VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all!

I normally like to use VirtualDub (or VirtualDubMod) to get my screencaps for menus, but I've noticed that there are some widescreen/16x9 VOBs that it cannot display with the correct aspect ration (it "squishes" them into 4x3). In those cases I have resorted to using VLC. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get nice frame accuracy with VLC.

Anyone have any good ideas for alternatives?

Thanks much!

(Has to work for both NTSC and PAL)

Oh, and I don't want something like SnagIt, or other "screen capture" tools - I want a straight image from the video, not the display.
    Quote Quote  
  2. try this re-size factor since it should work for you. All of my media/dvd PC players snap with a square and I just resize using the formula below and it fixes the picture aspect ratio

Media players save images as though the picture used square pixels. As DVDs don't, you need to open the saved image and resize it correctly. I use Irfanview. From it's Image/Resize-Resample menu....

If it's a 16:9 NTSC DVD change the width and height to either 854x480 or 720x405. If it's a 4:3 NTSC DVD change it to either 640x480 or 720x540 (make sure the "keep aspect ratio" box is unchecked when you use Irfanview's resize function).

For PAL 16:9 it's 1024x576 or 720x405, for PAL 4:3 768x576 or 720x540.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    try this re-size factor since it should work for you. All of my media/dvd PC players snap with a square and I just resize using the formula below and it fixes the picture aspect ratio

Media players save images as though the picture used square pixels. As DVDs don't, you need to open the saved image and resize it correctly. I use Irfanview. From it's Image/Resize-Resample menu....

If it's a 16:9 NTSC DVD change the width and height to either 854x480 or 720x405. If it's a 4:3 NTSC DVD change it to either 640x480 or 720x540 (make sure the "keep aspect ratio" box is unchecked when you use Irfanview's resize function).

I tried IV but didn't really like the functionality of *this* specific application (I LOVE IV otherwise - I do all my other capturing/cropping with it, but not video).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Apply the resize filter in VirtualDubMod then select Video -> Snapshot Output Frame. Or in VirtualDub you can apply the resize filter and use Video -> Copy Output Frame To Clipboard. Then paste the image into the image editor of choice.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by DeathStalker77 View Post
    Originally Posted by mazinz View Post
    try this re-size factor since it should work for you. All of my media/dvd PC players snap with a square and I just resize using the formula below and it fixes the picture aspect ratio

I tried IV but didn't really like the functionality of *this* specific application (I LOVE IV otherwise - I do all my other capturing/cropping with it, but not video).
    Ahh I use photoshop myself for the resize, but if not this, then try it via the method Jagabo listed
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Apply the resize filter in VirtualDubMod then select Video -> Snapshot Output Frame. Or in VirtualDub you can apply the resize filter and use Video -> Copy Output Frame To Clipboard. Then paste the image into the image editor of choice.
    That requires you to know what the size is - for example, the VOB indicates 720x576 - the PNG capture from VLC indicates (in IrfanView) 1024x576.

It should *not* be this complicated - normal video are a snap in VD - why is there such an issue with *some* widescreen?

Makes no sense.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by DeathStalker77 View Post
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Apply the resize filter in VirtualDubMod then select Video -> Snapshot Output Frame. Or in VirtualDub you can apply the resize filter and use Video -> Copy Output Frame To Clipboard. Then paste the image into the image editor of choice.
    That requires you to know what the size is - for example, the VOB indicates 720x576 - the PNG capture from VLC indicates (in IrfanView) 1024x576.

It should *not* be this complicated - normal video are a snap in VD - why is there such an issue with *some* widescreen?

Makes no sense.

here, even though you do not like it, try it anyway

open infraview, now import your picture. Once it is loaded click the "image" tab on the top. Then click the "resize/resample". Now when that new box opens uncheck the "preserve aspect ratio" box which you will see towards the bottom of the box. Once you do that, click on the "set new size" and under that make sure it is set to "pixel. Then using the formula I listed in my previous post, set the image size and then save it
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't need a re-size/re-sample, I just need a *simple* screen cap of it - NOTHING is more simple than VD - period. I would liek to know why VD has an issue with these VOB files, and why there isn't another program out there that can do the same thing SIMPLY?!

This isn't rocket-science, people. Should *not* have to jump through hoops for it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DeathStalker77 View Post
    That requires you to know what the size is
    DVD only comes in two display aspect ratios: 4:3 or 16:9. So resize to a 4:3 or 16:9 frame size, whichever is correct for your source. Mazinz gave you some examples in post #2.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by DeathStalker77 View Post
    I don't need a re-size/re-sample, I just need a *simple* screen cap of it - NOTHING is more simple than VD - period. I would liek to know why VD has an issue with these VOB files, and why there isn't another program out there that can do the same thing SIMPLY?!

This isn't rocket-science, people. Should *not* have to jump through hoops for it.
    becasue of this:
    Media players save images as though the picture used square pixels. As DVDs don't, you need to open the saved image and resize it correctly
    or use a screen capture software while whatever frame you want is loaded into virtual dub. The resize steps I mentioned take less than 20 seconds. I have been going down that same avenue as you have been for years and in the end it was just much easier and quicker to properly resize the snap shot than fighting with software and filters to do it correctly
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How much more clear can I make it? I am NOT trying to resize!!! I simply want a STRAIGHT SCREENGRAB - that simple! Nothing more!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by DeathStalker77 View Post
    How much more clear can I make it? I am NOT trying to resize!!! I simply want a STRAIGHT SCREENGRAB - that simple! Nothing more!
    And you are not listening to the reasons WHY YOUR SOFTWARE IS NOT grabbing it properly for you. I have NEVER come across any software that ever did that correctly, not virtualdub, not vegas, not womble, not mpc, not VLC not powerdvd and the list goes on. Perhaps it is just my pc (though that would then mean it spread from win 98 to win 7) A lot of the issue has to do with settings and overlays- so to do specific frame grabs and have it the proper size snapshot, unless you find software gold, you have to resize the final shot afterwards to keep the proper aspect ratio it should be in

as I said, I have been down the same road as you and in the end I had to resort to resizing
    Last edited by mazinz; 14th Feb 2015 at 20:49.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    With all due respect, I *never* have to resize when capturing from VLC - it's just a pain that I can't get it frame-specific (unless there is an option to do frame-by-frame advance/reverse in VLC that I don't know about.

I'm sorry, but I feel that while your method might work for you, it is WAY more complex than it *needs* to be.

And no one has yet explained WHY the aforementioned software does not display things correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DeathStalker77 View Post
    You don't seem to understand that the video in VOB files does not have a 4:3 or 16:9 frame size. It's always 3:2 (NTSC 720x480) or 5:4 (PAL 720x576). That's what VirtualDub and VirtualDubMod give you if you don't apply a resize filter. If you want a 4:3 or 16:9 image you have to resize.
    Quote Quote  
  15. In VLC, push the "e" key to frame advance. You can "remap" the keys in the preferences
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    In VLC, push the "e" key to frame advance. You can "remap" the keys in the preferences
    You are a LIFESAVER, my friend! THAT is precisely the sort of answer I was looking for!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!