VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi.
    I've been out of the loop for quiet sometime and I need to covert some files one from the other.

What programs do you suggest?
    My tv will not play mkv fies.

Also I would like to be able to put multiple fies on one dvd top play from teh dvd player.

so I have files on my computer that I can not play other than on my computer.
    I need to convert them to another format so I can.

Please help
    Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hollywood_12 View Post
    My tv will not play mkv fies.
    What does your TV play? How do you connect, directly through a USB connection?

If through a Blu-ray player the TV has nothing to do with it, it is the Blu-ray player that accepts certain files or not.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For single files, I use Virtualdub.

For batch conversion, I create folders for each file type that I want to convert and use ffmpeg to batch convert. Here is a link to show different conversions and instructions on how to set everything up...

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/356314-How-to-batch-convert-multiplex-any-files-with-ffmpeg
    Quote Quote  
  4. On my tv I want to play them from my Hard Drive or USB stick
    I know my tv will play avi but not sure what else.
    Not at home now to look at the owners manual.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hollywood_12 View Post
    On my tv I want to play them from my Hard Drive or USB stick
    I know my tv will play avi but not sure what else.
    Not at home now to look at the owners manual.
    Both avi and mkv are containers, containers are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are gonna get!

The videos are inside the containers and are encoded in a format determined by the codec. The is an n to n mapping between codecs and containers.

So in order to properly answer your question you really need to tell what your TV supports.

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Format Factory could be one converter that you could try. And it's free. But, use Mediainfo to determine what your settings should be.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess it supports avi divx/xvid. You can use for example xmedia recode, load all mkvs, choose the dvd player preset and convert.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!