VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings, I know they may be many threads like this already posted, however I though convenient to package what I read so far to put this thread into a specific context.

First, it is about ripping interlaced DVD's into H264 with MP4 and/or MKV container; (deinterlace option activated).
    The motion results choppy ONLY in the horizontal axis; (diagonal motions result choppy in correspondency with their horizontal component).
    Only VERY slow motions don't appear to be chopy.
    It is allways used in the output the same framerate than input's, (and constant).
    I tried with average video data rates from 1500 to 3500 kbps.
    The CPU consumption during playback is low and the PC responds very well to any command.
    It is independient from playing in fullscreen or window.
    It is independient from the program I use to play them.
    I used many program for the ripping process, I got the best results with Wondershare, Pavtube DVD Aid, and of course, Handbrake.

This videos don't result extremely choppy, but very choppy compared with the videos that I downloaded from the same chapters of the same serie.
    NOTE: it is animated

Does anybody know what does it has with?

Keyframes?
    Ref-Frames?
    B-Frames?
    CABAC?

Hope not being untimely, thank you for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's probably just incorrect deinterlacing or IVTC. It might pay to upload a sample of the original video you're having problems with (ripped, but not re-encoded). A minute's worth should be plenty.

You can "rip" with MakeMKV (it rips DVD vide as MKVs) and MKVMergeGUI can split MKVs so you can use it to split off a sample.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for being five years late; in that time I decided not to give this any other importance.
    However, I found this old post and though the discussion could be useful to others, since it is about choppy motion after ripping an interlaced DVD.
    Anyway, I was in debt because of not uploading the sample that I was asked for.
    So, hope you not to get mad if I share a link to download it:

https://mega.nz/file/wcYCEaJb#ETzh8WMY_p7yPnsJ3w_0BCH8nirOextWOETc6Mp1C_c

It is a non re-encoded one minute sample.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Set Handbrake to Decomb and encode at 23.976 fps constant frame rate. x264 settings don't matter as far as motion concerned.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi, I downloaded your sample and did a couple of test conversions in XMedia Recode 3.4.9.6 Portable Version.
    Under Format (the first tab in the options I chose Matroska, file extension mkv.
    In the Video tab I kept all the options as default (MPEG-4 AVC / H.264, Japanese, Framerate Keep original, ABR, Bitrate 1500, Profile Main, Level Auto, Preset Medium - BUT I changed Tune to Animation.
    In the Audio tab I changed mode to Copy - your sample is AC3 which is OK (re-encode if you want to)
    In the filters tab I activated Deinterlace - click on the Eye symbol.
    On my first go I used libdav Deinterlace Filter & Linear Blending. On checking the converted video and stepping through frame by frame, I could see overlaps when the car was going round the corners.
    I then tried Cubic interpolation for Deinterlace and that fixed the problem, no more ghosting / overlap.
    You can obviously mess around with bitrates, sharpening etc to improve it to your liking. There are also other Deinterlace filters to try.

Steve.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so: Decomb in HandBrake or cubic interpolation for deinterlacing in XMedia Recode. I also may try using HandBrake for that, I think, I will check it now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Ivalogic View Post
    cubic interpolation for deinterlacing in XMedia Recode
    You're video is telecined film. You'll get better results with an inverse telecine (decomb plus decimation to 23.976 fps in Handbrake) than with bicubic deinterlacing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I see, If I don't reduce the FPS from 29.97 to 23.976 I will still get bad results.
    I think I will have to make a pro-cons between a better deinterlacing or keeping the original FPS.
    Quote Quote  
  9. With telecined film the original frame rate is 23.976 fps. 29.97 will be jerky because one of every four film frames will be duplicated. You'll see six little jerks per second.

And a bicubic deinterlace will create lots of aliasing artifacts because half the scan lines are missing. A proper IVTC restores the original progressive film frames.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I am encoding at 23.976 right now, will tell you the results.

EDIT - Same date - a few hours later:

You are right, the motion with 23.976 FPS look equal to the motion when watching the non re-encoded video.
    Last edited by Ivalogic; 14th May 2020 at 15:15. Reason: Avoiding double post
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!