VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have been havig problems with mu Directv whole home DVR. Directv sent me a replacement unit today. The problem is that I will lose all of the movies that are stored on the bad DVR when I hook up the new replacement one. I will have to transfer the movies from the Directv DVR to my Toshiba D-VR4 so that I can have them stored on actual DVD discs.

In the past, years ago, I had problems finding discs that would work with my Toshiba D-VR4. Does anyone know which discs I need to purchase that will work with my deck?

Is there any other way of getting the movies from the old Directv whole home DVR to the new replacement unit?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your DVD recorder uses DVD-R, DVD-RW, and DVD-RAM discs. Which kind of media do you need?

Note that you may need a video stabilizer or video clarifier to remove copy protection flags in the signal to be able to re-record some of the content stored on your DVR. Even using DVD-RAM or VR-mode formatted CPRM-compatible DVD-RW media only allows you to record programming marked copy-once or copy-freely. It won't let you record content with copy-no-more or copy-never copy protection. If the programming you recorded with the DVR originally had copy-once protection when it was broadcast, the recording stored on your DVR is the one copy you are allowed to make, and will have copy-no-more or copy-never protection applied when it is played back. Your DVD recorder will refuse to record it no matter what media you use.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jan 2015 at 07:30.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Usually_quiet is correct. And if even if you could record it, the Toshiba records standard definition only.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Usually_quiet is correct. And if even if you could record it, the Toshiba records standard definition only.
    Anyone who owns a DVD recorder is aware of that limitation, and some are OK with it.

There are other things about the OP's Toshiba DVD recorder itself which concern me more. The Toshiba recorder the OP has was a 2005 model, given the date printed on the manual. If all the OP needs are DVD-R discs, it wouldn't be too hard to find good media sold online that should be compatible with most older recorders. However, the DVD drive may not be in good shape. Toshiba DVD recorders made at that time had great picture quality but their DVD drives were not renowned for their durability. It may be very picky about discs or fail to record DVDs on account of the age of the drive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Anyone who owns a DVD recorder is aware of that limitation, and some are OK with it.
    You are on some really thin ice with that statement based on the posts I see here all the time. I sure wouldn't assume a newbie poster understands that at all and I think LMotlow was right to point that out just in case.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    You are on some really thin ice with that statement based on the posts I see here all the time. I sure wouldn't assume a newbie poster understands that at all and I think LMotlow was right to point that out just in case.
    You are on much thinner ice with this poster. The OP has apparently had this DVD recorder for some time. Once someone has used a DVD recorder for a while, it is hard to miss the fact that the recorded picture is standard definition. It is mostly people who don't yet own a DVD recorder or just bought their first one who come here with the unrealistic expectation that they can use it to record in high definition.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Doesn't look to me that the O.P. made that distinction:

Originally Posted by fmitchelltx View Post
    I will have to transfer the movies from the Directv DVR to my Toshiba D-VR4 so that I can have them stored on actual DVD discs.
    Also looks like the O.P. thinks DVD is HD. But we could all be wrong about that. Maybe he's aware of the limitations. He didn't say.

Like you said, maybe his Toshiba's drive is having problem with certain discs or getting haywire in its old age. Maybe he didn't look over the manual to see which disc types the unit would accept. Maybe like many combo's the unit won't play nice with DVD+R. Lots of maybe's here.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 29th Jan 2015 at 11:21.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe like many combo's the unit won't play nice with DVD+R.
    It depended on the manufacturer in 2005. At that time most of the companies making DVD recorders were either in the DVD+R/+RW camp or DVD-R/-RW camp. Their products could sometimes play the other type of media but could not record on it. This changed a few years later.

However, the manual makes it clear that the OP's Toshiba DVD recorder only records to DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM, and recommends that it should not even be used to play DVD+R or DVD+RW.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 29th Jan 2015 at 17:44. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thank y'all for all of the help. My DVR uses DVD-R. I picked up 10 of them this morning at Wal-Mart. They work great! I understand they are standard definition only. I have my old Blu-Ray player that I normally use to watch movies on. I just received my new 3-D Blu-Ray player today so I have been transferring the movies from my old Directv box to the DVD-R discs all day in another room.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Glad to hear things worked out well fmitchelltx.

But is anyone besides me absolutely floored by that?

A ten year old, disused, Toshiba D-VR4 (which had the pickiest, most dysfunctional burner in the world short of its contemporary Sony RDR-GX300) goes right back to work, happily burning a random 10-pak of who-knows-what generic 2015 media purchased at WalMart?

fmitchelltx, you have no idea how incredibly lucky you are this week. I suggest you buy a lottery ticket and exploit the streak.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    Glad to hear things worked out well fmitchelltx.

But is anyone besides me absolutely floored by that?
    Well, yes, I am somewhat surprised at the outcome. I figured if the OP was asking for advice on what media to buy, it was because the DVD-R or DVD-RW media available in local stores was incompatible, or he could not find DVD-RAM.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!