VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just want to transfer all my DVD movie collection to 2 terabyte External Hard drive.
    I don't really understand compression. Or should I just copy them across as they are
    Quote Quote  
  2. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You cannot just copy them. They are encrypted. Make an ISO using DVDFab or AnyDVD or use MakeMKV.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do not dispose of the discs after transferring them to a hard drive. You're only asking to lose your stuff, eventually. Hard drives can crash.

KEEP THE ORIGINAL DISCS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    If you have the movies on hard drives, how are you going to play them back? Are you going to connect them straight to a smart TV? Are you going to play them with a streaming media player? Or are you going to play them with software on a computer?

Do you want the original menus and extras or do you want the main movie only?

All of these things can affect which format to use when storing the movies on hard drives. Not all devices will play movie ISO files.

You must also realize that compressing the movies and changing their format will take a considerable amount of time if you have a large collection. Ripping as uncompressed DVD-video, or using MakeMKV to keep the main movie only and putting them in mkv format will take considerably less time.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!