VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I've captured a few streams from my Slingbox, one of them has some sort of interlacing I can't figure out.

MediaInfo says it uses MBAFF interlacing:
    Code:
    Video
    ID                                       : 1
    Format                                   : AVC
    Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                           : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames                : 2 frames
    Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration                                 : 21mn 20s
    Bit rate                                 : 3 912 Kbps
    Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
    Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio                     : 16:10
    Original display aspect ratio            : 16:9
    Frame rate mode                          : Constant
    Frame rate                               : 25.000 fps
    Color space                              : YUV
    Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                                : 8 bits
    Scan type                                : MBAFF
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.075
    Stream size                              : 597 MiB (89%)
    Default                                  : Yes
    Forced                                   : No
    I tried two AviSynth scripts, but they both don't get me what I want. Script 1 results in smooth edges but blended frames during motion. Script 2 has no blended frames but also no smooth edges. The motion is not perfect either. I would get the same result as Script 2 if I use QTGMC +SelectEven instead of TFM. Using another resizer (e.g. Spline64Resize) doesn't help.

Script 1:
    Code:
    LoadCplugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\masktools2-25.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\dgmpgdec158\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\decomb\Decomb.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\BlendBob.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\LeakKernelDeint.dll")
    Import("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\QTGMC-3.32.avsi")
    DirectShowSource("C:\recording\stream.mkv")
    ConvertToYV12()
    QTGMC( Preset="Slower" )
    BlendBob(show=false,badFrames=0)
    Crop(84,0,-82,-2)
    LanczosResize(1052,720)
    Script 2:
    Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\dgmpgdec158\DGDecode.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\BlendBob.dll")
    DirectShowSource("C:\recording\stream.mkv")
    ConvertToYV12()
    TFM()
    Crop(84,0,-82,-2)
    LanczosResize(1052,720)
    The results in VLC:

Source:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Source.png
Views:	295
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	30227
    Script 1:

Name:	1 Script 1.png
Views:	293
Size:	859.7 KB
ID:	30226
    Script 2:

Name:	1 Script 2.png
Views:	279
Size:	880.8 KB
ID:	30225

Source:

Name:	2 Source.png
Views:	295
Size:	1.99 MB
ID:	30229
    Script 1:

Name:	2 Script 1.png
Views:	214
Size:	858.6 KB
ID:	30228
    Script 2:

Name:	2 Script 2.png
Views:	229
Size:	835.7 KB
ID:	30224

Anyone with any help or tips on how to handle this?

Bonus question: Can I add something to my x264.exe line to later cut on frames instead of keyframes?
    Code:
    x264.exe --profile high --preset slower --crf 18 --output output.mkv script.avs
    Quote Quote  
  2. You should post an unprocessed sample of the source

Originally Posted by pub View Post
    Bonus question: Can I add something to my x264.exe line to later cut on frames instead of keyframes?
    Code:
    x264.exe --profile high --preset slower --crf 18 --output output.mkv script.avs
    You should cut and do the edits in the avs script instead of after encoding

You can add --keyint 1 for intra encoding - which will allow splitting afterwards with frame accuracy - but compression will be severely impaired. (You will need much larger filesize for similar quality)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Since the output of DirectShowSource() is interlaced you need to convert to YV12 in interlaced mode: ConvertToYV12(interalced=true). But why isn't the output of DirectShowSource() YV12? There may be a problem there.

TFM() sometimes make mistakes, try using TFM(mode=0, pp=0). See if that helps. Also, be sure the field order is correct before TFM() with AssumeTFF() or AssumeBFF().

For more definitive help you'll need to upload a sample of your source.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Script 1 results in smooth edges but blended frames during motion.
    Script 1 has blendbob() after QTGMC(). That's why the 1st series of screenshots if blended with script 1 . Use SelectEven() or SelectOdd() instead

Since you 're cropping left 84, right 82, You can speed up the script by doing a horizontal crop (by mod4) before QTGMC. Add the finishing vertical and horizontal crop after . This is assuming QTGMC or any bobber is even needed in the first place. "PAL area" broadcasts with progressive content are often encoded MBAFF , PAFF or "interlaced." It 's unclear how you took the screenshots - for example VLC can be set to "blend". So the blend in the "source" in the 2nd set of screenshots might or might not actually be there. It's entirely possible you might have to deblend the source with another approach like srestore(). This is why an actual video sample is preferred
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 13th Feb 2015 at 13:46.
    Quote Quote  
  5. And if this is a film source you want to decimate back to 23.976 fps. Call TDecimate() after TFM().
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You HAVE to cut on key-frames or else re-encode, there's no way around that.

