VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi there,

I've just got a wireless USB mic to upgrade my PC karaoke set up, but i'm suffering from that old chestnut, mic sound out of one speaker only.

My wired USB mics are audible through both speakers by default, as they appear to come through as mono (1 channel shown in properties). The wireless mic though, shows as 2 channel sound only, under advanced settings, suggesting the computer is converting it to a stereo input, thus one channel is empty.

I've tried tweaking all settings, and lots of googling, and can't figure out how to get mic sound from right and left.

Can anyone help please?

Windows 7/Realtek HD audio/wireless mic receiver connected to PC rear panel via USB and pink mic socket/ amp audio cable from green line out jack to red and white dual input on amp.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try the USB receiver output connected directly to the amp, turn the volume down first. If you get the same result, try another 3,5mm to RCA cable.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks nic, i've already swapped the cable, and i like the amp idea, but i don't think it'll work on this one, as there's only a headphone jack?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009G0SV4M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
    Quote Quote  
  4. You have a mono mic plugged into a stereo jack?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok, got the obvious out of the way, the cable is not the issue. BTW, that's a nice little amp. It has a 3.5mm input where you should be able to plug the mic in as you do with the pink input on the computer. More details on the mic itself would be helpful as well. Just guessing here, but I don't think you're supposed to have the mic plugged in the pink input. I think the audio goes through the USB port.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It has to be what jagabo says, otherwise it would be a mono mix. AKA, two channel mono.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This USB mic has a 3.5 Jack which the manual says to put in the pink input, but neither this nor any other input produce mono mix, which is my goal. It is a cracking little amp, and I hope you're right about that input nic!, I'll let you know.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Mitterhouse View Post
    This USB mic has a 3.5 Jack which the manual says to put in the pink input, but neither this nor any other input produce mono mix, which is my goal. It is a cracking little amp, and I hope you're right about that input nic!, I'll let you know.
    Pink jack is mono - stereo jack is required due of MIC - MIC have small amplifier that need to be powered - that's why stereo jack and 3 cables are required for Mono MIC, later mixer in sound chip will do Mono mixing (MIC on R + L) - in case of wireless MIC everything is possible even being Mono and using Left (or Right) channel only from 2 possible channels (i.e. MIC is wired to only one channel).

I would go to advanced mixer setting and i will set above input "Balance" co mix correctly Mono to L+R.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Bad news, the 3.5 socket on the amp produces only very quiet audio from the left speaker only.

There has to be a way to create a mono mix of this signal!

Thanks pandy, but could you clarify on what i need to do to the balance settings?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Mitterhouse View Post
    Bad news, the 3.5 socket on the amp produces only very quiet audio from the left speaker only.

Thanks pandy, but could you clarify on what i need to do to the balance settings?

Balance is used to adjust ratio (distribution of signal) between channels - so if you have signal only in left and you want signal mono (both channels), to redirect it to right you need to balance ratio in a way where 50% of signals stay in left and 50% is feed to the right channel.

3.5 socket on amp may be like line in on the PC (blue jack) - this can be stereo signal without power line (pink jack have +5V DC power to supply MIC amplifier) - consider to use dynamic MIC (less popular than capacity - electret commonly used nowadays) .
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Mitterhouse View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DWAXLE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages0

Just ordered this, from the reviews it should do what i need!
    Yes, if MIC doesn't need power supply.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Mitterhouse View Post
    Bad news, the 3.5 socket on the amp produces only very quiet audio from the left speaker only.

The low level was expected, but it does confirm that the 3.5mm mic output is a mono signal (as it should be and as Pandy explained). The only question then is how is it that Windows says it's a 2 channel mic? The only possible answer is some information is coming from the USB connection. If you have a mobile charger with a USB port try plugging the receiver in it instead of the computer's and leave the pink connector plugged in the PC. Also, was there any software or drivers with that mic (or were you instructed to download something)?

Originally Posted by Mitterhouse View Post
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002DWAXLE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailp ages0

Just ordered this, from the reviews it should do what i need!
    I don't see how this will work, you can't use it on the mic output and if you plug it into the PC green connector and plug the 3.5mm to RCA cable into it, you will still only have sound out of the left side only. If you connect this y cable to the left RCA of the 3.5mm to RCA cable you will get sound out of both speakers. It's a quick and dirty fix and doesn't address the real issue. It would take a model number for the mic so we can stop guessing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Talking about guessing, I meant to mention that you should look at your karaoke software mic selection panel and see if you don't have another input other than from the Realtek sound card, it might say something about USB. If you do it's probably the 2 channel mic receiver outputting through USB; select that one and that will solve your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks all, i'm gonna run with pandy's comment,

Yes, if MIC doesn't need power supply.

This mic has its own usb power source.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Update - the little adapter worked like a dream, anyone else having this problem, buy one!
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!