VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all really hope someone can help me, apologies if this is an issue tackled before I have searched forums but cannot find this issue anywhere?! weird as I hope this is a common problem,

I have just downloaded avidemux and seems straight forward enough, BUT I am trying to cut a large video file in half, however when I save the video file it does not save as a video but as a normal file,

I can select my media player when opening on my pc and this will play but I am putting this file onto a usb to play on my TV but the file does not show and I cannot play it,

please can someone tell me there is a simple fix for this and when I save the files I can make sure they save as video files?

Any help massively appreciated...

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    What is the format of the original file, and what is your intended output?

In AviDemux you must select the type of file you want as output. Default is an avi file. Lets say that instead of an avi you want mp4 instead. Just under the Output Format is a dropbox where you can select the MP4 Muxer. In addition to selecting MP4 Muxer, you need to name the output file with the correct extension, in this case, .mp4.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by stclacton View Post
    I have just downloaded avidemux and seems straight forward enough, BUT I am trying to cut a large video file in half, however when I save the video file it does not save as a video but as a normal file
    Originally Posted by Kerry56 View Post
    In addition to selecting MP4 Muxer, you need to name the output file with the correct extension, in this case, .mp4.
    yep the same happened to me when i started with avidemux, the program doesnt add the extension.

Originally Posted by Avidemux official Forum
    If you want to use full stop in middle of file name, have the courtesy of adding the extension yourself.
    Avidemux has batch processing capabilities from command line in Windows, Linux, perhaps OS X to. This is the reason why Avidemux cannot bother with file names having full stop/spaces in it.
    The recommendation still goes: keep paths as short in length/depth as possible and close to the root of the used hard disk. In filenames use standard UK ascii only, no full stop. This will avoid you having issues when processing files in avidemux.
    Last edited by ricardouk; 27th Jan 2015 at 18:20.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Plus if you are cutting a file in half, you'll be saving TWO times/files.....right?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ignore this. Just testing.

Mp4 Muxer should NOT link to mp4muxer? Okey! Fine.

Quote Quote  
  6. Hi all

thanks so much for the replies,

@hech54 - Yes saving two files i actually managed to split the original file felt very pleased with myself but then couldnt get it to work on the tv....

@Kerry56 and @ricardouk - thanks for your comments, the file it currently mkv. and was copying the file output so assumed it would come back the same, i will try naming the file extention see if that makes a difference!

Thanks again all
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!