However, you can use the qpfile option to deliberately place keyframes where ever you think you may like to cut it.

I have my files in mkvs so I add a series of chapters at all the points where I need key frames to be, then before encoding my batch files will find the source file, extract the chapters using MKVExtract then convert the chapter time codes to frame numbers and build a QPFile from them to feed to x264.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've attached a 10 second clip cut from the source (first batch of screenshots). I took the screenshots with VLC without any deinterlacer on

I don't mind cutting it in the AVS script, I need to get rid of the first ~5 seconds and the last ~4 seconds

Really appreciate the quick reactions.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oooooo. This is a problem, if I run the thing through TFM with deinterlacing turned off it still kind of looks interlaced, despite the fact that the frames match, so it obviously shouldn't look interlaced.

That's why the lines look so bad, they're there in the source, but the deinterlacing is deleting them.

-Edit- it was upscaled from SD in interlaced mode, so each interlaced line is actually half a line from the original SD source.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 13th Feb 2015 at 14:52.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This doesn't completely fix it but you get the idea:

Code:
    FFVideoSource("D:\Ins\source\Video 1.h264")
    SeparateFields()
    NNEDI3_Resize16(720, 240)
    Weave()
    TFM()
    NNEDI3_Resize16(1280, 720)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    This doesn't completely fix it but you get the idea:

Code:
    SeparateFields()
    NNEDI3_Resize16(720, 240)
    Weave()
    TFM()
    NNEDI3_Resize16(1280, 720)
    I get this:
    Code:
    avs [error]: Script error: there is no function named "Dither_convert_8_to_16"
    EDIT: This after installing the Dither package:
    Code:
    avs [error]: Script error: there is no function named "UToY8"
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That would be NNEDI3_Resize16, you can use any resizer you like. (I just never use anything else.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    That would be NNEDI3_Resize16, you can use any resizer you like. (I just never use anything else.)
    It looks like my script 2, but with a lower resolution and the edges are a bit smoother.

What should I change to crop it and change it into 16:10? Using this?
    Code:
    Crop(84,0,-82,-2)
    SeparateFields()
    Spline64Resize(1078, 360)
    Weave()
    TFM()
    Spline64Resize(1576, 886)
    And isn't there any way to get a higher resolution with the smooth edges that doesn't require me breaking into Marathon or Nickelodeon?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It IS your script 2 with lower resolution and better edges. It was originally upscaled to 1080i from 480i (or from 576i, or possibly 480i to 576i to 1080i) in interlaced mode, if you can picture what that would entail you'll realise why the lines are so screwed. The easiest way to rectify that is to resize it back down to SD and THEN deinterlace it and THEN resize it up again. But upscaling and then downscaling, then upsizing again IS going to lose resolution, especially since two of those resizes were done while interlaced AND the deinterlacing process itself effectively halves the resolution. There might be better ways of going about it that may result in a better picture, but it's still proof of concept and gives you an idea of what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, maybe dup in blend mode would work better than BlendBob. Assuming it was ever implemented.

Or maybe one of the decimator functions has a blend mode...
    Quote Quote  
  15. What a screwed up video. So far the best thing I've found for most of the clip is:

Code:
    BilinearResize(720, 480)
    Sharpen(0.3)
    nnedi3_rpow2(4, cshift="Spline36Resize", fwidth=1920, fheight=1080)
    and minor variations. But it falls apart in some sections -- like 7 seconds into the video where you start seeing blending.

I also tried something similar to what you guys did but including a downward shift of one of the fields:

Code:
    Bob()
    e=SelectEven()
    o=SelectOdd().Crop(0,0,-0,-2).AddBorders(0,2,0,0)
    Interleave(e,o)
    BicubicResize(720,240)
    AssumeFieldBased()
    Weave()
    TFM()
    # then upscale
    I think by varying the height of the BicubicResize() one might be able to clear up the doubled horizontal lines.

One thing I might note is that the opening credits are often different than the body of the video. So the body might be simpler. Or different.
    Quote Quote  
  16. EDIT: nevermind. Grr. bad source

I was going to suggest a simple

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(80,0,-78,0,true)
    tfm(pp=0)
    spline36resize(768,480)
    Perhaps follow up with QTGMC in progressive mode (inputtype=1 or 2). But some of the credits remain blended
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not natively 25FPS I'm not entirely sure what the frame rate is, 24/1.001 didn't work. 30? 24? It could be anything... does anyone want to waste their time figuring it out?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post
    It looks like my script 2, but with a lower resolution and the edges are a bit smoother.

