VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Would any one please throw light on couple of concepts ... that I have been confused for some time.

First of all

Concept 1
    What is the difference between the DVD 'copy' and DVD 'rip' ? I don't actually speak English very well but I guess 'copy' implies a perfect 1:1 while 'rips' implies a less perfect reproduction, 'rip-off' is a very common term and we know about rip-off very well. Am I right about this concept?

Concept 2
    is making ISO a perfect 1:1 copy/rip? Why don't we simply select all the folders in a DVD disc and do a simple copy-and-paste to our hard drive , but going through the hassle of using a third-party program and creating an ISO or MDF ??
    In fact, I just watched a video on youtube, the man just copied every folders from DVD and pasted to the desktop, he said the whole DVD was copied, is it that simple??? then why ISO?? I am confused.

Concept 3
    It's said by some people on the forum that direct ripping of a DVD to MP4 or other formats is not very wise and may cause permanent bad to the original DVD disc, what does that mean? In fact, what is the most appropriate steps of turning a DVD-video discs into convenient MP4 format?

Thank you and appreciated for any comments
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    What is the difference between the DVD 'copy' and DVD 'rip' ?
    A DVD rip is an exact copy. People use the term rip incorrectly to mean any number of things.
    Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
    is making ISO a perfect 1:1 copy/rip? Why don't we simply select all the folders in a DVD disc and do a simple copy-and-paste to our hard drive , but going through the hassle of using a third-party program and creating an ISO or MDF ??
    3rd party solutions are used to defeat encryption. If there's no encryption you can do a simple cut and paste.
    It's said by some people on the forum that direct ripping of a DVD to MP4 or other formats is not very wise and may cause permanent bad to the original DVD disc
    No damage will occur to the disk. Ripping first, then processing is almost always faster, though.
    Last edited by smrpix; 26th Jan 2015 at 15:31.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    What is the difference between the DVD 'copy' and DVD 'rip' ?
    A DVD rip is an exact copy. People use the term rip incorrectly to mean any number of things.
    3rd party solutions are used to defeat encryption. If there's no encryption you can do a simple cut and paste.
    It's said by some people on the forum that direct ripping of a DVD to MP4 or other formats is not very wise and may cause permanent bad to the original DVD disc
    No damage will occur to the disk. Ripping first, then processing is almost always faster, though.

I once attempted to copy a pressed disc (and the disc was perfectly new) into ISO with all sorts of similar software , those AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter many many, but none of them worked and they all returned with similar error message like LCC Uncorrectable ......I forget what was the message exactly and the disc played correctly (DVD video). What was that? Intentional physical damage to certain sector to avoid being copied? Can I decrypt this kind of discs
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sometimes "bad sectors" on the disc are used as a form of copy protection but AnyDVD can usually bypass those so it doesn't effect ripping.

Most likely the disc actually had bad sectors. Parts the drive couldn't read. Even though it was new.. I've had it happen with discs straight out of the box a couple of times. Badly pressed, I assume.

Players will play the video and probably skip bad sectors. You may not even notice. Or they may only effect parts you haven't watched such as the DVD Extras or menus etc. Ripping software aims for a perfect copy. It's like copying a file with Windows Explorer. It won't copy parts of a file. It either gets it all intact, or it'll give you an error (otherwise you could be copying corrupted files and not know about it). Ripping software can sometimes be configured to try sectors over and over many times until they're read successfully (error free). Some can insert dummy data if that fails and keep ripping, but it's not ideal.

Sometimes, one drive will fail to properly read a disc while another will be successful. I've got several DVD drives and a couple of times I've had to use each one to get an error free copy of the whole disc (one drive will read a section the next drive won't etc). If ripping the whole discs fails, and the ripping software has a "movie only" mode, sometimes it'll rip just the movie without a problem because the bad sectors are elsewhere.
    Quote Quote  
  5. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Concept 1
    What is the difference between the DVD 'copy' and DVD 'rip' ? I don't actually speak English very well but I guess 'copy' implies a perfect 1:1 while 'rips' implies a less perfect reproduction, 'rip-off' is a very common term and we know about rip-off very well. Am I right about this concept?
    DVD copy is a duplication of the original to another optical media. A DVD copy may not be a 1:1 copy, it can be a DVD9 to DVD5 copy. A DVD rip is a copy of the DVD to a hard drive.

Concept 3
    It's said by some people on the forum that direct ripping of a DVD to MP4 or other formats is not very wise and may cause permanent bad to the original DVD disc, what does that mean? In fact, what is the most appropriate steps of turning a DVD-video discs into convenient MP4 format?
    Depending on the software and settings, a conversion to MP4 or other formats may take a long time (hours!). If the conversion is performed directly from the original DVD, it means that the DVD-ROM drive will be subject to a lot of stress. That's why it is advisable to make a DVD rip first (copy it to the hard drive) and then convert.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!