VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am currently trying to send video from Hi-8 tapes to lossless .avi format. Currently I am sending the video via a firewire cable directly to be captured by winDV. However, I read throughout the forum several mentions of using a separate capture card. I am a bit confused as to if this will enhance my video or if this is only used for analog purposes. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by videoconverter11 View Post
    I am currently trying to send video from Hi-8 tapes to lossless .avi format. Currently I am sending the video via a firewire cable directly to be captured by winDV. However, I read throughout the forum several mentions of using a separate capture card. I am a bit confused as to if this will enhance my video or if this is only used for analog purposes. Thanks!
    1. Firewire capture is always DV. DV is not lossless, it's about 2.5:1 compression.
    2. Hi-8 is analog, Your digital 8 camera is time base correcting the signal and converting it to DV.
    3. You can only capture "lossless" with an analog capture card. (And since your original source is analog there will always be some loss as it's digitized.)
    4. In the real world, the quality difference between analog capture vs. DV capture is marginal at best, and could possibly be worse.
    5. It comes down to how much time and money you are willing to spend.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videoconverter11 View Post
    I am currently trying to send video from Hi-8 tapes to lossless .avi format. Currently I am sending the video via a firewire cable directly to be captured by winDV. However, I read throughout the forum several mentions of using a separate capture card. I am a bit confused as to if this will enhance my video or if this is only used for analog purposes. Thanks!
    Video filmed using Digital8 or DV cameras is best captured through Firewire. Firewire transfer allows the PC to receive a perfect copy of the recording on the tape.

Using a capture device for lossless AVI captures is a good choice only when capturing analog tape formats. However, a fair number of this forum's members prefer using a Digital8 camera or DV capture device like the Canopus ADVC110 for digitizing their analog tapes.

The only good reason to try an analog capture device for lossless capture would be if you are dissatisfied with the results you are getting from capturing analog recordings via Firewire using a Digital8 camera as your capture device.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Another thought. Are you certain these are Hi8 tapes shot with a Hi8 camera, or are you just going by the label on the tape box? Hi8 tape formulations were generally recommended for D8 use and these may simply be D8 tapes from the get-go.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, pretty certain that these are Hi-8 because my screen shows the conversion sign every time I pop it in, it says something like "D8 -> Hi8/Analog8", thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by videoconverter11 View Post
    Yes, pretty certain that these are Hi-8 because my screen shows the conversion sign every time I pop it in, it says something like "D8 -> Hi8/Analog8", thanks!
    That would be a good clue, yes.

I'm of the school that believes with Hi8, the possible ~3% loss of quality in using a D8 camera and firewire into the computer is preferable to the 3000% increase in time, hassle and uncertainty using analog capture.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks for your response, just curious, I also have some older video8 tapes and also some newer miniDV tapes. in this case would the loss of quality be greater than that of the hi-8? I heard something that the hi-8 tape was supposed to be the pinnacle of quality or something along the lines. thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi8 had improved resolution over Video8. Digital 8 was a DV signal on an 8mm cassette but most of the hardware was backwards compatible with Hi8 and V8 so consumers would stay with Sony. Because it was DV it offered a more stable image and no head-switching noise at the bottom of the picture. Mini DV is a DV signal on a different size tape.

Once you're into the DV realm firewire is the absolute best (and realistically only) option.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix Could you elaborate about the "head-switching noise at the bottom of the picture"? I've noticed noise on the bottom of my Hi8 video that I have put on my PC using my Digital8 camcorder. I thought maybe there was a head alignment problem. Are you saying this is normal?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, this is normal for ALL analog TAPE video. Because each field is captured by one of the 2 rotating playback heads (situated 180degrees apart on the head-drum/wheel assembly), all while the tape is travelling past, the path captured is a series of disconnected diagonal streaks. The head switching noise is where one streak ends and the next streak begins and the noise is because of the imperfect matchup of the 2 signals - the less perfect the matchup, the greater the switch noise.
    High-quality pro tape formats such as 1"C or BetacamSP have very little (maybe a line or 2, or possibly less than a whole line), VHS & Betamax (especially copies of copies, and of LP or SLP/EP speed) have much more (8-10, maybe 20-30 lines).

Digital tapes (including DV and D8) HAVE head switching noise, but the noise is almost always fully corrected/removed by EDC/ECC methods and made invisible before it ever gets to you.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 19th Feb 2015 at 11:18.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. Learned something new.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!