VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to all!: I'm new to this forum although I've been learning from this wonderful site for many years now. I perfectly know that my system, that I will describe below this message, has become very old taking into cosideration the constant evolution of hardware but I'm not able to find a reason for 1080p AVC/H.264 videos playing slow with audio and video out of sync, is there some specifications for System CPUs and Graphic Cards that my system doesn't meet?. I'm asking this question because I'm sure enough it's not a codec, player or an Operating System problem. Here are my system details:

Motherboard: Intel D915PGN
    CPU: Pentium 4 670
    System Memory: 1GB DDR RAM
    Graphic Card: ZOTAC (NVidia 7100 GS, 512MB DDR2 RAM)
    Storage: 1TB Hitachi HDD
    Running Windows XP Professional With SP3 / Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bits Dual Boot
    Media players I use include: KMPlayer, SMPlayer, Media Player Classic Home Cinema

Please, I'll be grateful if you help me to solve this issue,

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Last edited by cd2xtac; 5th Feb 2015 at 19:40.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by cd2xtac View Post
    I'm not able to find a reason for 1080p AVC/H.264 videos playing slow with audio and video out of sync....
    That is the question.

Here is the answer!

For goodness sake that CPU is 9 years old! You cannot seriously expect it to handle 1080p video. The video card shows a wopping 42 on the PassMark - G3D Mark, a very simple present day GPUs shows numbers ranging in the thousands and up.

If you want to play those videos I'd say it is high time to buy a new computer.

Last edited by newpball; 5th Feb 2015 at 18:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ newpball

Thanks for your quick reply but could you please post the most important instructions from its set that must support a CPU to play these videos?, at this moment I can't afford to buy a Core i7 if my problem is solved with a cheaper CPU that meets the features I'm asking.

Again thanks if you don't have anything else to say to me, I know the question I'm asking it's for a pro or for someone that got lucky finding the answer here or somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    @ newpball

Thanks for your quick reply but could you please post the most important instructions from its set that must support a CPU to play these videos?, at this moment I can't afford to buy a Core i7 if my problem is solved with a cheaper CPU that meets the features I'm asking.
    Any present day computer should be fine, you do not need a high end computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks newpball but I'm trying to find a Socket 775 processor that do the trick if possible, maybe the instruction set is the key (eg: SSE3, SSE4 support, etc!)

@ all members of the forum

''Minimum Requirements for Running 1080p on PC:

A. The minimum requirements to play FullHD content on PC are pretty high, with a standard Codec.

Processor: 2.4Ghz (dual core) or 3.5Ghz (single Core) processor.

Graphics: Nvidia/ATi having bare minimum 256MB Video RAM and core clock 600Mhz''

Read more: http://geeknizer.com/1080p-minimum-requirements/#ixzz3Qv2tgzmR

Pentium 4 670 is a single core Intel processor able to operate @ 3.8 GHz and my graphic card meets the requirements too, according to this stament my system should play these videos, is the information from this site not trusty?
    Last edited by cd2xtac; 5th Feb 2015 at 19:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Here is the answer!

For goodness sake that CPU is 9 years old! You cannot seriously expect it to handle 1080p video. The video card shows a wopping 42 on the PassMark - G3D Mark, a very simple present day GPUs shows numbers ranging in the thousands and up.

My old 8600GT video card handles hardware decoding of 1080p video just fine. Even when I'm not using hardware decoding my old E6750 dual core can decode 1080p video without a problem. It decodes my test 1080p30 sample at 100Mbps.

For hardware decoding you'd need a player that supports it and a video card to match. Looking at the list here, I'm not certain cd2xtac's video card does. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

cd2xtac,
    Despite the newpball nonsense, I think your PC should be capable of playing 1080p video. When you're using MPC-HC does it indicate hardware decoding in the status bar?

