VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I've been reading this forum on and off for years and it's been a tremendous resource for most things A/V. I've hit a bit of a snag about video conversion. At my job we can get any number of digital video files from any number of different video monitoring DVR's and the like, and it seems like each source we get is in some obscure file format that needs a codec I have to scour the web for (if I can even find one). Does anyone have any recommendations for a good video conversion service/company that I can send/upload these digital video files to and have them convert them to whatever format I choose (mp4, avi, wmv, etc...)? I realize that there's probably not one company "to rule them all" when it comes to codec support from so many manufactures, but I'm open to any suggestions anyone might have.

Thank you for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could upload / attach a sample here. ANd we might help. And then can you convert yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried ffmpeg? It can convert just about anything, and any service you might find on the web will probably use it too.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the problem i see is some surveillance dvrs go as far as making up their own video id inside the file so say it's really recorded in wmv, instead the file type identifier written in the file thousands of times might be urv. in which case nothing but hex editing with find/replace will get the video to play on a normal system as you won't ever find a urv codec as it doesn't exist, and there's no way to know what urv is supposed to be so it is a guessing game.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the replies, everyone. Due to the nature of the video source (from work), I cannot upload any clips here, sorry. I have not tried ffmpeg but I will definitely look into it. I'm all about scripting things via command line and such. Aedipuss has a great point which is partly why we want a company/service to deal with this. Some of this proprietary content just takes forever to research the possible (or impossible) codec/playback options. I'm getting the feeling that there really isn't a "one stop shop" for this kind of thing. Again, thanks for the comments.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I may be interested in providing a service such as that...PM me with details.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!