VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OCD errands runner. ValentineStone's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hello.

I'm recording with Dxtory using Lagarith. Say, one file.
    Then importing that file into Vegas 13.
    For this example I'm doing no editing. Resample disabled.
    Then rendering that using Video for Windows, Lagarith, same settings as the original Dxtory ones.

And I don't get Smart Render.
    Does anyone have a clue concerning the issue?

I'll post project settings, render settings, and Lagarith settings just in case:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Render.png
Views:	462
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	30035Click image for larger version

Name:	Project.png
Views:	560
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	30034Name:  Lagarith.png
Views: 1012
Size:  4.1 KB

Thanks in advance,
    Valentine
    Last edited by ValentineStone; 5th Feb 2015 at 03:54.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Vegas ( and many other NLE's) smart render only some codecs usually DV or Mpeg. Lagarith is not one of them unfortunately. If you want only to cut some parts better do it in Virtual dub direct copy ( it is the same as "smart render")
    Quote Quote  
  3. OCD errands runner. ValentineStone's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply,
    Well, I used cutting just as example, I'd need to do basic audio and video editing so VirtualDub is not an option for me.

Do you know if Adobe Premiere can do this by any chance?
    (I'll get a trial version and check it out)
    Quote Quote  
  4. OCD errands runner. ValentineStone's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Welp, I checked Adobe's webpage and Premiere does not seem to do that, just like you said.

Thanks anyway, I'll have to figure out a different way of doing something like this still.

Basically what I need is rendering (and editing) an intro and an outtro and correcting the sound some for a balance between voice and music/background.
    And it has to be simple enough to be fast.

Kinda like this, so since the thread is going to stay for a while suggestions are welcomed!

Valentine
    Quote Quote  
  5. Lagarith is theoretically lossless. So re-encoding lagarith->lagarith, even though not technically smart rendering, should produce theoretically identical results.

edit: just tried a lag->lag in Vegas Movie Studio (v.11). Got the message "no recompression required." In other words -- smart rendering works. Make sure your source, project and export settings match.
    Last edited by smrpix; 5th Feb 2015 at 08:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. OCD errands runner. ValentineStone's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    Lagarith is theoretically lossless. So re-encoding lagarith->lagarith, even though not technically smart rendering, should produce theoretically identical results.

edit: just tried a lag->lag in Vegas Movie Studio (v.11). Got the message "no recompression required." In other words -- smart rendering works. Make sure your source, project and export settings match.
    Wow, thanks, that is awesome. I'll have to get it to work somehow, no idea why mine isn't doing smart render now though...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Be sure to keep the raster size, frame rate and field order identical from source footage to Vegas Project to Export. This is different than the test I did yesterday, but worked just as well:
    (ignore 2nd image)

Name:	samespecs.png
Views:	264
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	30067
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	samespecs.png
Views:	294
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	30066  

Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search PM
    Progressive NTSC DV?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Progressive NTSC DV?
    As a starting template to modify -- why not? You'll notice there's nothing in OP's settings (nor mine) that indicate DV except the leftover comments.
    Last edited by smrpix; 6th Feb 2015 at 13:08.
    Quote Quote  
  10. OCD errands runner. ValentineStone's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I tried everything, even in Studio 11, even with source recoding of that wanky fps of yours just for hecks XD
    It doesn't render, in a Smart way i mean ;)

The only thing that I didn't manage to replicate is that 1280x720x24 of yours, I've got x32 there for me, but since I wasn't successful in finding out how to kick RGB24 out of Lagarith instead of RGB32 yet, I've decided to post back while I do my research.

EDIT: I'll further investigate the RGB24 issue in it's own thread, RGB32 and RGBA are some weird things O_o
    Last edited by ValentineStone; 7th Feb 2015 at 03:22.
    Quote Quote  
  11. OCD errands runner. ValentineStone's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So yeah, I found the issue probably.
    Here:

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	256
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	30383

I can't see the issue being just x32 vs x64 algorithms, but there is one THING there, forgot to screenshoot it tough.
    Its basicly one doing 93.6 bitrate and the other one doing 93.9 or 96.3 or something like that, I'll check it once I'm at home and post a screenshot of mediainfo for the files of 32 coder vs 64 coder
    Quote Quote  
  12. Your clips will not smart render because of the difference in colour depth (1280x720x24 vs 1280x720x32), just as you have noticed. I have experienced the same problem. However, your clip does in fact have the correct colour depth. Vegas is showing a wrong colour depth. This is a problem with DxTory and/or Vegas. If your clip is produced with CamStudio instead of DxTory, it will smart render because Vegas is able to detect the correct colour depth. I asked this question over on the DxTory forum, but I am not getting any feedback from the developers that can confirm or disconfirm that this is an issue with DxTory, which I believe it is.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!