I don't know why it's happening, but maybe my old tale of woe might comfort you a little. I had a bazaar issue with stuttering HD video that mainly involved srt subtitles, but as this post indicates (I had to dig it out to refresh my memory as it was a while ago) not always. I could configure the computer to always stutter when playing 1080p video and the audio would go out of sync (at least when using MPC-HC).
    And even more odder, I have two virtually identical PCs. Same MB and video card, only one has a quad core CPU. Only one PC suffered from the problem. The subtitle issue was also partly a player problem that was eventually fixed, but this is what happened, and I'll probably never understand exactly why:
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1648111#post1648111
    To make me feel a little better someone else confirmed I wasn't alone.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1648114#post1648114
    Last edited by hello_hello; 6th Feb 2015 at 00:59.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ hello_hello

Thanks a lot!, I'll follow your instructions, according to Nvidia website my graphic card can be configured to use hardware acceleration with the PureVideo decoder though I won't be able to use it in Windows 8.1 Pro, but this doesn't bother me too much since I'm an XP guy:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_sysreqs.html

http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/11036/PureVideo_Product_Comparison.pdf

As you'll see in the links above, the comparison chart shows my 7100 GS GPU supporting H.264 decode acceleration!

I'll take a look at MPC-HC in order to enable the option of hardware decoding and then post results!
    Last edited by cd2xtac; 6th Feb 2015 at 20:11.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm not sure I understand the Win8 limitation, but the way I understand it MPC-HC can use Nvidia CUVID for decoding on WinXP and CUVID and DXVA2 on newer Windows versions. I'm not sure. I'm still using XP myself.

For MPC-HC it's in the LAV video decoder setup under Options/Internal Filters. For XP it'll show DXVA2 as available but it doesn't work (XP is DXVA only). Nvidia Cuvid works though, depending on the video card.

An alternative might be to disable the h264/avc transform filter in MPC-HC and use ffdshow instead. ffdshow has a DXVA decoder that works under XP.

If hardware decoding is active MPC-HC should display "Playing H/W" in the status bar.

Mind you as you pointed out, your CPU probably should have enough grunt to decode 1080p on it's own, so maybe there's something else going on.
    Quote Quote  
  9. DXVA Checker might help. Benchmarking playback performance will show how much power that CPU have.
    Task manager will also show CPU usage during video playback. If it is always at max usage or hits 100% very often than CPU is the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ hello_hello

Thanks again!, it's good to have people like you in this forum that really know what they're talking about, this is a Video forum, for people like me who are interested not only in solving their issues but also in learning and finding its causes we really appreciate answers like yours!

So I'll ask you one more question: It would be correct to say that it's not necessary to have PureVideo Decoder installed to get DXVA working?, only the Nvidia 7100 GS hardware drivers for my OS (Windows XP) and the correct configuration for DXVA should do the trick?

@ Detmek

Thanks a lot, I will do the test and post results!
    Last edited by cd2xtac; 7th Feb 2015 at 10:09.
    Quote Quote  
  11. If you're referring to Nvidia's PureVideo decoding software, then no, you don't need it. Just the drivers. MPC-HC only supports DXVA2 but it won't work on XP even when DXVA2 is selected in the video decoder configuration. In MPC-HC's video decoder configuration (LAV decoder) hopefully the Nvidia CUVID option will work for hardware decoding, otherwise try ffdshow's DXVA decoder instead. I'm not completely certain as to what hardware decoding your card supports, but you can only try.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ hello_hello

Under Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bits I configured LAV decoder for MPC-HC as internal video decoder, chose DXVA2, CUVID was not supported (so said LAV decoder), checked H.264 and played the video and couldn't get Hardware Acceleration to work, no ''Playing H/W'' in the player's status bar, same slow/out of sync playback, I don't know what's happening, maybe an incorrect configuration. Is there any further configuration in the player that needs to be done?

@ Detmek

Here is some info provided by DXVA Checker:

Decoder Device:

NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS
    MPEG2_IDCT: DXVA2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    MPEG2_A: DXVA1, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    MPEG2_C: DXVA1, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    VC1_MoComp: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    WMV9_MoComp: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    VC1_PostProc: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    WMV9_PostProc: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    1720AC81-9D1B-4F63-9A37-4A88483D0B87: DXVA2, (Skipped)
    H264_MoComp_NoFGT: DXVA2, SD / HD
    4B2E068F-396A-43DF-B86B-7DC6D2B6726A: DXVA1, Unknown
    312B6A3A-41DE-4A43-9C0F-FB3D5F0DFB9A: DXVA1, Unknown

Processor Device (DXVA1/2):

6CB69578-7617-4637-91E5-1C02DB810285: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    F9F19DA5-3B09-4B2F-9D89-C64753E3EAAB: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    ProgressiveDevice: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    BobDevice: DXVA1/2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD
    SoftwareDevice: DXVA2, SD / HD / FHD / QFHD

DXVA-HD: Unsupported

Direct3D 11: Unsupported
    Last edited by cd2xtac; 9th Feb 2015 at 18:34.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM
    I fear that this topic will run for another few months when eventually everybody finally realizes that the stuttering can only be solved by upgrading a 9 year old computer.

