VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    freeware. What do you use? Does any freeware have the best optimization in speed of coversion, output quality, and output size??
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder or handbrake for mp4/mkv. For faster encoding change video encoding to constant quality and preset ultra fast.

And use autogk,fairuse wizard or handbrake 0.9.3 if you want avi.

Or use easy all-in-one adware solutions like freemake video converter, very fast but bundled with tons of adware.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No freeware or payware has the "best optimization". You can't predict the best settings without knowing the input.

There are many easy, "1 click" programs for encoding. I have never seen one that wasn't crap.

There are also very good encoders recommended by the video geeks here much more knowledgeable than me. Unfortunately they aren't suitable for beginners. Video encoding is quite complex and they assume you know what you're doing.

The best ones I've seen as far as having good power and reasonable ease of use are avidemux for xvid and handbrake or vidcoder (the same as handbrake really) for h.264.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by yanyancr View Post
    Does any freeware have the best optimization in speed of coversion, output quality, and output size??
    If you care about quality you should only convert if the target viewer does not support MPEG-2. But most viewers support MPEG-2 just fine so the question is why convert?

If I have to convert I convert to H.264, two pass obviously.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    hi I have just downloaded Handbrake and it looks nice, but I have just gone through some other threads about ripping discs, it looks like it's not a very wise to rip directly from the DVD disc into other formats, or it would cause hours of spinning and overheat, and people say about decryption or copying VOB. I am confused , what the hell is that? Does it mean burning into ISO first??

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ripping involves getting the video off the disc onto your hard drive. If you're going to convert, you'd probably just rip as standard DVD files.
    ISO files are kind of like zip files for discs, so they'd contain the same ripped files, but within a single ISO file.... like you could compress multiple files into a single zip file.

I don't think Handbrake will open copy protected discs anyway, which is another reason for ripping first and the re-encoding (the copy protection is removed while ripping). You'd need to use software dedicated to that job.

There's lots of "all-in-one" programs that rip and convert, but most cost money and aren't all that great in respect to re-encoding quality. Most of the free programs people here use for conversion (ie Handbrake) won't rip, although they can convert the video by directly opening the disc if there's no copy protection.

AnyDVD is popular, but it's not free. It'll rip whole discs itself or it'll sit in the background removing the copy protection so any program could open the disc, but I think it's still better to rip first. I use DVDShrink for ripping with AnyDVD running in the background for those discs DVDShrink can't open by itself (it doesn't handle newer copy protections). By default, DVDShrink will rip and "shrink" if need be. It's set to output a "backup" that'll fit on a single layer blank disc (DVD5) by default. You don't want it to shrink, just rip, so in it's preferences I change the target output size to DVD9 or something larger, and that way when you open a disc and use the backup function it'll just rip without shrinking.

It looks like there's still a few ripping programs that are up to date and free. MakeMKV is on the list. It rips (no converting) but it repackages the audio and video as MKV files rather than keeping the standard DVD vob files. It's often used by people who want to rip but not convert, however Handbrake can still open the MKVs and re-encode them.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/decrypters-dvd-rippers
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    Ripping involves getting the video off the disc onto your hard drive. If you're going to convert, you'd probably just rip as standard DVD files.
    ISO files are kind of like zip files for discs, so they'd contain the same ripped files, but within a single ISO file.... like you could compress multiple files into a single zip file.

I don't think Handbrake will open copy protected discs anyway, which is another reason for ripping first and the re-encoding (the copy protection is removed while ripping). You'd need to use software dedicated to that job.

There's lots of "all-in-one" programs that rip and convert, but most cost money and aren't all that great in respect to re-encoding quality. Most of the free programs people here use for conversion (ie Handbrake) won't rip, although they can convert the video by directly opening the disc if there's no copy protection.

AnyDVD is popular, but it's not free. It'll rip whole discs itself or it'll sit in the background removing the copy protection so any program could open the disc, but I think it's still better to rip first. I use DVDShrink for ripping with AnyDVD running in the background for those discs DVDShrink can't open by itself (it doesn't handle newer copy protections). By default, DVDShrink will rip and "shrink" if need be. It's set to output a "backup" that'll fit on a single layer blank disc (DVD5) by default. You don't want it to shrink, just rip, so in it's preferences I change the target output size to DVD9 or something larger, and that way when you open a disc and use the backup function it'll just rip without shrinking.

It looks like there's still a few ripping programs that are up to date and free. MakeMKV is on the list. It rips (no converting) but it repackages the audio and video as MKV files rather than keeping the standard DVD vob files. It's often used by people who want to rip but not convert, however Handbrake can still open the MKVs and re-encode them.
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/decrypters-dvd-rippers
    for DVD video disc without any protection, can I convert them with handbrake directly into MP4 ? or should I still copy/rip the whole things to the hard drive first and then do the conversion?

can I just simple copy and paste the folders inside DVD and paste to desktop? or should go through making ISO first using other tool?
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. You can just copy the video_ts to your hdd and then convert it with handbrake, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have pounded the internet for the past week trying to find the the answer to this question: One week later I am a bit smarter.

I had a broken DVD disk. Vob #4 was not working. I used Winx DVD ripper to put the entire disk it into a VIDEO_TS file then converted this to a .mpg file. As a VIDEO_TS file it still would not play, but as an .mpg it would play.

Now to convert the .mpg file to .iso file and get it into DVD Shrink 3.2 so I could down size it I tried ImgBurn but it made an .iso file that would not load into Shrink. I used DVDFlick to convert the .mpg file to a VIDEO_TS folder and checked the box in the settings to make an .iso file too. Sent them both to the hard disk. I did not have to burn a disk. I used Shrink 3.2 to resize the .iso file and put it into a VIDEO_TS folder and ImgBurn to put it back onto a disk. Good quality and now the disk will play to the end.

I hope this help some one out. The Winx DVD ripper platinum is $30.00, the free one may do the same but I did not try it. The other programs are free, but be careful where you get the file as they may contain malware.

Best of luck with your projects.
    Quote Quote  
  10. HI EVRYONE
    I AM NEW IN THIS . ALSO DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMUTERS.
    I BOUT 5 IN 1 TEORY TEST DVD FOR THE TEORY TEST IN UK.
    I RUN IT ON MY LAPTOP BUT I WANT IT TO BE RUN ON THE TABLET,IT IS MORE COMPACT.

SO I FIRST LOOK FOR MDF PLAYER AND GOT TWO
    MOBO AND MX
    NOT WORKING WITH MDF FILE(VIRTUAL DVD FILE)

AND NOW I CONVERTED THE DVD'S TO ISO
    MY PLAN IS TO TURN IT TO MP4 AND PLAY IT ON THE TAB
    WHICH RUN ANDROIDE 5.1

THE THING IS
    THISE DVD IS INTERACTIVE
    ONE PART U SEE A VIDIO AND NEED TO PUSH THE BUTEN EVRY TIME YOU SEE HZERD

IT IS NOT JUST U WATCHING SOMETHING

SO IS IT POSIBLE TO WHTCH ON THE TAB?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Try installing VLC on your android device -- it can play ISO images.
    Quote Quote  
  12. BGAM

OK BUT WOULD IT WORK ON MULTIMIDIA DVD
    IT HAS MENUO THAT U NEED TO PUSH ON
    AND ALSO ONE PART IS A VIDEO THAT U NEED TO PUSH EVERY TIME U SEE DENGER IN THE VIDEO

LOOK ON MY LAPTOP I MADE A VIRTUAL DVD AND IT GIVES THE ALL PUNCTIONS

CAN I CREATE THE SAME ON ANDROID5.1
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!