VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have both the Elgato Game Capture HD and HD 60 devices. Has anyone found a good way to handle the way they split files into 3.90 GB chunks? I know Open Broadcaster will capture a single MP4, but the video looks very washed out compared to the Game Capture HD software.

I just want to take the TS files, edit them with Premiere, then encode, except there is a noticeable blip between the files Elgato creates. I tried joining them with VideoReDo and Video to Video, but got audio sync issues and various other errors. I don't want to use the Elgato software to export and reencode the video before I edit it, plus most of my sources are interlaced and the software will only export progressive now. Any ideas how I can deal with the 4 GB pieces or get Open Broadcaster to create the same nice looking video?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you aren't capturing/saving to a fat32 hdd/partition? It has a 4gb limit.

No support from elgato?

Or try https://www.videohelp.com/tools/Mirillis-Action
    Quote Quote  
  3. Using NTFS hard drive. Elgato said there's no way to change it then claimed every capture device/software does the same thing, which is obviously not true. The software you linked to looks like a screen recorder. I'm looking for some way to record the output from an external device using Elgato Game Capture HD.
    Last edited by Dorian; 9th Feb 2015 at 07:33.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well you can try few things. First, you should be able to successfully join files that elgato creates because they use closed gop. However thanks to a kind member from here who sent me some elgato samples a while ago it seems that elgato files always start with two b frames instead of IDR frames. So to be sure that is not the case in VRD go to View and enable "display on screen information". With that enabled you can see current type of frame. If it starts with one or two B frames you need to delete them so that you can join your parts properly.

Maybe you can also try to concatenate both files because it seems that Elgato used the same simple method to split those files, it just cut the file when it reached 3.90 GB limit without regard for IDR frame.

As for audio sync, fix all parts with Quickstream fix option first in VRD, than join them. If VRD shows some errors at the end of QSF that's ok, your TS had some errors and VRD fixed them. This is normal, even hw encoders from these capture cards can make TS files with small glitches and errors. There is also option to adjust audio for up to 1000 ms but I never used it on my files.

You can also use mkvmerge if you are not interested in using Videoredo and its quickstream fix option. There is also delay option for audio adjustment in mkvmerge.

Try some of these suggestions and let us know what's going on. In my opinion this is fixable without re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    I have both the Elgato Game Capture HD and HD 60 devices. Has anyone found a good way to handle the way they split files into 3.90 GB chunks? I know Open Broadcaster will capture a single MP4, but the video looks very washed out compared to the Game Capture HD software.

I just want to take the TS files, edit them with Premiere, then encode, except there is a noticeable blip between the files Elgato creates. I tried joining them with VideoReDo and Video to Video, but got audio sync issues and various other errors. I don't want to use the Elgato software to export and reencode the video before I edit it, plus most of my sources are interlaced and the software will only export progressive now. Any ideas how I can deal with the 4 GB pieces or get Open Broadcaster to create the same nice looking video?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    Elgato software is designed to split the files that way, Theirs no way around it.

Their shouldn't be any kind of "blip". Ignore the audio sync issue for now and join them in videoredo and see if your see any "blips" in the video feed. Make sure your drivers are up to date for your GPU.

I checked in the past to make sure their was no delay going from one video file to another. Over a dozen different sources and their wasn't a single issue. I just Re-checked with one my latest recordings and everything is perfect, no blip/delay.

As for VRD. If your using VideoRedo V5 their shouldn't be any issues. You do have to make a change in the settings for the bitrate if the source is 1080P/i and your using the max bitrate.

I would also E-Mail Elgato, They are usually good at figure out the issues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I finally found some time today to try videoredo and it worked great. Some of the files made it crash, but I think that was Elgato's fault because they wouldn't play at all. badu17 was right the TS files started with two B frames. I didn't have to delete them though. I just selected all of the files at the same time, ran Quickstream fix and it combined them into one functioning TS file. There were a couple videos that I had to run each file individually through Quckstream fix to get it to work.

Revan654, the blip was when I tried to just import the files into Premiere without joining them first. There was a quick static kind of sound and the video jarred slightly. I couldn't think of a better term to describe it. And I did try e-mailing Elgato. They told me to only export with their software, but it doesn't let you export interlaced video anymore.

Thanks for your help everyone!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Use TS Splitter to combine the files together.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!