I am curious though: I wonder what is the resolution of the monitor/TV the poster is using.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ newpball

I forgot to mention that playback is perfect for the first 30/40 seconds of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  15. You've gotta love newpball's amazing ability to believe whatever he wants to believe. I almost envy it in a way.
    Even if the current CPU and video card aren't up to it, an upgrade to a video card capable of doing the decoding should solve the problem. I'm currently watching a 1080p video, the CPU is decoding the audio, compressing it and re-sampling it (via ffdshow, a Winamp plugin and Reclock), and CPU usage is sitting on a steady 5%.

I found a decoding test carried out back in 2007. Same video card as mine. A 40Mbps video tested with an E4300 CPU and a Pentium 4 560.
    A Pentium 4 560? Isn't that less powerful than cd2xtac's CPU? I worry newpball will need to ignore that test so furiously he'll never remove all the sand from his ears.
    Admittedly, if the 8800GTX used in the test has the same decoding abilities as your card, it might indicate a video card upgrade is required. The review seems to indicate it doesn't support hardware decoding, but other info I've found says it does. Anyway, what is your CPU usage like when playing 1080p video at the moment?

cd2xtac,
    Thinking about it, the ability to use hardware decoding is probably renderer dependant. Make sure you're using either VMR9 (renderless) or EVR (custom presenter). If that's not the problem, you might have to try DXVA via ffdshow as I explained earlier. If that doesn't work, then maybe it's time for a video card upgrade.

I don't fully understand the info DXVA Checker provides, but hopefully Detmek can enlighten us. CTRL+J might provide some useful info when using MPC-HC, although once again, I only have a limited understanding of it all. The info displayed depends on the renderer being used.

Here's an example screenshot, although unfortunately it won't appear in newpball's browser as it shows a video card from 2007 with 256MB RAM decoding 1080p video.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mpc-hc.gif
Views:	317
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	30097
    Last edited by hello_hello; 7th Feb 2015 at 23:50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ hello_hello

The behavior of newpball is sometimes found on individuals without knowledge on a subject always choosing the ''shortcuts'', thank GOD there are always people like you willing to help others with less knowledge but trying to learn. I guess newpball probably will have to do what an ostrich does with its head

In my case the video renderer is EVR (custom presenter), I haven't test VMR9 (renderless), should I try it?. I tried to configure DXVA via ffdshow but didn't find the settings to do so. I noticed that when audio and video are out of sync CPU reaches 100% of usage, I agree with you that if I could find the settings to achieve Hardware Acceleration my problem could be solved by decreasing the load of the CPU.

Thanks a lot once more for helping me out!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search PM
    I noticed that when audio and video are out of sync CPU reaches 100% of usage,....
    I am not surprised.......

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ newpball

In the country where I live you're forced to be a savy person, a whole Socket 1150 kit (eg: G3220, 2GB RAM DDR3 and a cheap 1150 mobo) would cost me 230 USD. Thanks to hello_hello who led me to this brilliant benchmark now I know that my Nvidia 7100 GS graphic card doesn't feature the VP2 decoding acceleration engine needed to decode H.264 by hardware and maybe I won't have to spend 230 USD but only 34 USD, do you see the importance of providing help to others here?
    Quote Quote  
  19. For ffdshow you need to open the DXVA decoder configuration (there should be a shortcut in the start menu),

Name:	dxva.gif
Views:	1012
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	30100

Once h264 is checked it should work. Assuming you have MPC-HC configured so the regular ffdshow decoder is decoding, the DXVA encode should do the work for h264 instead. If the regular ffdshow decoder continues to open, it probably means it can't use DXVA decoding.

