VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I've found that my DVD recorder produces RW discs that, if read thru my computer, show up as having doubled .VOB files, and the content of the DVD reads as about twice as large as it should be. Because of this, if I try to burn the content back to a regular -R or +R disc, it won't fit.

No, removing the duplicated files doesn't help. Something goes wrong and while the R disc will burn, it won't play.

Is there any type of RW disc that will show up on the computer as having its true content, 4.7gb or less?

(The recorder can't make anamorphic widescreen discs, so I have to move the files to the computer, use IFOedit and DVDPatcher to mark the content as 16x9, and then reburn. With the RW problem, I have to start out with an R disc, so the original disc is wasted. I'd rather use RWs for the first step, but with the content being doubled, that can't be done.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Show us a screenshot from ISOBuster (or similar exacting disc utility).

Those "duplicates" may or may not be redundant. Most likely, they are using hard links or symbolic (soft) links, which use different names pointing to the same data. Can't be sure without a screenshot. ISOBuster is preferred because it lays out the details of the sectors used (plus, it is ~guaranteed to be able to correctly read the disc).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
    I've found that my DVD recorder produces RW discs that, if read thru my computer, show up as having doubled .VOB files, and the content of the DVD reads as about twice as large as it should be.
    You have a Magnavoix DVD/HDD recorder. They are notorious for their "bizarro-world, only-Funai" VR+ recording system. That file system creates DVDs that are remarkably compatible with most hardware players, but can wreak havoc when ripped to a PC for further fiddling. You need to consult with The Grand High Self-Appointed Mystic Poobah over at the Magnavox-addled AVS forum: he has some vague comments about the issue, and if you dig deep enough thru the 10.000 pages you'll find some pointers from other tech-minded Mag owners who came up with some workarounds. I gather it is easier to work around the file doubling if you burn finalized -RW or-R format instead of +RW, but its been awhile since I looked into it.

The very newest Magnavox MDR-557 model creates DVDs with the conventional file-writing strategy, so does not have doubling issues on the PC. All the earlier models (3575, 3576, 2160, 513, 515, etc) make weird-ish DVDs less amenable to PC tweaking.

The Magnavox dvd format can be annoying, but nothing is worse than the inscrutable burns made by pre-2006 JVC recorders. pgcEdit loses its mind trying to load those, never mind modify them.
    Last edited by orsetto; 6th Feb 2015 at 16:04.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. At least I've got a start...
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have 2 standalones that do the same thing. (One is a Protron, the other a Lite-On; both non-HDD.) The writing format "fools" a PC into thinking everything's there twice on the RW disc.

I just use DVDShrink in Re-author Mode and pick ONE of the TWO identical length videos on the RW, re-author to a folder on my hard drive, and then burn the results to a DVDR (+ or -).

I could skip re-authoring to the HD and just burn directly to a DVD, but I prefer the minor security of having the video first saved to the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
    I've found that my DVD recorder produces RW discs that, if read thru my computer, show up as having doubled .VOB files
    It's quite common.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!