Code:
    Crop(84,0,-82,-2)
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    TFM()
    And isn't there any way to get a higher resolution with the smooth edges that doesn't require me breaking into Marathon or Nickelodeon?
    I think this is what you needed:

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1Bt2fY#path=%252FAviSynth%2520Plugins

You downscaled it to 720i then upscaled it to 1080p???

And that's 16:9. There wasn't much point in downscaling horizontally anyway, it's just that the original source would have been 720 wide so that's what I did.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by ndjamena View Post

Code:
    Crop(84,0,-82,-2)
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    TFM()
    I think this is what you needed:

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1Bt2fY#path=%252FAviSynth%2520Plugins

You downscaled it to 720i then upscaled it to 1080p???

And that's 16:9. There wasn't much point in downscaling horizontally anyway, it's just that the original source would have been 720 wide so that's what I did.
    I'm not sure if I understand you or if I asked wrong, but this is what I would like to do besides the deinterlacing/smoother/etc:
    Crop the black bars (L: 84, R: 82, B: 2)
    Unstretch the image (1754 to 1576, but I can also add flags for that. I've compared it to DVD rips of Season 3 (4-6 are not on DVD) and it should look 1578x1080/1052x720/748x512.

Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    EDIT: nevermind. Grr. bad source

I was going to suggest a simple

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(80,0,-78,0,true)
    tfm(pp=0)
    spline36resize(768,480)
    Perhaps follow up with QTGMC in progressive mode (inputtype=1 or 2). But some of the credits remain blended
    In the Season 3 DVD and in other sources, they're blended as well when deinterlaced, so I think that's normal (the Producers/Art Director/etc text)

I'm going to test a few things mentioned here, see if any of them produce a good result, thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Here's my latest attempt:

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    Crop(80,0,-80,-0) # 1760x1080
    SeparateFields()
    PointResize(720,258) # cleanest height I could get
    Weave()
    QTGMC() # titles are animated 50 fields per second, cleans up some of the edges
    Spline36Resize(720,288) # more edge cleanup
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=720, fheight=496) # used compass in frame 219 for AR
    If you don't care about the smoothness of the titles you can drop down to 25 fps. I made no attempt at general noise reduction, levels/colors adjustments, etc. assuming you could deal with that.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Normal? Generally "blending" is caused by frame rate conversions or bad processing. It's generally the goal on these forums to UNDO blending whenever possible. I've been trying to figure out what the country of origin is so we can have some idea of what the target frame rate should be, but it's a French/Canadian production so it could be anything. There's actually no blending at all in the sample you provided, and generally the frames exist in pairs for large stretches, but every now and then you'll get frames in three's and some of these three are too close together to make any actual sense from an original frame rate perspective.

Fields 338, 339 and 340 then 347, 348 and 349 are an example, that may be caused by a scene cut. There's even a section where each field is unique (the moving text). Still it's unpredictable and that makes it difficult to work with, add to that the fact that the state of source is so bad decimate functions don't work properly and fixing it properly (to our standards) would require some extensive scripting.

272, 273, 274 -- 281, 282, 283... and yet there are no single frames to go with them, unless 274 and 283 cancel each other out, but why would that be?
    Quote Quote  
  22. You could probably mix & match and put in some manual work to fix the intro. If it's the same intro for each season, it wouldn't be a lot of work. But what does the actual episode look like ?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Code:
    qtgmc()
    DUP(copy=true, blend=true, threshold=15)
    Crop(84,0,-82,-2)
    NNEDI3_Resize16(1052,720)
    Why didn't I listen to me?

And 1052 is 3:2, which is the NTSC aspect ratio before anamorphic is applied... 16:10? You do know about non-square (anamorphic) pixels don't you?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Here's my latest attempt:

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    nnedi3_rpow2(2, cshift="Spline64Resize", fwidth=720, fheight=496) # used compass in frame 219 for AR
    If you don't care about the smoothness of the titles you can drop down to 25 fps. I made no attempt at general noise reduction, levels/colors adjustments, etc. assuming you could deal with that.
    Thanks! I'll try it for the entire episode, see if it looks as good as the 10sec clip.

Code:
    qtgmc()
    DUP(copy=true, blend=true, threshold=15)
    Crop(84,0,-82,-2)
    NNEDI3_Resize16(1052,720)
    Why didn't I listen to me?

