VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. EDIT: Please read the comment below and help with that.
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 5th Feb 2015 at 02:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you look really close at the insides of things, it looks like theres another image of the same thing inside. Its alot easier to see in this picture, just look at the purple on the face especially above the eyes.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/S869NZ5.png

Once more in this picture. Look in the shirt where the dark red meets the light red, theres a whitish image of the same thing over the light red. Look at the purple markings above the eyes and on the arms. If you look at the insides around the outer edge again theres is a whitish looking image of the same thing inside.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/FoA2fhL.png

How can I remove or cover those up? (Much easier to see in full size picture not shrunken down by forum)

Last edited by killerteengohan; 6th Feb 2015 at 18:39.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Im still unable to find a good solution to this.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I think those bright edges are intentional. Like the bright edges on his hair on the right. They're there to create a back lighting effect. So you don't want to remove them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you sure were seeing the same thing? There is none of what Im talking about in his hair that I noticed. What I'm seeing kinda resembles something that could be fixed with a halo remover on DVD, but it didn't really fix it on this source.

I marked it in red.

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/VvBlsqh.png
    Last edited by killerteengohan; 7th Feb 2015 at 01:56.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You're seeing it wrong. I loaded the shirt image into gimp and used the eye dropper tool on the colours. The "whitish" colours on the edges of the shirt are in fact pretty much exactly the same colour as the colour in the middle of the shirt. The problem is that there's a darker red area following the edges between them that makes the red on the edges LOOK whiter than they actually are, but it's all an optical illusion.
    Last edited by ndjamena; 7th Feb 2015 at 04:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I marked it in red.
    Those are oversharpening halos. Did you downscale from 1080p to 720p? Use a less sharp resizer.

And to some extent it is an optical illusion. Even with a perfect boundary between the green and purple your eyes will see halos.
    Last edited by jagabo; 7th Feb 2015 at 07:55.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you zoom in close enough to green/dark-dark grey boundaries you can actually see the green colour encroaching quite far into the greyscale, which pretty much shows exactly why the halos look the way they do. The halo in the purple section of the green/purple boundary is truly lighter because it's inheriting some of it's shading from the it's light green neighbour, whereas the "whitish" area in the light red section of the light red/dark red boundary only LOOKS whitish because the shading from the dark red area encroached inside it's boundaries making the actual light red near the boundary look lighter than it actually is (ie it's an "illusionary whitish").
    Quote Quote  
  9. Also, since the video is presumably YUV 4:2:0, the chroma has only half the resolution (each dimension) of the luma. Which means you always get smeared colors at edges when converting to 4:4:4 RGB.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I marked it in red.
    Those are oversharpening halos. Did you downscale from 1080p to 720p? Use a less sharp resizer.

And to some extent it is an optical illusion. Even with a perfect boundary between the green and purple your eyes will see halos.
    No the source was 720p and I didnt sharpen it, only antialiased it and gently denoised it. If it was 1080p I would have kept it at 1080p.

Chroma Sharpening seems to reduce it. While it doesn't get rid of it, it did a more acceptable job than a halo remover did with hiding it. Is chroma sharpening safe to do to this source?

MergeChroma(aWarpSharp2(depth=4))
    Quote Quote  
  11. Try:

Code:
    Y = Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=2.0)
    U = UtoY().Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=2.0)
    V = VtoY().Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=2.0)
    YtoUV(U, V, Y)
    Maybe follow that up with a little luma and/or chroma sharpening with aWarpSharp.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Try:

Code:
    Y = Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=2.0)
    U = UtoY().Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=2.0)
    V = VtoY().Dehalo_alpha(rx=2.0, ry=2.0)
    YtoUV(U, V, Y)
    Maybe follow that up with a little luma and/or chroma sharpening with aWarpSharp.

I will give it a try as soon as possible and fill you in on it when I try it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Would a 15-30 second sample video help out any?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Sorry I had a 401 video queue and it took forever to finish.

I tried what you suggested today since the queue finally finished and I get this error.

there is no function named "expand"
    (DeHalo_Alpha.avso, line 21)

I believe I have the newest version of the .avsi, so Im not sure why this function would be missing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by killerteengohan View Post
    I tried what you suggested today since the queue finally finished and I get this error.

there is no function named "expand"
    (DeHalo_Alpha.avso, line 21)
    http://avisynth.nl/index.php/DeHalo_alpha

Do you have the required plugins? avso?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Expand() is part of Masktools. http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MaskTools

The latest version of dehalo_alpha() uses masktools2 (mt_expand()). http://avisynth.nl/index.php/MaskTools2
    Quote Quote  
  16. I just wanted to thank you and let you know I got it cleaned up acceptable with your help.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!