VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 16
FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by ricardouk View Post
    Hi stax76.
    Been converting some videos (no audio) to prores and is there a way to use the temp video file as the final exported video?

for example:
    staxrip converts a video and creates a 28gb video (mov) temp file and after the conversion it remuxes it again to creates the final 28gb exported video, both temp and final video are identical.
    You can disable muxing by selecting the No Muxing muxer profile.

In fact, you can disable more or less everything except the things you want:

https://staxrip.readthedocs.io/usage.html#batch-processing
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What would be the highest quality resizer for up-scaling in staxrip?
    Lately there is much talk about AI-upscaling..., but I guess this is not to find in staxrip (yet)?
    Last edited by Bob.Dig; 28th Jul 2020 at 05:54.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    There is no "best for every case". Different material may make you prefer different resampler kernels because they differ in the amount of smoothing or "sharpening" (with the side effects of adding ringing artifacts around borders).

And StaxRip is only a user interface creating and executing AviSynth scripts, so it can only offer you a choice between scaling algorithms provided by AviSynth or its available plugins.

I don't believe this hyped AI upscaler is available as such. But there are plugins with Edge Directed Interpolation (EDI), especially some based on pre-trained Neural Networks, e.g. NNEDI3: These plugins can upsample images by powers of 2 (means, 2 or 4 ... the original size in both directions), while preserving rather sharp looking edges without too much ringing. You can then downscale to a desired resolution with another simpler resizer (e.g. Spline16).
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, so what is the highest quality build-in resizer with EDI for up-scaling in staxrip?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I am sorry I replied. Now your question makes even less sense than before.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    I am sorry I replied. Now your question makes even less sense than before.
    Just don't over-complicate things. An easy question can be answered the same, for example, there is none or something like that. I am just a novice user using staxrip. I don't search complex solutions.
    If it is not included in staxrip, it doesn't exist for me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    I tried:

Originally Posted by LigH.de View Post
    There is no "best for every case". Different material may make you prefer different resampler kernels because they differ in the amount of smoothing or "sharpening" (with the side effects of adding ringing artifacts around borders).
    Some people like it "sharp" and prefer Lanczos, others don't like the exaggeration of noise and edge ringing. For general content I would suggest neutral or soft bicubic, or Spline16, which avoids too much ringing. If you have several similar functions with different numbers: The higher numbers usually cause a "sharper" image but more artifacts and more exaggerated noise.

For cartoons I would recommend NNEDI3's rpow2 resize first and then a downscale with Spline16. But that's my personal taste. And I believe StaxRip does not even offer this two-step technique. It may require manual editing of the scvript.

I just looked into StaxRip ... it has a "SuperRes" submenu. But I believe those are more interesting for computer generated videos? Not sure...

Let's sum it up: Gotta try them all. Compare them, get a feeling how much you like which. In general, "PointResize" will probably be the least preferred choice, except for resizing pixel images.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ok, thanks anyway. I will look at SuperRes.
    I want to upscale just ordinary TV, no cartoons or similar.
    Quote Quote