And 1052 is 3:2, which is the NTSC aspect ratio before anamorphic is applied... 16:10? You do know about non-square (anamorphic) pixels don't you?
    Sorry, I meant 16:10 flags before the cropping (1920x1080 with 16:10 flags for a unstretched image), but I'll try that script

I've attached a few samples I could find. I didn't encode them, except for the 25 DVD x264 (spedup version of 23.976 DVD x264.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Here's my latest attempt:

Code:
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    I've attached a clip from the output (outputclip.mkv) and the source of that output (slingbox2.mkv). It seems like there is some ghosting in the credits (I can live with that). But this also happend:

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-02-14-21h29m44s85.png
Views:	495
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	30261

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-02-14-21h18m08s30.png
Views:	456
Size:	530.4 KB
ID:	30262

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-02-14-21h17m35s52.png
Views:	514
Size:	624.3 KB
ID:	30263

Is this also ghosting, bad chroma, or has it to do with the missing noise reductions/level/colors adjustments?

I've also attached slingbox3.mkv, a clip with interlacing not taken from the intro. After encoding (new3.mkv) it has some ghosting(?) and during movement, the edges of the hair are not very smooth.

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-02-14-21h50m07s40.png
Views:	628
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	30267

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-02-14-21h50m02s238.png
Views:	558
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	30268
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  26. I downloaded slingbox2.mkv and slingbox3.mkv and applied my script. I saw no artifacts like that at all, including all five of the frames you pictured. It looks like source decoding errors to me. What source filter are you using? I'm using ffVideoSource, from the ffmpeg source plugin:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("slingbox2.mkv")
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I downloaded slingbox2.mkv and slingbox3.mkv and applied my script. I saw no artifacts like that at all, including all five of the frames you pictured. It looks like source decoding errors to me. What source filter are you using? I'm using ffVideoSource, from the ffmpeg source plugin:

Code:
    ffVideoSource("slingbox2.mkv")
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    That worked, I used DirectShowSource before. The edges look perfect, but sometimes the eye color looks watered down (or whatever the proper term is).

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-02-15-21h36m57s74.png
Views:	517
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	30297

Should I use Tweak() to change the brightness? At least if that's what's wrong with the color comparing to another source (the 25 HDTV x264.mkv):

Name:	vlcsnap-2015-02-15-21h36m31s69.png
Views:	461
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	30296

For cutting the first few and last seconds in the script: How do I get the right framenumbers?
    And are these lines right? *frame* is to be replaced with the framenumber
    Code:
    Trim(0,*frame*,false) # cuts first ~5 seconds
    Trim(*frame*,*last frame*,false) # cuts final ~4 seconds
    Quote Quote  
  28. Since you are converting from HD to SD (or are you going to scale back up to HD?) you should convert the colors from rec.709 to rec.601. The best way to do that is with:
    Code:
    ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601")
    Trim() keeps the section you specify. So to get rid of of the first few seconds and last few seconds you only need one trim:
    Code:
    Trim(first_frame_to_keep, last_frame_to_keep)
    You'll probably want to determine the exact frames at which to mark-in and mark-out (open the script in an editor like VirtualDub to dected what frame numbers you need). But if "4 seconds" is accurate enough you can automate it:
    Code:
    Trim(4*framerate, framecount-(4*framerate))
    Brightness and colors are somewhat subjective unless you have a source with known good level/colors to compare. You can use Tweak(), ColorYUV(), Levels(), etc. to adjust them to your liking. The brights are clipped and stuck at a fairly low level. The darks are a little on the high side. The colors need to be shifted up by a few lines with ChromaShift(l=-2). Sharpening colors will help too. Try something like this after earlier script:

Code:
    ColorMatrix(mode="rec.709->rec.601") # HD to SD color
    ColorYUV(gain_y=50, off_y=-10) # more contrast, a little darker
    MergeChroma(last, aWarpSharp(depth=20)) # sharpen colors
    ChromaShift(l=-2) # shift colors up two scan lines
    Trim(int(4*framerate), int(framecount-1-(4*framerate))) # remove first and last 4 seconds

Name:	adjusted.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	30308

That does leave some illegal colors in a few shots, especially in dark areas. Some more tweaking should help.
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Feb 2015 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Dup.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ffms2.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ColorMatrix.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\AWarpSharp.dll")
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ChromaShift.dll")
    ffVideoSource("slingbox.mkv")
    AssumeTFF()
    SeparateFields()
    Weave()
    SelectEven() # back to 25fps
    ColorMatrix(mode="rec.709->rec.601") # HD to SD color
    ColorYUV(gain_y=50, off_y=-10) # more contrast, a little darker
    MergeChroma(last, aWarpSharp(depth=20)) # sharpen colors
    ChromaShift(l=-2) # shift colors up two scan lines
    Trim(2970, 34623)
    This ends in a framerate of 24.917 (3563/143) instead of 25. Is that normal, should I replace SelectEven or remove a few more frames?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's probably FFVideoSource, try adding AssumeFPS(25) and see if the end result syncs up.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!