VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What's your favorite screen shape?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    What's your favorite screen shape?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Round.

But I prefer Ultrawide at the cinemas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends. For computer and laptop screens I prefer anything over 16:9. I think 16:10, 4:3 and even the whacky 5:4 are all better for computer usage than 16:9 because of it's limited vertical space and the (to me) useless excess horizontal space. That being said all new computer screens and laptops are 16:9 for some reason I do not understand, I mean 16:10 was clearly superior?! Who would not prefer to have 1920x1200 over 1920x1080?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Apparently the 16:9 thing simply came down to cost, which is why nobody (as far as I know) makes 16:10 monitors any more.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:10#Industry_moves_towards_16:9_from_2008

I'm still using a 4:3 CRT monitor, and I've a couple of spares in the shed to keep me going for a few years yet.
    16:9 is just not a fun aspect ratio for a PC monitor, although wouldn't most of them have the ability to do this these days, or is it not that common?

Name:  cnet_u2312hm_Feature-03_300.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  13.1 KB
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's nice to know there are still a few other people in the world who like 4:3 CRT screens just like me. While I'm typing this, I'm sitting in front of a 19" Trinitron CRT at 1024x768 @ 100 Hz.
    A 22" LCD at 1080p would have way too small font size for my liking (my eyesight is fine) and I don't want a screen larger than that. With CRTs you can throw any res at them and they display it natively without scaling. Very good for FPS games also (I play a lot of FPS) – great advantage over 60 Hz LCDs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Round.
    Something like this?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DuMontRA-103FirstPicture.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	30197
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Skiller View Post
    It's nice to know there are still a few other people in the world who like 4:3 CRT screens just like me. While I'm typing this, I'm sitting in front of a 19" Trinitron CRT at 1024x768 @ 100 Hz.
    A 22" LCD at 1080p would have way too small font size for my liking (my eyesight is fine) and I don't want a screen larger than that. With CRTs you can throw any res at them and they display it natively without scaling. Very good for FPS games also (I play a lot of FPS) – great advantage over 60 Hz LCDs.
    Yep, they have to be Trinitrons. Although weren't there similar tubes at one stage? Diamondtron sounds familiar. I also have a few Samsung 21" monitors but they're not as nice as the Trinitrons. I seemed to accumulate them years ago when everyone was replacing perfectly good CRTs with crappy looking LCDs. The Trinitrons still cost a bit at the time, but the Samsung monitors cost me virtually nothing.

22" inch at 1024x768 @ 85Hz for me. I can't remember why I settled on 85Hz. I'm sure it supports higher refresh rates. Maybe not at that particular resolution, or maybe I didn't like it as much. I can't remember.
    I bought a 19" Trinitron for my other half years ago but she barely used it. I think it was a Compaq. And if memory serves me correctly it looked a little sharper than my 22". I'll have to steal it back at some stage.

The number one advantage of CRTs for me is the lack of a need for Cleartype. I hate it.

I'm in a smaller place now but a couple of years ago I was living in a house with plenty of room, so I had some fun. I had friends tell me it looked like a NASA control room from the 60's, but the LCD lovers still had to admit the Trinitrons have a very nice picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Computers.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	30198
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Well I guess I have no idea what I'm talking about.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Man, that's a lot of real estate & heat generation going on there!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search PM
    This I think this is currently the best shaped QHD monitor screen for video and image editing, it is also great for watching movies, it is just waiting till a wide gamut version comes along to make it perfect:

Ultrawide is better because obviously your vision is much wider horizontally than vertically.

Same with 4k with an ultra wide screen you can view much closer because of that.

Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    your vision is much wider horizontally than vertically.
    Not not by a factor of 2.4:1.
    Last edited by jagabo; 12th Feb 2015 at 09:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I bet the pillarboxing of 4:3 material on that would drive some folks crazy!

Human vision is wider than tall (each eye sees ~180degrees H x ~135degrees V, both see ~230-265degrees H, binocular vision is only ~120degrees), but that includes peripheral vision & eye rotation, so a good accommodation for most people works out to 170degrees x 120degrees (or if you want to just use the "core" central 2/3 FOV = 114 x 80), which is a ~1.42:1 AR. Not even standard widescreen.

An ultrawide screen might make more sense if it were curved (and expected only ultrawide titles on it, and wanted to make use of your peripheral vision), but then you have issues with sweet spot seating.

For those reasons, I expect it will only ever have niche value. Far from "perfect".

BTW, do you OWN one of those, or are you just posturing hypotheticals?

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 12th Feb 2015 at 09:53.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    BTW, do you OWN one of those, or are you just posturing hypotheticals?
    Not yet as this monitor is not wide gamut.

I have a wide gamut 27 QHD and next to it a wide 22 HD.

An ultrawide 32 QHD wide gamut would be perfect to me.

A 32 wide simply becomes too high for me to be useful.

Quote Quote  
  14. Whatever the director has chosen to compose a particular film, basically. Any visual stylist worth his salt should be able to choose what's necessary for the story. Though I have a soft spot for scope, it feels super-cinematic to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
    Whatever the director has chosen to compose a particular film, basically. Any visual stylist worth his salt should be able to choose what's necessary for the story. Though I have a soft spot for scope, it feels super-cinematic to me.
    Methinks you found the wrong topic
    Quote Quote  
  16. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech View Post
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Round.
    Something like this?
    Or maybe something like this
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sphere-projector-1.png
Views:	399
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	30237  

Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I kinda like this better...

Name:  GoofyPaisleyTV.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  30.5 KB

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My 16:10 just died, so I'm using a 5:4 for testing.

The bigger issue is IPS (excellent) vs, non-IPS (crap).
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053YKE72/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=39...7DUOO7MNTZVIKF
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search PM
    Philips just announced an ultrawide:

http://www.eteknix.com/philips-announced-new-34-inch-219-ultrawide-monitor/

Samsung, LG and now Philips as well.
    Last edited by newpball; 24th Feb 2015 at 16:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You left the bezier selection on. Dead giveaway that's not a real TV. I almost fell for it.

Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search PM
    The ultimate ultrawide (for the time being):

10K of delight!

Be honest, who would not want to edit or watch Hamlet or Baraka on this one?

Last edited by newpball; 14th Jun 2015 at 12:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Around Christmas I bought an EIZO 21" 4-3 monitor when my (12 yr old) Microtek 19" died. I recently bought a 27" Samsung ws & have 'em side-by-side.

I'm using the EIZO right now.

-c-

(the Samsung screen is only about a 1/2" taller than the EIZO)
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!