VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently replaced my old dvd player (multi region) with a Bluray Toshiba BDX1500KB. I have a large number of region 1 dvds which I am now unable to play. Does anyone know of a code to let me play region 1 dvds on this player? I am not interested in a code to play region 1 blurays.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not blaming you as you had no way to know this, but the reality of today is that the days of going to the store, buying some random player and unlocking it when you get home are gone. Long gone. And they aren't coming back.

If you searched and can't find a code, it's because one doesn't exist. Very very few BluRay players can be unlocked with a code. It's not like it was in the past decade for a while with DVD players. BluRay's licensing agreement specifically forbids manufacturers from producing unlocked players, so while a few get through for various reasons, almost no BluRay players produced today can be unlocked out of the box. And if you are lucky enough to find a player that can be unlocked and you ever upgrade the firmware on it, the odds are that you've permanently destroyed the player's ability to be unlocked. And yes, I understand that you only care about unlocking for DVD playback, but that doesn't change anything I said.

The only thing I recommend any more is that if you need region free, you need to buy from a reseller on the internet who had modified the hardware to allow the player to go into region free mode. Such players unlock independently of firmware, so firmware upgrades won't have any effect. The resellers do raise the price somewhat over store prices to cover the cost of the hardware they added, but it's now the only way to be sure you can get a player that can be unlocked.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ...or you can make a Region free copy of your Region 1 DVDs and be provided with a backup in the process.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    ...or you can make a Region free copy of your Region 1 DVDs and be provided with a backup in the process.
    That would be the best and easiest option I imagine.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!