VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So, I am looking into purchasing an external hard drive to extend my DVR storage and it sounds like the DVR will format the hard drive for its use. I wanted to know if I could partition the drive so that I could use the external hard drive for the encrypted DVR recordings AND for what ever else I wanted to store. I'm using Dish Network.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/compare/ThemeID.21986300/parentCatego...s/DVR_Expander this will add more space to your dvr. Just choose dish network from the list.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I was thinking about going with Seagate cause they're a whole lot less expensive and I think they're still a good brand. But I was wondering about how the DVR encryption formatting would work with the external hard drive. Cause it'd be cool to be able to use it for more than just DVR recordings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Wizard23 View Post
    http://store.westerndigital.com/store/wdus/en_US/compare/ThemeID.21986300/parentCatego...s/DVR_Expander this will add more space to your dvr. Just choose dish network from the list.
    That is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. WD is preying on stupid people.
    As long as the cable box information is still on the HDD (info planted on the HDD as soon as you attach it to the cable box OR make a recording to it), you can do whatever you want with the HDD in the meantime. No need for a special or dedicated HDD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Exoplanetary View Post
    I was thinking about going with Seagate cause they're a whole lot less expensive and I think they're still a good brand. But I was wondering about how the DVR encryption formatting would work with the external hard drive. Cause it'd be cool to be able to use it for more than just DVR recordings.
    Both Western Digital and Seagate make DVR expander drives that DISH network recommends for use with their DVRs.

Dish network says this.
    While most major manufacturers' external hard drives are compatible, keep in mind the following guidelines when purchasing an external hard drive:
    • When using an external hard drive with a ViP 612, 622, 722, 722k, 922, or Hopper, the drive should be no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
    • When using an external hard drive with a ViP 211, 211k, 211z or DISH 411, the drive should be no smaller than 50 GB and no larger than 2 TB
    • The external hard drive must have its own power supply
    • The external hard drive must support USB 2.0
    • The external hard drive must not use flash memory and should only be a single-hard disk drive
    Don't try to use the drive for other purposes in addition to using it as an expander. You will loose your DVR recordings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM

Don't try to use the drive for other purposes in addition to using it as an expander. You will loose your DVR recordings.
    Oh.. Damn. I was hoping you could just partition the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Exoplanetary View Post

Oh.. Damn. I was hoping you could just partition the drive.
    I don't think it is worth the risk. See http://www.apricorn.com/product-support/dvr-expansion/apricorn-dvr-expander-for-dish.html It looks like a Dish DVR will reformat the drive if it was previously formatted for a PC, and a PC will ask to format the drive if it was previously formatted by a Dish DVR.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!