MPC-HC indicates DXVA doesn't work with the EVR renderer, but maybe it's an internal thing. The ffdshow DXVA decoder still runs for me with EVR selected, although MPC-HC doesn't show H/W decoding in the status bar. Try VMR9 though, just to be safe.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by cd2xtac View Post
    Thanks to hello_hello who led me to this brilliant benchmark now I know that my Nvidia 7100 GS graphic card doesn't feature the VP2 decoding acceleration engine needed to decode H.264 by hardware and maybe I won't have to spend 230 USD but only 34 USD, do you see the importance of providing help to others here?
    I'm still not clear on that. It appears to support VP1 which is possibly enough. The page you linked to indicates maybe it's not implemented in the open source drivers, but the card itself is probably VP1 capable.

I still wonder if there's something else going on though, pushing CPU usage higher than it should be. As I said, my old E6750 can decode 1080p video without a problem. It decodes my 1080p30 100Mb/s test clip, although CPU usage does climb pretty high, but that's 100Mb/s. Way higher than your average 1080p video. Normally CPU usage would stay under 50%. The 8600GT can't decode the test video. It stops and stutters and freezes when hardware decoding is enabled.

Back when I was having the problems I linked to in my first post, I found CPU usage was much lower using DXVA decoding than Nvidia Cuvid, which wasn't much lower than not using any hardware decoding at all. Once the problem was sorted, CPU usage for both CUVID and DXVA evened out. It was odd.

Anyway, you can only experiment to see what happens.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th Feb 2015 at 03:21.
    Quote Quote  
  21. If 7100GS has VP1 decoder that means it has partial H.264 hardware accelerated decoding. DXVA Checker seams to conform that - H264_MoComp_NoFGT: DXVA2, SD / HD. Only motion compensation is hardware acclelerated, but only for DXVA2. May that help or not, I don't know. It should be tested with FFDShow or MPC-BE with its internal decoder (it should still support DXVA1), or under Windows 8 that supports DXVA2.

Something that also may help to reduce CPU usage is disabeling inloop deblocking in decoder. MPC-BE's decoder has that option.

Name:	2015-02-08_111528.png
Views:	994
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	30101.
    Lower options disable more inloop deblocking. Quality will drop a bit but so will CPU usage.

Other alternative is upgrading CPU or upgrading GPU with one that has at least VP2 decoder. Nvidia 8500GT, 8600GT, 9400GS or 9500GT should do the job.

BTW, I have Pentium G3220 with integrated GPU (GT1). Here is what I get when benchmark Blu-Ray remux with DXVA Checker x64 on Windows 7 SP1 x64, CPU decoding and scalled to 1280x720.

Name:	1080p software playback x64.png
Views:	1055
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	30102

When I playback this file with madVR I need to set DXVA decoding and DXVA scalling to avoid frame drops, smooth motion ON. Although, madVR is more demanding then EVR or EVR-CP.
    Last edited by Detmek; 8th Feb 2015 at 05:49.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I mada a small tutorial video of how to test CPU/GPU for video decoding.
    Note minimum FPS as if it drops below video fps video will stutter.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhZCtE1P40w
    Quote Quote  
  23. I'll confess I can't make much sense out of that program.

I get this far okay.

Name:	dc1.gif
Views:	986
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	30103

But DirectShow being greyed out stops me going any further.

Name:	dc2.gif
Views:	974
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	30104

Am I missing something?
    I don't seem to be able to get it to play with ffdshow's DXVA decoder. I don't have LAV installed.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th Feb 2015 at 08:04.
    Quote Quote  
  24. If you have installed NET.Framework 3.5 or newer and Visual C++ 2008 I really don't know why that menu is greyed out. Maybe something is broken in DirectShow chain? You can try with GraphStudioNext to see if it can create DirectShow chain.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ hello_hello & Detmek

Thanks to both of you, it's good to have you here in this forum! . I'll follow the steps and post results. DXVA Checker has an option in the first page named ''Decoder Device'' that says ''Device Creator'', I played with it and created devices it's just interesting that when I tried to create a H.264 device with screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 it said ''failed'', a 1280 x 720 was created succesfully though but I don't fully understand what these results mean.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by cd2xtac View Post
    I played with it and created devices it's just interesting that when I tried to create a H.264 device with screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 it said ''failed'', a 1280 x 720 was created succesfully though but I don't fully understand what these results mean.
    Neither do I, but for me 1920x1080 was successful.
    If you're not getting H/W decoding to work with MPC-HC at 1080p, maybe you should try 720p to see if it means anything.

Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    If you have installed NET.Framework 3.5 or newer and Visual C++ 2008 I really don't know why that menu is greyed out. Maybe something is broken in DirectShow chain? You can try with GraphStudioNext to see if it can create DirectShow chain.
    It might be the way ffdshow works. Do you need a DXVA decoder (software) for the DirectShow option not to be greyed out?

When I try using GraphStudioNext to render a video it just shows the standard ffdshow video decoder even though the DXVA decoder is enabled and working, so maybe the standard ffdshow decoder decides whether to switch to DXVA decoding and the media player is oblivious, so to speak. Or something like that......

If I open an MKV via the "check decoders" button I get this, so there's at least a hint of DXVA showing, but the DXVA option is greyed out so I don't know what it does.

Name:	1.gif
Views:	1006
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	30113

Decoder information just points to ffdshow.ax and Properties takes me to the standard ffdshow decoder configuration.

Name:	2.gif
Views:	960
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	30114

The DXVA decoder happily plays with MPC-HC.

Name:	3.gif
Views:	892
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	30115

I had all the dot nets installed but not C++ 2008. I thought I did but according to Add/Remove programs I had 2005, 2010 and 2012 installed but no 2008, so I installed it and that didn't change anything. I installed 2008 SP1 and the 2008 SP1 MFC security update and then I gave up.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 8th Feb 2015 at 14:35.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Strange. I don't have FFDShow installed so I installed only FFDShow DXVA decoder and no matter what it does not show in DXVA Checker. I don't know why.

No, you don't need DXVA decoder for this program to work as it works for me when I disable all DXVA decoders. I mean, it works even with VP9 in WEBM. Though, I am using this program for the 3-4 weeks so I didn't try every option it has. Maybe its a bug in program.

FFDShow DXVA decoder didn't want to connect to render in GraphStudioNext untill I changed render to EVR. That might be a reason for it not to show in DXVA Checker or GraphStudioNext by default.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I can't get GraphStudioNext to acknowledge the presence of the EVR renderer so I decided to give up. Maybe it's because EVR isn't a native XP renderer.

Originally Posted by Detmek View Post
    BTW, I have Pentium G3220 with integrated GPU (GT1). Here is what I get when benchmark Blu-Ray remux with DXVA Checker x64 on Windows 7 SP1 x64, CPU decoding and scalled to 1280x720..
    I'm not sure I fully understand the benchmarks but I thought I'd play. I gave my little torture test sample a spin:

Name:	BV.gif
Views:	942
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	30123

newpball probably won't be able to see the screenshot because it shows my 8 year old CPU happily decoding video with bitrate peaks over 100Mbps (admittedly this was the quad core). I still don't fully understand. The first benchmark is scaled to 1280x720. The second one isn't. The second one was faster. I guess resizing takes a bit of CPU time?

Name:	dxva bench.gif
Views:	945
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	30124

GraphStudioNext benchmark. More typical 1080p video (around 5500kbps).

165fps with "Null Renderer". 83fps with VMR9. CPU usage only exceeds 50% very briefly a couple of times, so logically my dual core of similar vintage should be able to decode it at about the same speed. I think.

Name:	gs.gif
Views:	972
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	30125

Not that I was out to prove anything. Just messing around.....
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    I'm not able to find a reason for 1080p AVC/H.264 videos playing slow with audio and video out of sync....
    That is the question.

Here is the answer!

Two heads are better than one
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dfp.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	30126  

Last edited by Anonymous2; 9th Feb 2015 at 05:00.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ all

Assuming that DXVA Checker shows true information my card supports three different types of MPEG2 acceleration, following instructions given by Detmek in this Youtube video, I tested acceleration for H.264 videos and didn't work neither with LAV Video nor with ffdshow, same happened with standard MPEG2 videos, ''Decoder Device'' always showed ''not in use'', I'm beginning to think is a driver issue taking into consideration my card supports at least VP1.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!