

But I'm wondering if there are any modern video carts made, that have a DVI and HDMI output for a monitor, AND a HDMI input that can be used to monitor this process on my PC, AND if they exist, if they're not expensive? ( Otherwise I'll just try the TV )

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The way your question is worded seems a bit contradictory. You want to make digital copies of some VHS tapes, that part is clear. What ISN'T clear is why you would just now purchase a Toshiba DVR620, which would easily convert those tapes to DVD (i.e. "digital"), but immediately set it aside and come here to ask about video input cards for your PC? A popular choice for PC video input is the Hauppauge USB Live 2. It isn't expensive, so you can compare results from it with what you get from the Toshiba, then decide which is more usable for your purposes.

A dvd copy of VHS is digital in nature. The DVD itself is playable on any computer with a disc drive, those that don't have a built-in drive can use a portable external $30 USB dvd drive the size of a deck of cards. And of course, dvds can be played in any standard dvd or BluRay player. If you prefer to have the recordings on your PC hard drive instead of loose dvds, you can simply "rip" (copy) the dvds to your hard drive and play them from HDD with any media player software. Making the dvds should be quite easy with your Toshiba: load a VHS, load a blank dvd, and press "DUB".

The only reason to involve your computer is if you DON'T actually want dvds at all, whatsoever, but instead would prefer to dub your VHS directly into standard generic PC video files like AVI, MP4, MKV. Or, you want to make MANY edits to the original VHS after digitizing. In that case, return the Toshiba, because it is completely superfluous to this task. Go to any thrift shop and buy any clean $20 VCR. Connect it to whatever PC video input you buy, and dub your tapes.

Do be aware that there is no "Easy AND Perfect" way to digitize VHS: vhs is a nasty, unstable video source that digital encoders have a lot of trouble with. You can choose "easy but average/mediocre" (use the Toshiba to make DVDs) or "perfect but very time consuming, difficult, complex and expensive" (use your PC and a whole buncha accessories and software packages). If it were me, I'd just use the Toshiba: these martial arts tapes should be pretty uniform in quality, fairly simple visually, and not need much editing, which makes them easy for the Toshiba to convert to decent dvds.

You could buy a video input device for your PC, but results from VHS vary wildly. Standalones like your Toshiba have built-in stabilizing circuits to cope with VHS, but PC video devices do not. They often require additional accessories, software filters and whatnot to achieve the same or better results. Ironically, many people here connect an external VCR to the inputs of a recorder like the Toshiba, then connect the outputs of the Toshiba to the inputs of their PC video device (using the Toshiba as a buffering stage). Thats how convoluted things can get when trying to digitize VHS with a PC: for some people it works out easy peasy, but for many its a confusing headache.

If you can accept DVDs as your "digital copies," and don't need to edit much (copy the tapes as-is), forget the PC route and just use your Toshiba: it was designed specifically for the job. Connect it to your TV via HDMI and use the TV to monitor the process. There isn't much to monitor, really: before dubbing, you should fast forward and rewind each tape to loosen it up, checking the beginning, middle and end of each tape to make sure the tracking doesn't drift at any point (if it does, you will need to sit thru the entire dub and be ready to adjust tracking when it drifts (noise appears in the picture or sound). Otherwise, once you load the VHS and blank dvd and press the dub button, you can walk away and come back after it finishes. When the dub ends, be sure to "finalize" the DVD using the appropriate settings of the Toshiba. This will add a menu to the dvd and make it compatible with any software/hardware. The DVDs can later be converted into generic PC video files using a PC software utility like MakeMKV (if you want to play the videos on a smartphone or tablet instead of a PC).
    Last edited by orsetto; 18th Feb 2015 at 10:25.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I wasn't intending to compare the two methods, only wondering whether I could monitor the DVR620 process on my PC if I had a video card that had a HDMI input that would use its output, while I digitized with the 620.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MamaBear2015 View Post
    I wasn't intending to compare the two methods, only wondering whether I could monitor the DVR620 process on my PC if I had a video card that had a HDMI input that would use its output, while I digitized with the 620.
    At one time ATI made some video cards that also functioned as an SD analog capture device, but has not made anything like that for several years and never made any video cards capable of capturing HDMI. You would need a HDMI capture device for monitoring the process on a PC, not a video card. HDMI capture devices cost between $90 and $180 depending upon what is needed. Buying one for the purpose of monitoring a DVD recorder while capturing tapes is a waste of money unless you have no TV.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MamaBear2015 View Post
    I wasn't intending to compare the two methods, only wondering whether I could monitor the DVR620 process on my PC if I had a video card that had a HDMI input that would use its output, while I digitized with the 620.
    OK, that clarifies your question, in which case I agree that:

Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You would need a HDMI capture device for monitoring the process on a PC, not a video card. HDMI capture devices cost between $90 and $180 depending upon what is needed. Buying one for the purpose of monitoring a DVD recorder while capturing tapes is a waste of money unless you have no TV.
    It is of course your personal prerogative whether the convenience of monitoring the Toshiba on your PC is worth spending $90 extra on an HDMI input card. If you feel strongly that the expense is worth it, I'd recommend buying the card from a dealer with a good return/exchange policy, in case you're unhappy with how it works. One such card can be found here at NewEgg.

A more versatile option would be buying a small (15" or less) TV that you can just stack on top of the Toshiba 620 to use as a dedicated monitor. When your dubbing project is finished, you'll be left with a handy portable TV that can be used for other tasks or resold. One such TV idea here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks guys.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the Avermedia C027 is one of the least expensive HDMI capture devices, but it uses a PCI-e slot in a PC. If no PCI-e slot is available for installing one, then a USB 2.0 HDMI capture device is needed, which will cost in the neighborhood of $150, minimum.

I agree that a small TV would be a better investment if someone is only interested in using a capture device for monitoring.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    ...but it uses a PCI-e slot in a PC. ...
    That's a good thing!

Quote Quote  
  9. I was really just wondering if there was a standard video card that came with a hdmi input, so it could display what was on that input, on the monitor. But I should just do it on the TV, if they're that expensive.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!