VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone, my friends and I were bored and decided to make a lip dub one-shot music video. Here's the one we shot so far, but we need tips on how to improve the video (removing people in the background, etc.)

This is our first time making a video and any other tips you have would help us greatly!! We shot it with a GoPro HERO3, if that helps. Thanks!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdLMwXEWmk8
    Quote Quote  
  2. If that's the first time, good for you, well done.

Removing people in the background is extraordinarily difficult. My advice is to devote your time, creativity and energy to the next video, using more shots, framing people out of the background so you don't have to remove them. This one is fine as it is. Move on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    fun it was for sure

But if you want to improve your music video a bit, it is indeed needed to record it again, and use your camera a bit different.

First listen to the music, and the story it tells.

Then divide the music in parts so you can start framing.

Framing is the most difficult part, it means making choices. Going from a 3d world, to a 2d medium and showing to a 1d thinking public....kind of rule of thirds but then different

To start with framing, divide your viewfinder in a virtual 3d box with 9 cubes. Background, mid ground, foreground, up, middle and down.

Now the background is the part you need to create first, because that one is the part that you can hardly move. Like a building and roads, trees, river ect. This background you picture first, and keep the rule of thirds in mind for each layer.

Now you can create the mid ground, this can be your subject with on the foreground something else, or you put supporting dancers in the mid ground and the lead singer in the fore ground.

Also with these levels, keep the rule of thirds in mind to give it a natural film look. Is not easy, so first try it with making photo's so you get the feeling over it. These photo's you can later edit into your video to again.

If you have questions, please ask. When you have made the pictures with your friends, put them online and i will look at it and tell you the next step what you can do....if you like of course
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!